Tank Bags

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Anyone have suggestions about tank bags that fit the NT well? I'm looking to purchase one for my bike with a map pocket but there are hundreds that seem like they would work and even more that look like they wouldn't.
Happy riding.
cheers,

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you go to the Farkles / Accessories Sub Forum and look in the Top Box / Luggage section and you will find see some reviews and other info....

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Sorry about the placement of this post as I'm new to looking around here. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Sorry about the placement of this post as I'm new to looking around here. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Your post is fine, it was just easier to point out where the posts are than try to list them as tank bags are a well discussed farkle....:)

Bike
Silver NT700V
There are many types. Main thing is be sure it is not over about 9 1/2 inched wide or it won't clear the handle bars.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This width limitation is probably the biggest single thing to watch out for! I've got a Nelson-Rigg CL-135 that must be about 11" wide and it's more trouble than the little Nelson-Rigg CL-50 I use on a daily basis. I'm looking for something like the CorTech Ryder or the Bags Connection bag that won't touch my tank. Then I'll be willing to sell the two I've got for not-very-much $$.

Bike
Silver NT700V
+1 on the Bags Connection. Easy on, easy off and the bag does not touch the tank. They have three or four models that should work.

Igo

I've got this Joe Rocket tank bag. http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/luggage/22681.php It was a home-run for my first tank bag. It doesn't have a map window but I use GPS. The dog ears tuck into a sleave under the bag and the magnets hold it solid as a rock. Holds my liter of water, dSLR camera and long zoom lens, my GPS and my HD Camcorder. It is exactly the right width and right length. All magnets land on metal and the entire allowable/available space is utilized. Perfect.

Bike
Silver NT700V
The Bags-Connection bag that I know works is the Daypack. The one I think would work, based on catalog dimensions are Trip, Vina, and City.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
Have you looked at the Givi T480 Tanklock Bag? It hovers above the tank on a ring (#BF03) mounted to the gas tank. It can be mounted in several positions for clearance, forward and back and appears to well designed and thought out. It is 10-1/2" wide and 12-3/8" long. It expands from 8" to 12" (14 to 22 liters), has a rain cover and map pouch and a place to put a GPS in the top. Rather than twisting to remove it it has a lock release lever. For security it has a buckle tether to the handlebar, a shoulder strap and zippered side pockets. I just got it and so have not had much time to put it to use but it looks good to me. Give has a Youtube video that shows how it works. I checked with both Givi and Twisted Throttle about it fitting and both said it would be fine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Robert,

I hadn't seen that. Let me know how it works for you. And let me know soon! I've got tank bag fever! I'm interested to know if it contacts the tank when it's loaded; if the base is really rigid, and, for that matter, if the sides are pretty rigid.

One of the things I liked about the looks of the CorTech Dryver bag is that it seems to be made of some relatively rigid material. I put lots of stuff in a tankbag on a trip, but hate saggy tankbags.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tourmaster makes a tank bag with magnetic mount that works very well on an NT.
I've had some issues with the magnets on my Nelson-Riggs bags scratching the paint. I want to get the bag off the tank.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Couldn't any tank bag be converted to use a gas ring attachment? Just put a stiffener in the bottom of the bag, and then use the ring kit to mount just about anything....

Igo

I've had some issues with the magnets on my Nelson-Riggs bags scratching the paint. I want to get the bag off the tank.
The bottom of my Joe Rocket is almost putty like. No evidence of scratching so far.

Top Bottom