Tank Bags

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Paintguard. I use it. It works.

I tried something that must have been very much like Paintguard even if it didn't come from Sniderproducts.com.

With my magnetic bag, it kept coming loose from the tank and bunching up under the strap that holds the magnet on my Nelson Rigg CL-135. I've got something I bought from David Silver Spares when I bought my replacment Big Lids from them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Couldn't any tank bag be converted to use a gas ring attachment? Just put a stiffener in the bottom of the bag, and then use the ring kit to mount just about anything....

I didn't see where you can buy the part of the gas ring attachment that attaches to the bag. Maybe I just missed it. I'll get the Givi bag and look at it to see if it will work.

I'll post a review (with pictures!) when it comes.

Peace2U_2

Thanks everyone for your insights. I ordered IGO's recommendation....the joe rocket tank bag. nice that they offer free shipping too. I can see this as the first of many orders via suggestions from other members on this site !
Black with gray cammo tank bag......ought to look pretty amazing on the red NT ! stylin' !!!

Igo

As I mentioned earlier, the Joe Rocket doesn't have a clear map pocket but I use a GPS so don't need one. The great things about the Joe Rocket bag is it is just as long and just as wide as available space on the tanks surface metal. It has a heavy magnet that laydown and over the front of the tak. I can easily see my GPS that mounts between the handlebar risers AND it is properly oriented so the zippers open aft of the bag, the bag does not have to be spun around to make all the magnets stick. That and the magnets are very tuff. You'll like the bag. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it after you've used it.
Remember, tuck the side ear magnets back up under the flap that is on the bottom of the bag. They work much better there than hanging over the sides.

I was curious to know if the GIVI T480 had any kind of opening in the front where I could put a cell phone charging cord through to my powerlet.

Jim

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
This may sound bizzare-but--Check Wal-Mart for a Tank bag. They make a magnetic one--also will acommodate straps. If you cut the tab that holds the front left and right magnets off (use a lighter to weld the nylon to keep it from unravelling) Use the front strap on your triple tree. Clear contact paper (discussed on a different thread) and you are home free. It has a clear map pocket, is expandible, has a rain cover (in hideous green) and seems to be well made. I have one on my Deauville. It previously spent two years on my Ninja. Never scratched the tank. I don't remember the price, but it was somewhere around $45. If you have a VIP Auto near you, they also carry it along with helmet bags and bike covers. I have one of their bike covers for the Deauville. That was about $50.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I believe that is a Bell, as in Bell Helmets, branded tank bag and they were asking $19.95 for one at the local Wally World here the last time I saw one....
I don't believe It is Bell--They call it Classic Motogear. Wal-Mart carried it about 2008 when I got it. I have since seen it at VIP Auto. To my recollection, it cost more than $19.95. I remember buying the entire set for $115.00--That was saddlebags, Tank Bag, and Tail Bag. They worked well on the Ninja and I still have them. They are not the quality of Cortech or Nelson-Rigg, but they are a lot of bang for the buck. I plan to get another year out of the Tank Bag.

Bike
Silver NT700V
To offer some opinions (answers) to comments above:

I suppose any bag could be modified to use the quick-lock rings if one wanted to do the work. But you still have a bag not designed with that system in mind. The Bags-Connection bags are shaped and stiffened to accommodate and conceal the rings yet still hold the bag off the tank.

The Quick-Lock ring can be electrified for an electrical connection inside the bag. Thus you can have a GPS or cell phone power hook up in the bag and it disconnects when you remove the bag without separate plugs to undo.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I brought my new NT home March 12 and have had to stare at it in the garage since due to work pressures and ther crappy weather. Other confirming that it fit, I have not really had much time to play with my Givi T480 Tanklock bag or anything else NT related. More snow is predicted tonight but it may be gone by Sunday.

You said you were going to order one. Did it arrive and, if so, is it working for you?

Someone else posted a question about a place for wires and I have not replied. There is a depression for a GPS and a dual zipper so I would have thought so but no time to confirm. Is there?

All the best, ride well,

Bob

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I got the thin black "lock ring adaptor" (or whatever it's called) direct from Givi on Monday. Bag came on Tuesday. Personally I could do without the GPS depression, but other than that, I like the bag OK. On Wednesday morning, I was going to mount it and realized that the bottom half of the lock ring assembly (the part that the adaptor holds down on the gas cap surround) wasn't in the bag. I kalled and talked to Twisted Throttle and got the word that it should have been in the bag from them rather than in the package from Givi. She was going to work on getting it fixed, but I didn't hear anything today.

I guess I won't get to try it on my ride to northern Nebraska tomorrow.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I ordered a T-489 from Chainspeed (UK) as TT was out of stock and a call to GIVI USA said late May for restocks. Good luck on resolving your order issue Phil.

elizilla

I got the thin black "lock ring adaptor" (or whatever it's called) direct from Givi on Monday. Bag came on Tuesday. Personally I could do without the GPS depression, but other than that, I like the bag OK. On Wednesday morning, I was going to mount it and realized that the bottom half of the lock ring assembly (the part that the adaptor holds down on the gas cap surround) wasn't in the bag. I kalled and talked to Twisted Throttle and got the word that it should have been in the bag from them rather than in the package from Givi. She was going to work on getting it fixed, but I didn't hear anything today.

I guess I won't get to try it on my ride to northern Nebraska tomorrow.

Keep calling her until you get it. Hopefully she won't ship it to some other random Tarman in another state and make you wait for him to return it to them.

Peace2U_2

I ordered and received the JOE ROCKET tank bag that IGO suggested (along with web link earlier in this thread). It is fantastic ! secure as a ROCK....

practicality comes first.....but, i have to admit....the black with gray cammo color choice is quite stylin' too. !!!!! (LOL)

highly recommend this tank bag :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Tank Bag Recommendation

I bought the Firstgear Silverstone Mini tank bag and it fits perfect with no adjustments and the magnets are strong enough that I don't need the straps and it's got soft velour type cloth under magnets thats as soft as a baby's butt. It looks beautiful on the faster silver NT.

Igo

I ordered and received the JOE ROCKET tank bag that IGO suggested (along with web link earlier in this thread). It is fantastic ! secure as a ROCK....

practicality comes first.....but, i have to admit....the black with gray cammo color choice is quite stylin' too. !!!!! (LOL)

highly recommend this tank bag :)
Good for you. I knew it was a hit the first time I saw it and I've got many miles on it now. Does look like it was made for the NT.

Igo, does it have an opening to run a power cord from my powerlet so I can charge my cell phone?

Jim

Top Bottom