Tank Panniers?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I don't know why - I just don't like the idea of a tank bag. I've seen them, ridden other folks' bikes with them and just feel wierd with that bulk next to my belly.

But - I still need a place to carry water while on long trips in the summer. I've look at the Aerostitch tank panniers - not to put over the tank on my NT, but put the straps under the seat or maybe around the back of my seat so the panniers hang down near the passenger foot pegs.

Has anybody tried this with an NT? I have a Russell Day-Long seat, and that also might make a difference.

Bike
Silver NT700V
This may make the NT seem very wide at the hips since the panniers will be sitting on top of the side case covers. Also, how will you stabilize them so the wind does not blow them around. I use a small tank bag from Twisted Throttle that mounts with a snap ring, no straps. It is sall enough to not interfere with my arms, a nd I have quite short arms, yet is big enough for a water bottle, hat and other small thing I carry on the road.

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I tried Wolfman Luggage's tank panniers on my Explorer after seeing them on a Wee at a camping trip last fall, but because of the flared fairing on the sides of the tank and my engine guards, there was no suitable position for them, so I sent them back. I think they're basically the same thing as Aerostitch's.

The Wolfman ones have two straps at the bottom of each bag that you secure to whatever is available, which will prevent them from flapping.

If you ran the top straps under the seat, maybe the bottom straps could reach the passenger pegs? You could always order them, try them out, and send them back if it doesn't work out!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I've look at the Aerostitch tank panniers - not to put over the tank on my NT, but put the straps under the seat or maybe around the back of my seat so the panniers hang down near the passenger foot pegs.
Although I haven't tried them on the NT, my friend uses them on his 950 Tiger in that position. They work fine there for him. He has the hard bags on his bike behind where the tank panniers sit. Seems to me like it should work fine. I like the idea of carrying as much weight as possible as low as possible.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I like the idea of carrying as much weight as possible as low as possible.
That is how you are supposed to do it...:D While it isn't stressed nearly as much as it used to be by the MSF the "load triangle" luggage loading concept emphasizes keeping the heaviest loads low and centered. The load triangle is defined as the area between the front axle, the top of the riders helmet, and the rear axle. That is why I prefer to stick with saddlebags and tank bags and avoid big, heavy, hard trunks on motorcycles. I'll also use a "soft" tail bag with light gear in it like my rain suit. I've seen some folks overload their trunks, or T-Bags on sissy bars, so much it amazes me the bike didn't "wheelie" as soon as it comes off the stand! :eek1:

Attachments

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Get a tail bag and strap it on the passenger seat or a small duffel and strap it cross ways across the passenger seat. Very convenient and the bonus is you can use it like a backrest.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Get a tail bag and strap it on the passenger seat or a small duffel and strap it cross ways across the passenger seat. Very convenient and the bonus is you can use it like a backrest.
I might do that if I decide not to go with the tank pannier. I have a small water proof bag now. I'm just looking for a way to get at a bottle of water without having to stop.

kenstone

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Doug,

I just sent you a PM. Please excuse my spelling errors.

Eldon

Bike
I tried the camle back system in the late 90's when running my CONNIE, I found two things I didn't like about it. first it got to be too heavy on my shoulders, second it was a major PIA to refill quickly .

If you want a jacket that will allow you to put a camle back sized bag in it a Aerostich Darin Jacket will hold it, But I don't think you will like the weight of it.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Eldon didn't mention it here (maybe it's in his PM), but he has used Aerostitch tank panniers on the front of his NT. I don't like the way they look, but Eldon seemed to like the way they worked.

I've got a Bags Connection tank bag (a City bag) that I use on trips. It holds a 2-liter Camelback bladder (although I usually only put about 1 1/2 liters of water in it) plus it holds my thermal coffee cup.

bicyclist

I tried the camle back system in the late 90's when running my CONNIE, I found two things I didn't like about it. first it got to be too heavy on my shoulders, second it was a major PIA to refill quickly .
They fixed the refill problem years ago with a large mouth cap. Another nice thing about the cap is that it makes it easy to fill the bladder with ice. I agree about the weight. When I pedaled across the country, I got tired of dealing with it and eventually wound up strapping it to my luggage rack and drinking from my water bottles. I used the Camelbak to refill them.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug,

I just sent you a PM. Please excuse my spelling errors.

Eldon
Eldon - IMHO, you are among the most respected members of this group. Your years of experience are a great help for guys like me who got back in to riding at a late age.

I could care less about your spelling - - and thanx for the PM.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
There's another answer besides adding panniers. Anything behind you will be hard to get at while riding.

I've been using a RAM self-leveling beverage holder for years, first on my Burgman 400, now on my NT. It does interfere with the tank bag, so I didn't use it last weekend on the trip to Cashmere...but went back on when I got home.

I bought the beverage holder and their shortest arm, plus the brake reservoir mount. The nice part about the RAM parts is you can mix them up to use them for other uses like holding a GPS. And they hold up. The only negative I've found is my metal travel mug is a bit heavy and tends to work it's way lower till it will touch the top of the tank when turning the handle bars. You'll also have to do something to keep the self-leveling function from getting out of hand. For a "fix", I used some black duct tape to limit the amount of room it could swing back and forth.

But if you're looking for a place to put some liquid refreshment handy, it works.

Chris
Interesting, Chris. I had a cup holder on a RAM mount on my Burgman - and really liked it. I never thought about mounting it the way you have on the NT.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Some really cool ideas here - thanx, folks.

As most of you have figured out, I just want a way to get some water while riding. As I mentioned to Chris, I used to have a beverage holder on my Burgman, but there's no room on the handlebars for it on the NT. I might just try the reservoir mount he has.

Camelback - some of you have already expressed why I don't want to go that route - the weight on my back. Plus, I ride with a back rest and a bladder would interfere with that.

Tank bag - still might go that way, though I'm just not crazy about tank bags. Phil - I hadn't thought about putting a small bladder in a tank bag. By the way - I seems that Twisted Throttle has changed their tank bags. I don't see a "city bag" listed anymore.

Bicycle panniers - hmmm - gonna check that out.

I already have a water proof bag I can strap behind me. I can put my camera case in it as well as some water. That means, of course, I'll only be able to drink when I stop, and I normally only do that when I refuel.

Thanx all - keep them cards and letters comin' in.

Bike
Doug,

Please don't wait until you need fuel to drink, whichever system you go with being able to take a small sip or a larger one as you are traveling in very important, especially in your southern heat zone. In warm weather I will go through my gallon playplus blader during the time of one tank of fuel to the next, like 160 to 200 miles. I will usuraly sweat enough of it out that I don't have to make a lot of extra bathroom stops, of course everyone's system works differently. I have seen several cases of LACK of Hydration problems and that is not nice! a unexpected aching hand / cramp or just plain old ITIS ach can be signaling you that fluids are needed, also if it gets worse you will start making bad decisions etc.

Many times even when running with my hydration system activated I will also keep a 8 0z bottle in a jacket pocket or some place that I can grab it while in motion those with the pull valve on the cap can be easily opened and allow you to get a drink.

Eldon

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
so here is what a Wolfman looks like under the saddle. For me, it doesn't allow enough room for my feet. I like to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and my heels resting against the rear pegs when I'm on long trips. Just not enough room with the bags in this position.

I also tried them over the tanks, but they kind of get tangled in the cables (especially with my bar backs). Any other spots you'd like to try??
After looking at your photo, then looking at my feet when I got on the bike, I can see that my idea of tank panniers ain't gonna work. Sigh.

Top Bottom