Tank Panniers?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Doug, Twisted Throttle's still got the City Bag in their catalog. They don't show a tank ring for the NT700V, but they've still got one. I don't know the number, but they can figure it out by looking in past catalogs.

The City Bag is narrow at the front and that was what let it work. I've got MCL risers and they don't bring the bars back as much, but I'm pretty sure you could just mount the bag part of the locking gizmo farther forward on the bottom of the bag to make it work.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug, Twisted Throttle's still got the City Bag in their catalog. They don't show a tank ring for the NT700V, but they've still got one. I don't know the number, but they can figure it out by looking in past catalogs.

The City Bag is narrow at the front and that was what let it work. I've got MCL risers and they don't bring the bars back as much, but I'm pretty sure you could just mount the bag part of the locking gizmo farther forward on the bottom of the bag to make it work.
Phil - I think I will go with the smaller Daypack. I've been riding for some time now without a tank bag, so I'm used to carrying a lot of other "stuff", like wallet, keys, glasses case etc in other places. I like Rick's idea too of a smaller bag that would be used for two bottles of water: one for drinking and the other for pouring on my LD shirt.

They list a ring for the NT - Type 106.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Doug, I've got a DayPack too. I use it when I'm just riding around town.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

You probably need to post a picture and diminsions of that Daypack with it mounted on your bike. ricks magnetic doen't look bad , but I have became partial to our security ring mounting!

Doug might just find it helpful in his search also.

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Both of my tankbags have the opening facing forward by design. I like them that way.

I have water bottles with good cap seals. Have not had one leak even with large changes in elevation and temperature.

For drinking while on the road I got a camelback that fit inside the tank bag. MUCH easier to use while on the road. I got one with a 90deg mouthpiece so I could use it with my full face helmet. No trying to get a water bottle out of the bag or fiddling with a cap. Not worrying about dropping it. It was one of those that had freezer packs in it. You could leave it in the freezer overnight and then add liquid. Large enough fill opening so you can add ice during the day.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil,

You probably need to post a picture and diminsions of that Daypack with it mounted on your bike. ricks magnetic doen't look bad , but I have became partial to our security ring mounting!

Doug might just find it helpful in his search also.

Eldon
I'll do that when I get home next week.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
For drinking while on the road I got a camelback that fit inside the tank bag. MUCH easier to use while on the road. I got one with a 90deg mouthpiece so I could use it with my full face helmet. No trying to get a water bottle out of the bag or fiddling with a cap.
That's what I carry in my CityBag.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've enjoyed reading through this thread and have learned a thing or two. Last year i used a WalMart sm back pack/hydration pack and carried it on top of my tent bag on the passenger seat. It was easy to use the hose to drink from while riding. I also have a Shark Evoline helmet but I was able to drink from the hose by just rising the clear face shield. For my long distance endurance runs this year I was not carrying camping equipment so went with a very LARGE expandable. magnetic Nelson Rigg tank bag. It is very fast to take on and off and holds enough snacks and 2L hydration pack to last me a loooong time. I found it even easier to use the hose from the tank bag. I just let the hose hang down outside the bag and grab it whenever I need it. It worked fine for me. Even though the tank bag is very big and heavy fully loaded it didn't interfere at all with the handle bars. However, I'm now planning for my trip up to Prudhoe Bay for next year and so am working on lowing the center of gravity. I'm only using the top case for a storage place for when I need to shed or add jackets while riding. So I purchased another of those cheap small Wal mart back packs/2L hydrations packs and will use the pair to hang where Bob showed the Wolfman packs to be. I'll be traveling light and hopefully the center of gravity will be low. They might not work but at $29 each I didn't waste a lot of money. I might give them a trial run for the TNT meet up. I do have a small clip on tank bag that I use all the time for my daily commute and will use it also for the long trip. It's fun to experiment. Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Have you tried these? They look like they have some potential.

Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
I have not...yet.
Before putting my Aerostich panniers on EBay, I'm going to fit them under the seat.
My feet are relatively small and they might fit.
If not, for $30 bucks, I'll give the Moose a try.

Tim

Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
The Aerostich are too big.
I'm ordering the Moose and will let you know next week.

Bike
I don't know how you are mounting the Stich panniers, but in my opinion they are not to big I rune one strap in front of the fuel door, and the other slightly behind fuel door, and tie them off at the bottom to Hepko Becker tank guards. They provide good weather protection in the WET and when filled with gear , Water etc they offer some good protection as well. I attribute them to saving me from going down last fall when that dumb doe commited suicide by taking me head on. I initially tried them on the rear but that makes the rear end oo wide when putting them over the Tupperware panniers. I have had then on the NT most of its 40 + thousand miles, although just running around local I sometimes leave them off. I also use them on the HD If I decide to use it for traveling.

My knees do touch against them , I do have short legs, 30 inch inseam and I do also use freeway foot pegs similar to Goldwing style Kuryakins also mounted to the Hepko Beckers!

I think the 80 mph Gator encounter would probably also have had a different outcome if not for the stich panniers, again just one old senile dummies opinion based on based on a few years of riding, as one of the rookies that just started riding in 1957 and have never stoped.

Eldon

Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
Eldon

I forgot to point out that I was trying to mount the Aerostich panniers under the seat so they sat just in front of the "saddlebags" and behind the foot pegs.
In such a location they interfere with my boots.
I'd like to keep them and tried them over the tank.
However, in absence of tank/ engine guards, there's no place to tie or zip them down.
Hence the search for a bag which would fit under the seat, let you pack heavy items down low and not interfere with one's boots.

Tim

Bike
Tim,

AH HA, LOL! I must agree with you that they are a mile too large for that space. I did try that way back when the subject came up. About the only way they might work in the back area wold ppossibly be if you were to be running a wide luggage rack and hung them from it, but then they would probably flop in the wind at road speed. Convienience for baggage configurations are not the NT's best quality!
Eldon

Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
Attached, hopefully, are some shots of the Moose Tank Panniers mounted under the seat and behind the pegs.
I'll be adjusting it along the way to Spearfish.
Like it lower, but up high is where they wanted to go.
The forward top just hits my legs.
Loaded with tools and every other relatively heavy item.
photo-27.jpg
photo-10.jpg
photo-15.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I like the way those look. Wish I was going to be there to see how they feel if I was on a bike with them.

Top Bottom