Test rode a Harley today

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Harley owners/riders are something like every one else. They occupy a spectrum -- albeit they occupy a portion of the spectrum that's off to one side of where most of us are.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Most of us may think Harley riders are "off to one side".
Then again most car/truck drivers think the same way about us. Heck I wonder about myself many times.

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
On the subject of (lack of) horsepower in the HD range, a few years ago, I did something that I rarely do.
I had a drag race from the traffic lights against a Sportster 1200 up to 50 mph (80kph).
I had to push the Honda close to the red-line in 1st and second gears but I managed to beat the Sportster quite easily to the point of shutting the throttle to avoid going too far over the speed limit (80kph).
I could hear the HD just behind me over my left shoulder all the way (loud exhaust).
I got a very good jump away from the start. That is probably what did it for me.
I expected it to overtake me easily, but no!
Not bad for a Dullesville as some people refer to the NT.

On other group rides (VJMC mostly), I have people comment that the NT is a lot quicker through the twisty stuff than they expected it to be.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
So it appears we have three subsets of motorcycle enthusiasts...... Bikers/Pirates..... Power Rangers..... Armadillos (ATGATT's), right?

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
True.

But at least most of the Power Rangers don't give us sound effects.

If I don't want to see something, it's easy to look away. Less so to avoid the 120 db assault on the ears - especially after the bars close.
Remember, each db is equal to .5 hp. So, 120 divided by two =

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Took the safety course at the H-D Dealer. It was a good course. The 750cc Harleys were not too bad. I much prefer the Honda NT

Larry Rogers

Many of us have had an encounter with HD. I bought one some years ago with the foolish notion that they would retain their value. It was the Electra Glide with many of the stock bells and whistles, but with the standard Screaming Eagle cam to help it eek out HP at least as fast as a WW II tank. Got rid of it after a couple years. Could not hear the radio, did not like wrestling half a ton of metal around and got tired of paying the insane high insurance. I must say, it was comfortable on the highway, but not worth it. With all the criticism and sometimes praise for HD riders, I have found that they tend not to wave when passing them unless I am riding a HD also.

Bike
2010 NT700V
When my wife and I are out with our Slingshot, I make it a point to wave and/or do the two fingers down salute. The Harley guys do not respond. Honda riders always respond.

After a few miles on a shaker, your arm is numb. A wave is out of the question.

Bike
2010 NT700V
When my wife and I are out with our Slingshot, I make it a point to wave and/or do the two fingers down salute. The Harley guys do not respond.
To be fair to the Harley guys, the Slingshot isn't a motorcycle. You might as well be giving the motorcycle wave out of an ice cream truck or any other random vehicle and expecting a wave back

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I wave to Harleys and they wave back , irregardless whether , I'm on the NT or the KLR or the YZFR3.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I left Greeley on Tuesday morning, I saw a lot Harley riders heading the other way and not a single one of them waved back at me until I was between Billings and Laurel. From then on, most of the riders I saw, whether they were on Harleys or BMWs waved.

When JustPassinThru and I were carrying my stuff down to the bike before breakfast on Wednesday in Missoula, we were parked next to very nice older woman who was riding an Harley trike. We talked to her and her husband and they couldn't have been friendlier. The had been to Sturgis, so if I catch CoVid-19, I'm gonna' blame it on them.

Bike
2010 NT700V
To be fair to the Harley guys, the Slingshot isn't a motorcycle. You might as well be giving the motorcycle wave out of an ice cream truck or any other random vehicle and expecting a wave back
License plate, title and insurance policy say different. In some states, a motorcycle license is required.
So, a Tri Glide is a . . . .?

Bike
2010 NT700V
License plate, title and insurance policy say different. In some states, a motorcycle license is required.
So, a Tri Glide is a . . . .?
It has car tires. It has pedals and a steering wheel. Its handling is car physics, not that of a 2 wheeler. Motorcycle riding skills don't apply. And because motorcycle riding skills don't apply, most localities do not require a M-class to operate one, just a standard driving license. Too be specific, there's only 4 remaining states that require an M-class. The other 46 states just require a regular driving license.

The Tri Glide is already watering down what's a "motorcycle", but at least you need to be familiar with motorcycle controls to operate one. No motorcycle knowledge is needed to drive a slingshot

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I went through a Harley phase, but I got over it. There was a lot of dressing up in Harley clothes and hanging out and not a lot of riding. Harley is a master of marketing. The devoted are willing to tattoo the brand on their body. You don't see many Honda tattoo's.
Join the VFR facebook page...THEY have them.

Top Bottom