The 2018 NT Gathering in WV

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Re: 2018 NT Gathering in WV

It was so great meeting everyone, new and old aquaintences. I always enjoy showing foks some of my favorite routes. I'm already anxious for next years gathering no mater where we may end up. Here is the link to my album on the site. I have several other pics I may add.

PS; Thanks everyone for the kudos. I truely enjoy sharing the routes I have enjoyed for many years. Come again and we'll do some roads with lots of sweepers next time if we return to this area next year.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=578

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

Wow!! Great pix!! Sure sorry I missed the event. Glad y'all had a great time.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys

Good pics. Glad you missed most all of the rain and storms traveling around the area.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Thanks for the pictures. What a wonderful event you folks enjoyed. Sorry to have missed it - again. The pictures bring back memories of some of my rides particularly the big (BIG) bucket from the old mine and I know I've seen several covered bridges in OH, but none of the pictures looked familiar. Must be a lot of them there.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690

I left the lodge at 6:15 Sunday morning and rode four hours south to pick up the toyhauler. Then drove to Jacksonville arriving 10 pm. I had a great time in West Virginia. WV Rider showed us some good roads and places to eat. I made new friends and got some good ideas for future mods. Thanks to all those who participated.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

It was good to meet you, Jim! Glad you got home OK.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

We had a good turnout for our NT Gathering and I was especially happy to see lots of new faces.

Obviously North Bend SP & Lodge went out of their way to make us feel comfy. The camping area was a bit further from the lodge than I'd expected but still far closer than the one in Davis so that was a plus. And the food at the lodge had the Sawmill Restaurant in Davis beat hands down. I liked being able to share breakfast and dinner in one place with the entire group, plus lunch on the ride loops was always as a group. I never made it to the evening campfire gatherings but Deb said they were great.

There were some requests to move the event further east by several hours but Duane and I have mutually decided to keep it at North Bend SP for at least another year. I'm afraid that moving it further east will make it an "east coast" event, making it more difficult for some people from the Midwest to attend. We'll have it roughly the same weekend in May and you'll have plenty of notice on this website. Duane had a few loops we never rode so we'll have fresh ground to ride plus he'll include more roads with gentle sweepers and not the near-constant, lefts and rights of WV 16.

Thanks to everyone for attending and see y'all next year! :)

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA

I picked an event West of you and caught a frog strangler one day. That morning Vshadow totaled his bike low siding into a guard rail totaling his bike. He is fine after his checkups.

I'm afraid that moving it further east will make it an "east coast" event, making it more difficult for some people from the Midwest to attend.
Pocahontas county is about 275 miles from Youngstown Ohio. I rode 340 miles and Woodcraft probably rode further to North Bend. Does leaving it in North Bend make it a "Midwest" event?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

There is no rule that more NT events could be organized by anyone. I suggested the TNT (4years ago?) then pancreatitis kept me from attending. I never attend the WV Gathering always something (this year MotoGP), but ride there southern OH, and such often. You are hard pressed to find a nicer area to ride.

It takes some initiative to organize a ride like WV Gathering, and thanks for stepping up to do the event. If someone wants a event another time of of the year further east or west, suggest it and be ready to help plan. There are 2 events that many enjoy, and maybe July or August could use a event.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

There are truly no perfect locations for an event and the best you can hope for is that people show up and the weather mostly cooperates.

Duane (WVRider) and Bob started this event with just one or two other NT riders and I came along a year or two later. The best thing about it is that it has continued all these years and North Bend might be the 3rd or 4th location and this last one probably equaled our best year in regards to attendance when we had it in Davis. Some of the original players have dropped off and we've fortunately picked up a few new ones.

Many thanks to everyone who attended and we hope to see you next year so please stay healthy and keep the rubber side down! :)

ps. ...Duane has promised more gentle sweepers on his routes for 2019.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

Last night at dinner, we yakked with Dave (Woodaddict) about his humongous mileage totals. He lives 48-49 miles from work and except for a handful of off-days, he uses his NT as a daily commuter. Like clockwork, rear tires are replaced at 6-months and front tires at 10-months...wow!
just put both front and rear tires on. this only happened 1 other time that they both end tire life at same time. I have kept track to see when I paid off my tire changer, @$28 for dealer to change when I took off tire and just took tire/rim to them. I past the changer paying for itself a while ago, but @ 6.5 yrs of NT ownership I have put on 23 tires. more rears than fronts, didn't look up breakdown on that.

@190,190 miles, these will be my last 2 on bike. retiring after I hit 200K

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

just put both front and rear tires on. this only happened 1 other time that they both end tire life at same time. I have kept track to see when I paid off my tire changer, @$28 for dealer to change when I took off tire and just took tire/rim to them. I past the changer paying for itself a while ago, but @ 6.5 yrs of NT ownership I have put on 23 tires. more rears than fronts, didn't look up breakdown on that.

Do you know how many miles you had on the set of "????" you just took off?

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

One thing is certain, Dave got "full value" from the front tire on his bike at North Bend! :rolleyes:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

Why retire it at 200K? If it is still running OK, why not see how far it will go?

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

Why retire it at 200K? If it is still running OK, why not see how far it will go?

Mike
thats far enough for me. I can sell it for pennies, vs nothing, if something major happens. I have red NT with 508 miles waiting in stable since Nov 17

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

FRONT Dunlop rdsm2 17,958
REAR mich PR4 12,367 neither are at top of my best miles

I installed rdsm3 and pr5

Bike
Bonneville T120

I picked an event West of you and caught a frog strangler one day. That morning Vshadow totaled his bike low siding into a guard rail totaling his bike. He is fine after his checkups.
That's for getting that out. Yeah I'm fine, amazingly. After 20 days State Farm still has not told me if the bike is actually totaled. To the best of my knowledge, as of this morning no one has provided an estimate of the damage. At one point they lost my bike and called me to see if I had the bike. Hahahaha. They have been good with a couple of car claims but this experience with them has been terrible.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Insurance should be easy. I have Progressive on motorcycles, RV (through FMCA) and a car. Never had a issue, when motorcycle accident, adjuster came to house while I was still in hospital: estimated damage, check arrived about one week. He left card with wife, and said soon as I purchase a new helmet let him know. I used a little JB weld, replaced only 1 part (64360-MEW-9200) and had a nice $2+K check.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Dan, glad to hear your weren't injured. That's the most important thing.

Insurance companies can be a real pain to deal with. I was satisfied with Progressive until they decided to start raising their prices at a very unacceptable rate. They had no answer about why they raised their prices so much.

Sorry to hear about State Farm, because that's who I have now. Hope you can get things straightened out with them.

Top Bottom