The new way of bikes?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Saw that for $13,000 Euros, you could buy a DCT 750 , 520 lb Honda X ADV scooter/NT. With a chain, but with wire tubeless wheels...Maybe this is the way of a market trend? Not my style and not for the money but prehaps for some...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The X-ADV is heavier and has a taller seat height than my NC700XD, both of which make it a non-starter! :(

I recently bought a 2013 CB500F with under 6k miles on the odometer. It weighs only 420 pounds wet and has a seat height of just as hair under 31 inches. It clicks all the boxes for me!

CB500F left side.JPG:thumb:

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The cool factor!! No wonder!! That answers the question... I am decidedly, not cool!

:thumb:

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Unless I am missing something (highly likely!) an adventure scooter is a solution to a problem no one has.

Mike
[/QUOTE

Honda has an ADV350 that is not sold in the US and also an ADV150 that is sold in the US. These have CVT transmissions while the X-ADV750 has the DCT. The styling is similar for all three. All three of these are very good sellers internationally and other manufactures are starting to release their own versions.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yeah, I know <sigh>, I guess it's what I said above, I guess I'm just not cool. What are the advantages of an ADV scooter vs an ADV motorcycle?

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Periodically Honda has introduced motorcycles without an established segment of the market: PC800, Trans-Alp 600, GB500, Rune, etc. ..and now the ADV350. Sometimes it works and sometimes. The original Gold Wing was introduced as a superbike and no one imagined it would become the ultimate, long distance touring bike for many decades.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I wouldn't call the CRF300LS a "short bike." It has a seat height of 32.7." It is shorter than the standard non-S model by 2."

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Yeah, I know <sigh>, I guess it's what I said above, I guess I'm just not cool. What are the advantages of an ADV scooter vs an ADV motorcycle?

Mike
Not sure there is an advantage other than it’s a scooter. The US is not a scooter market but much of Europe and Asia is and those that ride and love scooters see an advantage to an ADV version. All kinds of videos of them being ridden in all kinds of off pavement conditions.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I wouldn't call the CRF300LS a "short bike." It has a seat height of 32.7." It is shorter than the standard non-S model by 2."
I'm inclined to agree. But who am I to disagree with Honda's marketing geniuses that are paid to generate that "stuff" and spam my email?🤔

That sad part is when I poked around the Powersports website I didn't see a single bike that interested me. :rolleyes:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Not sure there is an advantage other than it’s a scooter. The US is not a scooter market but much of Europe and Asia is and those that ride and love scooters see an advantage to an ADV version. All kinds of videos of them being ridden in all kinds of off pavement conditions.
You are right, I was really only considering the US market where we don't appreciate the scooter as much as other markets do.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
IMO is such for folks who buy themselves an image/appearance rather then an actual vehicle/means of transportation...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
The US is not a scooter market...
With the PC800 Honda invented the "large scooter" long before big scoots (>50cc) became a fashion & popular...
The PC was purely intended for the US marked, never launched in Europe, the few existing here are "grey imports"...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The seem to recall seeing some PC800s in non-USA colors and I believe they were sold through Honda France?

The PC 800 and even the beloved NT is the motorcycle version of the current trend towards the Hybrid auto we are seeing...Not a Station Wagon....Not a sedan ..Almost a scooter!...The modern day Scooter is a very versatile mode of transport..Huge weather protection...Automatic Transmission...Low center of gravity....Utility storage and handling and performance that matches the current automobiles...Almost seemingly designed for the over 70s ?... group of hardened motorcyclists....!... popcorn anyone?..

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The PC 800 and even the beloved NT is the motorcycle version of the current trend towards the Hybrid auto we are seeing...Not a Station Wagon....Not a sedan ..Almost a scooter!...The modern day Scooter is a very versatile mode of transport..Huge weather protection...Automatic Transmission...Low center of gravity....Utility storage and handling and performance that matches the current automobiles...Almost seemingly designed for the over 70s ?... group of hardened motorcyclists....!... popcorn anyone?..
The only drawback to large scooters that I see is the lack of storage capacity. Some have the availability of a top box but the underseat storage isn't comparable to panniers. The weather protection would be ideal though. Maybe I should invent the sport touring scooter and become rich!

Mike

I have seen a Suzuki Bergman scoot with a full size rear box Plus hard saddlebags when the wife and I was out West..A couple were on their way to a BMW M/C Rally in Billings Mt...He rode a huge GS BMW and she had a 650 Bergman...seemed like the pannier setup was specific for the scooter...Both bikes were loaded to the gill and they were tent camping along the way....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, I have a friend who lives in No Kentucky and he rides a 650 Burgman fitted with large Givi top box and hard-mounted saddlebags of unknown brand.

Top Bottom