Thinking of Buying an NT

Hello forum members. I'm an avid motorcyclist and have restored many old Hondas over the years. I currently have three bikes - a 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing, a 1983 CB1100F resto-mod, and a 1986 VFR750F. The Gold Wing is my "vacation bike" that I keep at our summer cottage. I've been thinking about upgrading to a much newer bike with fuel injection, better suspension, and one that's comfortable to take my wife on for nice rides. I just came across a 2011 ABS model with under 10K miles on it and in very nice shape. It's local to me, so I hope to see it in person next week. I would like your opinions on if this is a good two-up bike (wife is tiny and under 110lbs) and if there are typical issues with these that I should know about up front. I maintain all my bikes and would do the same with this one.

How is the bike in twisties and does it seem to have plenty of power? Since it's considered a sport touring bike, does it feel like one and is it fun in the twisties?

Have at it and tell me what I need to know before I consider the purchase.

Thanks and Happy Memorial Weekend to everyone.

Tom

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I won't comment on 2 up riding since I did very little of it.
The bike is respectable in the twisties and most enjoy it's handling. A good solid ride.
As far as weak points the pannier latches come to mind. Do some searches here to see more about them. Many have fixed the latch problem with external latches that seems a good fix.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The NT will handle two-up duty with aplomb provided the two aren't large people. It won't have the room that your 'Wing has but it is comfy for short overnighters. It handles nice in the twisties and has plenty of power for most folks.

Mike

OP
OP
Thanks for the comments so far. Being accustomed to inline fours as well as the 4 cylinder boxer in my GL, I'm wondering how you all feel about the Vtwin? I think I read somewhere here that someone put over 100K miles on theirs. Is the engine considered to be very reliable? Any issues that it's known for in regards to leaks, charging issues, or any common problems known to that model?

I have nothing to lose, so I plan to go look at the low mileage bike on Wednesday. A quick ride should tell me everything I need to know as far as how it feels overall.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Thanks for the comments so far. Being accustomed to inline fours as well as the V4 in my GL, I'm wondering how you all feel about the Vtwin?
Riding ST1100 since '92, I got my GF a used NT700VA... she loves that thing to bits, riding Feb till Nov...
Rider/handling: seating position on the NT astonishingly comfy, brilliant rider seat, steering geos and handling uncomplicated and precise as an ST (typical Honda), excellent brakes, engine a little rough below 2400rpm and getting noisy above 4500... it's a 2 cyl... still astonishingly agile, of course not the easily "just throttle away" as a V-4 plant... a tad top heavy due the tank over engine concept, but lightweight once rolling...
pillion/seating: rear not as spacious as on the ST, passenger seat a tad hard, bumps pretty noticeable... aftermarket seats are avail though...

Luggage capacity is an issue... even with the deeper/larger pannier lids and a top-case installed it's barely enough for one when planning longer trips...

Technically it appears as reliable as an ST, similar rear end maintenance (lube splines with >60% Moly, check/replace hub dampers), have an eye on brakes and wheel bearings, flush (and I mean really flush, with lots of liquid, linked brakes with ABS modulator/unit in the center) brake system, fork oil, seals, bushings, head bearings...
Her NT had a little clicking on the rear shock, I first thought it's the needle bearing at the bottom and replaced it, turned out that the top mounting bolt wasn't fully tightened...
Also added some ATF into the hydraulic preload adjuster, as the knob required like 20 turns till resistance was noticeable... now it's two clicks from fully out...

Engine service a little complicated, access requires removal of the tank, fuel line features a quick coupling though (it's a Honda :cool: )...
Plastic air box cover held by self tapping screws, so care is advised upon re-installation: gently rotate counter clockwise till you feel the bolt's thread sinking into the old grooves, then tighten... failure to do so will damage the holes in the air-box... (such is a sign of the times, my good old ST1100 has brass inserts molded in the plastic and metric screws...)
PAIR plumbing and some air-baffles are in the way, forward cyl valve access requires removal of radiator... as with any transverse mounted V-2...
Adjusting valves straightforward, spanner/glider have wear indicators... they'll last for a couple of years though...
I installed new valve cover seals; my SOP, avoiding any oil seepage, and I'm not in the mood to dig in there again over attempting to safe on the rather cheap gaskets & gromets ...

Pannier lids and locking system appear to be a weak spot one should have an eye on...
The screw supports on the plastic can break; fixing/adding support with 2K epoxy advised...
Same on the bolts holding the limiter bands, GF broke them pretty soon... used some masking tape as mold, fill with epoxy, drill, re-tap the screw, done... annoying but fixed easily...
Locking mechanism (located deep under the seat) was blocked with gunk, lock barrel hard to operate (the keys that came with the bike had already cracks...), flushed with brake cleaner and cleaned with an old toothbrush, re-lubed with silicone spray/oil only... working fine and smooth now... I do that once a year though...

It stands and falls with the quality of service and treatment by the owner... if he/her is a fan of pressure-washers you'll see damaged wheel- & head-bearings, rusted in handlebar weights, etc...
If the tires got installed in a backyard shop, splines might be dry and rusted, hub dampers worn and loose...
I found aftermarket rotors and pads (latter even swapped in/outside during installation :rolleyes: ), changed all to OEM, working flawless now...

Another thing I'd noticed: the starter always sounded pretty strained with AGM or geel batteries (EFI -> higher compression) requiring some cranking till it finally fired, occasionally it even took 3~4 times clicking the button till the starter even spun (yes I did clean and lube the switch-pods ;)); installed a LiFePO4 (NOCO NLP14) and it fires within 2 turns of the starter motor...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks for the comments so far. Being accustomed to inline fours as well as the 4 cylinder boxer in my GL, I'm wondering how you all feel about the Vtwin? I think I read somewhere here that someone put over 100K miles on theirs. Is the engine considered to be very reliable? Any issues that it's known for in regards to leaks, charging issues, or any common problems known to that model?

I have nothing to lose, so I plan to go look at the low mileage bike on Wednesday. A quick ride should tell me everything I need to know as far as how it feels overall.
Tom, there are many NT's on the forum that have reached and exceeded 100K on the clock. Mine has 138,000 and going strong. Phil Tarman's first NT had 137K when he traded it for another NT. Wood Addict has >200K when he traded it for a newer NT which I believe is approaching the 100K mark.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tom, Mike said my 1st NT had 137K when I traded it in, but it was really 139K. #2, which is a slightly older bike (16 serial numbers older than #1) only has 28K. I haven't ridden since 12/21, health problems for both my wife and I, but hope to get back on it very soon.

The biggest issues I had with #1 were having to have the rear end rebuilt twice, both times because Honda mechanics failed to relube the splines after a tire change; a fuel pump failure at about 115K, and somebody (another Honda mechanic I'm sure, but I can't prove it) stripped the valve cover bolt holes and I had to have them heli-coiled.

I had ridden a pair of '99 Kawasaki Concour 165K before buying my 1st NT in '10. I've been very happy with the NTs. I've had Russell seats on everything since I got my first Connie. I've got an McCruise electronically actuated, Clearwater Darla driving lights, a Givi top box, the OEM undercowl, big lids, a V-stream windscreen, heated grips, and several other things on NT #2. Both of my NTs have been lowered.

I've only had a passenger on the back of my NT once, but it handled both of very well. On my 21K Epic Post-Retirement Ride in '13. I carried camping gear and probably was carrying more stuff than your wife weighs.

P1050334 (2017_11_17 00_21_56 UTC).JPG

I don't think you can go wrong with an NT.

OP
OP
Quite the testaments to these bikes. Sounds like some basic maintenance keeps them going for a very long time. I'm looking forward to looking at the <10K mile black model this week. If it feels as good the reputation it has, it might be my next vacation bike. Thanks for all the great inputs.

Riding ST1100 since '92, I got my GF a used NT700VA... she loves that thing to bits, riding Feb till Nov...
Rider/handling: seating position on the NT astonishingly comfy, brilliant rider seat, steering geos and handling uncomplicated and precise as an ST (typical Honda), excellent brakes, engine a little rough below 2400rpm and getting noisy above 4500... it's a 2 cyl... still astonishingly agile, of course not the easily "just throttle away" as a V-4 plant... a tad top heavy due the tank over engine concept, but lightweight once rolling...
pillion/seating: rear not as spacious as on the ST, passenger seat a tad hard, bumps pretty noticeable... aftermarket seats are avail though...
Hi ST1100Y, sorry for thread divert, but does the NT feel a lot lighter or easier to handle than the ST ?(never ridden either), i have an opportunity to buy a really nice ST, but i'm getting old :).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Hi ST1100Y, sorry for thread divert, but does the NT feel a lot lighter or easier to handle than the ST ?(never ridden either), i have an opportunity to buy a really nice ST, but i'm getting old :).
ST1100: 312kg/687lbs...
NT700: 250kg/550lbs...
It ain't an issue when coasting down the road, but maneuvering in a parking lot, driveway, garage...
When pushing them up on my bike-lift, the NT definitely feels a lot lighter...
Interestingly will the ST flip easier on its main-stand then the NT, different leverage on the stand and pedal...
Friend of mine on his ST1300 has also gotten himself an NT700VA over the weight issues...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The NT is neither quick nor fast but it is plenty quick and fast enough. I was once riding the Arizona Dragon (AZ191). When I stopped for a break some sport bike riders who had been in front of me as well as behind told me I was holding my own with the sport bikes. The bike can cruise for hours at 85 once broken in. The engine is bullet proof and reliable.
The weather protection is good
I would add heated grips

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
NT has 64 hp. I had 2 Honda PC800 with carbs, had 46 hp, but had that 100cc more. the NT is a peppy bike, that fuel inj makes it great

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
I just rode mine two-up for the first time tonight. (I've had it a week.) It's very well behaved with a passenger. We'll be riding it all day on a group ride on Saturday.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think you know your bikes...I have been riding since 1965....the main thing is that YOU ride the bike and decide. You will know in 15 minutes or less if it is the bike for you. Nothing wrong with taking your wife on the NT. I toured for years on mine with up to an 80 lb load....it has enough power to go for a ride two up....its not a VFR, or an FJR or even a Vstrom.....but its a good bike and its not that hard to work on if you read the sub forums here for tricks on how to make maintenance easier. The main thing too, and you know this already, is to go through the bike before riding two up....how old years wise are the tires? Are the fluids changed? How are the brake pads.....the sub forums here are a wealth of knowledge.....

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I put more than 50K miles on mine and love it. If I was looking for a new one I might skip the Hondas and look at the Yamaha Sport tours...

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Not sure if it has been mentioned but quite a few forum members have had to replace the crank position sensor.

If you do your own maintenance it is a fairly easy job even though you have to loosen the exhaust to remove the side cover.

Seagrass

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Go for it ! Best all round motorcycle I've ever owned, and that's quite a few since 1976. It's great for short runs, weekend rides and 25 day camping adventures across the country. NT is at 88K and going. Edit; PS; Woodaddict had 201,111 miles on his first NT before he sold it and now has over 92K on his second. The NT is very reliable.

Last edited:
Hello forum members. I'm an avid motorcyclist and have restored many old Hondas over the years. I currently have three bikes - a 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing, a 1983 CB1100F resto-mod, and a 1986 VFR750F. The Gold Wing is my "vacation bike" that I keep at our summer cottage. I've been thinking about upgrading to a much newer bike with fuel injection, better suspension, and one that's comfortable to take my wife on for nice rides. I just came across a 2011 ABS model with under 10K miles on it and in very nice shape. It's local to me, so I hope to see it in person next week. I would like your opinions on if this is a good two-up bike (wife is tiny and under 110lbs) and if there are typical issues with these that I should know about up front. I maintain all my bikes and would do the same with this one.

How is the bike in twisties and does it seem to have plenty of power? Since it's considered a sport touring bike, does it feel like one and is it fun in the twisties?

Have at it and tell me what I need to know before I consider the purchase.

Thanks and Happy Memorial Weekend to everyone.

Tom,
if you have already bought the NT 700 V then my reply is a bit late but here goes!
Before buying my NT, I owned ST 1100‘s and 1300’s and I regarded both those bikes as sports tourers but I would not regard the NT as a sports tourer ———more of a regular commuting bike.
Primarily, it is a budget bike built to a price and is it fun in the twisties?————heck no!
The bike will be capable of riding 2 up but don’t expect much in the way of excitement———-in the U.K. its predecessor was known as the Deauville ( nicknamed Dullville).
It’s happiest doing 55—65 m.p.h.——it will do more than that, of course but I can tell it doesn’t like it as it’s revving quite high.
Being a shaft, it only has the power of a 580 c.c. bike ( or thereabouts) so don’t expect a kick in the pants.
It’s saving grace is good gas mileage———55 m.p.g.+.
Regards,
Graham Watson

Top Bottom