Thinking of Buying an NT

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Tom,
if you have already bought the NT 700 V then my reply is a bit late but here goes!
Before buying my NT, I owned ST 1100‘s and 1300’s and I regarded both those bikes as sports tourers but I would not regard the NT as a sports tourer ———more of a regular commuting bike.
Primarily, it is a budget bike built to a price and is it fun in the twisties?————heck no!
The bike will be capable of riding 2 up but don’t expect much in the way of excitement———-in the U.K. its predecessor was known as the Deauville ( nicknamed Dullville).
It’s happiest doing 55—65 m.p.h.——it will do more than that, of course but I can tell it doesn’t like it as it’s revving quite high.
Being a shaft, it only has the power of a 580 c.c. bike ( or thereabouts) so don’t expect a kick in the pants.
It’s saving grace is good gas mileage———55 m.p.g.+.
Regards,
Graham Watson
It sounds to me like you got on the NT expecting to be disappointed. It's little more than half the displacement of the ST1300, so it won't be the rocket that bike is. I can ride at ridiculously irresponsible speeds on my 40-year-old CX500. Power isn't everything.
You can have fun in the twisties on anything. It all depends on your attitude and skill level.

P.S. When you quote another post, put your comments after [/QUOTE].

It sounds to me like you got on the NT expecting to be disappointed. It's little more than half the displacement of the ST1300, so it won't be the rocket that bike is. I can ride at ridiculously irresponsible speeds on my 40-year-old CX500. Power isn't everything.
You can have fun in the twisties on anything. It all depends on your attitude and skill level.

P.S. When you quote another post, put your comments after
[/QUOTE]

P.S. When you quote another post, put your comments after
[/QUOTE]
Randall - in - Mpls,
Tom asked for an opinion before his potential purchase of an NT700 and I gave him my opinion.
Perhaps you could give him your opinion on the NT.
I’m not disappointed with my NT as I knew of its limitations compared with the ST’s ——- it’s an OK bike but that’s all.
Regarding the position of my reply to Tom in the wrong place, I’m sorry that it made it difficult for you to read.
Regards,
Graham Watson

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I just came back from a 10 day 2500 mile ride through Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I got off the bike each day with a smile on my face. Smooth, plenty of power, shaft drive, comfortable seat, easy riding position, telepathic handling. I highly recommend the NT. Mine now has 42,000 and I just do the standard maintenance.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I just came back from a 10 day 2500 mile ride through Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I got off the bike each day with a smile on my face. Smooth, plenty of power, shaft drive, comfortable seat, easy riding position, telepathic handling. I highly recommend the NT. Mine now has 42,000 and I just do the standard maintenance.
Pretty much exactly a good summation. A Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally, talking with dealers, its all about adv tourers. The market for an improved nt...basically a cruise control, big lids standard, and a smoother, higher horse engine, doesn't exist in the US anymore. Sad but we are dinasaurs...glad I have my VFR.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The NT was and still is a great "practical bike;" unfortunately practical doesn't sell and even in 2010 sales were dismal to say the least. All of the magazine scribes wanted a sport tourer with 100+ HP that could do the quarter mile in 11.0 secs and the NT didn't fit that bill. ;)

Last edited:
I think a lot of dealers and manufactures are kinda short sighted. Yes, those 100 hp sport touring bikes sell, but after scaring themselves many times....or worse, many drop out out of the bike market all together. As a group, we that stay with motorcycles, tend to be older and somewhat more practical. I'm probably wrong, after Honda and others spend fortunes doing market research, but they are loosing market each year. Young "would be riders" just cannot afford those 900 lb, 100+ horsepower VERY expensive bikes. Oh well, I've been riding since 1964 and this will likely be my last motorcycle, so my thoughts really don't matter much. I am so glad I found the NT700V.

Cliff

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I think a lot of dealers and manufactures are kinda short sighted. Yes, those 100 hp sport touring bikes sell, but after scaring themselves many times....or worse, many drop out out of the bike market all together.
Cliff
One of my friends wanted to get into motorcycles and asked my advice. I told him to get a nice two cylinder 500cc bike to start on, then graduate to a bigger bike once he got the hang of it. He instead bought a Ducati Monster (111 HP), rode it twice, and was so scared of it, he parked it in his living room as "art". Never rode again.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
One of my friends wanted to get into motorcycles and asked my advice. I told him to get a nice two cylinder 500cc bike to start on, then graduate to a bigger bike once he got the hang of it. He instead bought a Ducati Monster (111 HP), rode it twice, and was so scared of it, he parked it in his living room as "art". Never rode again.
I've seen this happen as well. There seems to be two extremes: the guy who buys a 250cc Rebel so he can flat-foot at stops and "not get into trouble" with the power, vs the guy who buys the Monster (or some other facsimile thereof) as you described and parks it for different reasons.

When my son in law was getting into motorcycling two years ago we attended the MSF BRC together at one of the local Harley shops. They used the 500cc Harley for the school, so he was comfortable looking minimally at that displacement. He later bought in the 650cc class and has ridden weekly, sometimes commuted daily, ever since.

The NT I am finding is an excellent mid-sized tourer and commuter. The sport-tourers have long been my favorites, so had I known about the NT when I shed my last beemer and bought the Wing in 2016, I might well have skipped the Gold Wing. The upshot is that I can see someone doing the BRC and then being comfortable with an NT700 as an entry ride into the hobby. It's too bad that Honda doesn't see the potential in the market.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...It's too bad that Honda doesn't see the potential in the market...Basketcase"

Just out of curiosity, how would Honda go about making the NT attractive to BRC grads?

As a previous poster commented, too many of them have eyes on something big, powerful, and fast. To continue to produce something (the NT) that doesn't sell is a good way to lose lots of money.

The NT was very popular in Europe and the UK, starting with the 650 version then onto the 700s. That lasted maybe 10 years then the market sort of turned as it always does and suddenly the NT was as popular as last week's Sunday paper.

Last edited:

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
"...It's too bad that Honda doesn't see the potential in the market...Basketcase"

Just out of curiosity, how would Honda go about making the NT attractive to BRC grads?

As a previous poster commented, too many of them have eyes on something big, powerful, and fast. To continue to produce something (the NT) that doesn't sell is a good way to lose lots of money.

The NT was very popular in Europe and the UK, starting with the 650 version then onto the 700s. That lasted maybe 10 years then the market sort of turned as it always does and suddenly the NT was as popular as last week's Sunday paper.
Well my intent was to link the BRC and the individual's comfort level for starting out with a mid-size bike (or having the confidence to buy grow into an even larger bike), rather than linking the BRC and the NT700 per se.

Following that, time doesn't stop and age catches up and riders either downsize, or get out of riding. That is where I think Honda missed an opportunity. For example, look at the trike market; it was for a time and may still be the fastest growing market segment.

I recall years ago reading many times on the old GWRRA message board where guys would attend the BRC, and then buy a Gold Wing as their first bike. One in particular I recall saying "the first time I ever rode on the highways, was when I rode my GL1500 home from the dealership." From 1982 until 1995 I was "bike-less" by choice as I was doing graduate school and other stuff that just demanded all my attention. Then when I reentered riding in 1995, everywhere I looked it seemed I saw a Gold Wing and a couple going somewhere either alone or in a group. Eventually I became one of those owners.

The sport-touring segment of the larger market is there, and as the baby boomers downsize from larger bikes like the Honda GL series, or similar size bikes in other marques, a bike like the NT could be an attractive option. If Honda doesn't see that segment as worthy of attention, BMW or Yamaha or another manufacturer will. In fact, they have.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sales of motorcycles in the US is well past its peak. Other than Harley Davidson motorcycle manufactures are seeing their growth in other countries which is dictating the size and types of motorcycles they manufacture and many of those are never imported to the US.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, the high point for US motorcycle sales was in the mid-70s!

I think most new buyers should opt for a 400-500 cc naked bike just to get experience. Later they may decide to add a windshield and soft bags or a top box.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
So the NT was a nearly perfect motorcycle, but not perfect. (Only the Germans can make a perfect motorcycle - just ask them). But I still think the motorcycle industry could do much better. I guess practically doesn’t count or we’d all be riding Pacific Costs.

The improvements I’d like to see are:
1. Ergonomics - particularly adjustable bar positions, seat height and fore-aft adjustment, foot peg adjustments, and more and better windscreen adjustments.
2. Wind and heat adjustments. Better management of wind blast. Blow heat to the rider in cold weather and away from the rider in hot weather.
3. Standardize auxiliary power connections for devices and auxiliary add-ons. Lights have improved a lot but I’d like to see better lighting for visibility by others, signaling. and safety too.

But if the industry did all that and put it in a motorcycle that weighed 200# and cost
$10,000 who would ever buy another new one after the first one. Mine is a lousy business plan. The motorcycles wanted by Americans is simply not what most of the rest of the world wants.

I’d probably still have my NT if it had 10 more hp, one more gear, and weighed 100# less. Uh …..no I wouldn’t - I still wanted heated grips and cruise control.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I've seen this happen as well. There seems to be two extremes: the guy who buys a 250cc Rebel so he can flat-foot at stops and "not get into trouble" with the power, vs the guy who buys the Monster (or some other facsimile thereof) as you described and parks it for different reasons.

When my son in law was getting into motorcycling two years ago we attended the MSF BRC together at one of the local Harley shops. They used the 500cc Harley for the school, so he was comfortable looking minimally at that displacement. He later bought in the 650cc class and has ridden weekly, sometimes commuted daily, ever since.

The NT I am finding is an excellent mid-sized tourer and commuter. The sport-tourers have long been my favorites, so had I known about the NT when I shed my last beemer and bought the Wing in 2016, I might well have skipped the Gold Wing. The upshot is that I can see someone doing the BRC and then being comfortable with an NT700 as an entry ride into the hobby. It's too bad that Honda doesn't see the potential in the market.
Honda does make mistakes....for sure.....but they do have the US market figured out.
1. They sell next to no bikes here. Motorcycling is dead compared to 1960s-90s
2. I dont know if DirtFlyer has the production sales figures for the US but discounting pirates, all I see are adv touring bikes on the road, a few sport bikes, and little else. What was the average age at this spearfish rally? 70? We are dying dinasaurs.
3. In other countries, they buy bikes cause they make sense for transportation. They make no sense in the US if you look at all the costs of riding and the new dangers.
4. Other countries think motorcycles are fun, like us dinasaurs. Kids in the US dont even want to DRIVE.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
At the rally, someone had a very nice sport touring bike.

No cruise control???? No heated grips????? Frankly, if Suzuki had done this sport touring treatment to one of their 750s, WITH cruise control....I would go see them. Now the V strom is a parallel twin? and no cruise? and you have to buy the 1000 cc version at 550 lbs to get cruise? for $18,000?
Glad I got the bikes that I have.
It is clear that Suzuki has no interest in a mid sized sport touring bike or adv bike with heated grips and cruise....or a shaft for that matter.
I will enjoy my VFR this coming week in WY. They made that bike from 1998 to 2015. There are reasons for that. Just like Kaw make the Concours from 1986 to 2006. The bike didnt change...Americans did...and the NT lasted 2 years....
The new super tenere from Yamaha with a shaft would be a great touring bike except its too heavy and too tall (33 inch seat.....really?)

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The last corporate report I saw was around 20 years ago and at that time, the US sold less than 2% of all Honda motorcycle worldwide. The biggest markets are India, Southeast Asia, and Brasil where the average bike size seems to be around 150 cc. There isn't much profit in a 150 but if you sell 1-million of them per year, such as happens in India consistently, it comes to a large pile of Japanese Yen. In India, there are 4-5 brands that sell close to 1-million units per year with Honda being one of them!

CC- the bike pictured is a GSX which is Suzuki's sport bike prefix.

There really is little incentive for a manufacturer to make a 750 when for just a tiny bit more in material costs for aluminum & steel, they could make a 1000 and charge a lot more! There are some Euro-name bikes with Chinese-made engines in the 500-750 category because I think their technology might be maxed at that level...at least for now.

The glory days for the US market was in the mid-70s when motorcycle sales reached its peak. I don't think any year has ever equaled those numbers but perhaps I'm wrong? It's also related to the demographic which is why sales are relatively low here where countries with many more young people are doing much better.

Last edited:

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
When I was in high school (1970-73) the "motorcycle section" of the student parking lot would see 40 to 50 bikes on any given day. It was common in our smallish town (40 to 45k people at the time) to see all kinds of motorcycles all over town. After high school I rode some while in the service. That continued after I got out until I moved to NOLA in 1982. Not long after arriving there I sold my Honda 250 and didn't own another bike until 1995. During that period the plenteous number of smaller motorcycles to which I was accustomed seeing on the roadways went away, but I didn't notice until I reentered riding in 1995. By then the big dressers and cruisers had taken over.

Now in retirement, I live near a major university and I am beginning to see students commuting again on dual sports and other smaller bikes. The impact of the semester schedules is real, so the number of vehicles of all types on the roadways has a seasonal feel about it, but the trend is there. I suspect it is based on fuel prices and parking congestion issues.

And yes, as Americans we are spoiled in countless ways. I have often wondered that if our commute routes were required by law to include bike lanes and pedestrian paths, how would that impact the obesity rate in various regions of the country? As it stands with the level of distraction now happening due to cell phones and other technology - and with a view to the declining moral and ethical core that is necessary to a safe and civil society, I don't know that I would walk or ride a bicycle anyway were I still working.

The discussion has wandered far from the OP's original question of "to NT or not to NT?" With all things considered, I'd say "buy one" and just plan to enjoy it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Honda does make mistakes....for sure.....but they do have the US market figured out.
1. They sell next to no bikes here. Motorcycling is dead compared to 1960s-90s
2. I dont know if DirtFlyer has the production sales figures for the US but discounting pirates, all I see are adv touring bikes on the road, a few sport bikes, and little else. What was the average age at this spearfish rally? 70? We are dying dinasaurs.
3. In other countries, they buy bikes cause they make sense for transportation. They make no sense in the US if you look at all the costs of riding and the new dangers.
4. Other countries think motorcycles are fun, like us dinasaurs. Kids in the US dont even want to DRIVE.
Chris, 95% of what I see on the roads are Harley Davidsons and their metric equivalents.

I just bought a 2010 nt700v abs yesterday and so fare like it very much .I am 67 and tall and somewhat overweight that being said I am not as nimble as when younger .I have beer riding since about 10 years old and this is the first adventure bike for me. I last owned a Honda vtx and others similar to it and seem like they were none responsive in the handling department . Maybe I am not so bad after all because this bike has really surprised me .I can really maneuver it a lot like the old days when I rode dirt bikes and the old 1970 and 1980 type street bikes. I almost feel like I can get around on it like I did when young .It handles great. PS>I just found this forum today and seems like I will be able to find all the info I need right here

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, 95% of what I see on the roads are Harley Davidsons and their metric equivalents.
Correct, depending on if the sun is shining and if it is warm....if it is and its a weekend, for sure. During the week, not so nice weather, out here its ADV bikes. I dont consider Pirates motorcyclists, personally. Its some sort of cult or religion.
Dirtflyer is right about marketing...why make an NT with real lids when you can put on bread box sized ones and sell the real ones aftermarket? Especially when the competition is now gone.
How many bikes like this are out there? How many do they sell? They wisely put on cruise control and raised handlebars and a bigger windscreen and bags. But where is the center stand, luggage rack, and heated grips? $14,100 plus $500 pirate fees isnt too out of line...I just dont need 1,000 ccs and the weight. But where is the competition? Gone with the VFR....
1689569741152.png

Top Bottom