Thinking of Buying an NT

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So the NT was a nearly perfect motorcycle, but not perfect. (Only the Germans can make a perfect motorcycle - just ask them). But I still think the motorcycle industry could do much better. I guess practically doesn’t count or we’d all be riding Pacific Costs.

The improvements I’d like to see are:
1. Ergonomics - particularly adjustable bar positions, seat height and fore-aft adjustment, foot peg adjustments, and more and better windscreen adjustments.
2. Wind and heat adjustments. Better management of wind blast. Blow heat to the rider in cold weather and away from the rider in hot weather.
3. Standardize auxiliary power connections for devices and auxiliary add-ons. Lights have improved a lot but I’d like to see better lighting for visibility by others, signaling. and safety too.

But if the industry did all that and put it in a motorcycle that weighed 200# and cost
$10,000 who would ever buy another new one after the first one. Mine is a lousy business plan. The motorcycles wanted by Americans is simply not what most of the rest of the world wants.

I’d probably still have my NT if it had 10 more hp, one more gear, and weighed 100# less. Uh …..no I wouldn’t - I still wanted heated grips and cruise control.
Americans dont want bikes......My 1960s YM1 305 Yamaha had adjustible foot pegs.....good luck finding them now. Actually, I am mildly surprised that the FJR is still being made. and at a reasonable cost. And I bet there are left over ones like mine was. It has an electric wind screen, heated grips, real luggage with real latches, real cruise control and a real center stand. And its real heavy. But for cost per lb per feature, it cant be beat once you get it over 5 mph. The Germans build bikes that need computers to reset this and that and you need special tools to get the brake fluid cap off and did I mention the fuel gage only works for the last half of the tank and its buzzy?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Some years ago, a friend had a problem with the taillight on his Beemer GS not working so he took it into the dealer. He was told they needed to reprogram the computer and it did work before he left but several weeks later, it stopped working again. He took it back and they did the same thing. This time when it stopped working, he rigged up dry cell batteries to illuminate the taillight!

Real fine German engineering. :confused:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Correct, depending on if the sun is shining and if it is warm....if it is and its a weekend, for sure. During the week, not so nice weather, out here its ADV bikes. I dont consider Pirates motorcyclists, personally. Its some sort of cult or religion.
Dirtflyer is right about marketing...why make an NT with real lids when you can put on bread box sized ones and sell the real ones aftermarket? Especially when the competition is now gone.
How many bikes like this are out there? How many do they sell? They wisely put on cruise control and raised handlebars and a bigger windscreen and bags. But where is the center stand, luggage rack, and heated grips? $14,100 plus $500 pirate fees isnt too out of line...I just dont need 1,000 ccs and the weight. But where is the competition? Gone with the VFR....
1689569741152.png
Here is the competition. A pretty well kept secrete by Kawasaki, here in the US. Luggage Rack, Center Stand, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Electronic Suspension, and a bunch of other expensive stuff to justify the High price. But a a great smooth mile cruncher for old guys. Versy 1000 LT SE.

SAM_6875.JPG

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here is the competition. A pretty well kept secrete by Kawasaki, here in the US. Luggage Rack, Center Stand, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Electronic Suspension, and a bunch of other expensive stuff to justify the High price. But a a great smooth mile cruncher for old guys. Versy 1000 LT SE.

SAM_6875.JPG
Other than being ugly and over 600 lbs as it sits, its fine. Then there is no shaft and a 33 in seat height. FJR is a better deal.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This is what happens to us dinasaurs. Note advanced enclosed chain and factory center stand and luggage rack.
1689614384365.png

1966. 1700 dealers
1689614680038.png

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This is back when the industry cared about you.
The industry sold more motorcycles in America in 1982 than ever before—740,000,
(The article made one mistake. The bike used shim over bucket. Using a cheep tool, it was child's play to replace them. I only needed to do one. Put on a smaller Vetter fairing and the bike was fine.) I still had it when I moved out to Spokane in 1989 along with my naked Wing with a jammer on it.
Seat height was 30.7 inches and the bike would clean an NT's clock power wise.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hello forum members. I'm an avid motorcyclist and have restored many old Hondas over the years. I currently have three bikes - a 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing, a 1983 CB1100F resto-mod, and a 1986 VFR750F. The Gold Wing is my "vacation bike" that I keep at our summer cottage. I've been thinking about upgrading to a much newer bike with fuel injection, better suspension, and one that's comfortable to take my wife on for nice rides. I just came across a 2011 ABS model with under 10K miles on it and in very nice shape. It's local to me, so I hope to see it in person next week. I would like your opinions on if this is a good two-up bike (wife is tiny and under 110lbs) and if there are typical issues with these that I should know about up front. I maintain all my bikes and would do the same with this one.

How is the bike in twisties and does it seem to have plenty of power? Since it's considered a sport touring bike, does it feel like one and is it fun in the twisties?

Have at it and tell me what I need to know before I consider the purchase.

Thanks and Happy Memorial Weekend to everyone.

Tom
In all seriousness (rare from me) Anyone reading this thread needs to look at this bike and ride it. I put on a bit bigger windscreen with a quality adjustable lip and a soft luggage rack and handle bar risers. And a throttle lock. And sliders. And yes, the pannier lid latches work. If in 5 minutes you dont love this bike, buy an NT and you will be happy. If I wreck mine on this trip tomorrow, I am buying this one. I would throw the rear seat cover in garbage can.
1689619201016.png

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The NT was and still is a great "practical bike;" unfortunately practical doesn't sell and even in 2010 sales were dismal to say the least. All of the magazine scribes wanted a sport tourer with 100+ HP that could do the quarter mile in 11.0 secs and the NT didn't fit that bill. ;)
Please dont get me started on magazine scribes. They live in LaLa land. They ride free loaner bikes, get any options they want for free....and if their Motoguzzi or BMW breaks, someone comes and picks them up, unlike Frosty who called his tow company and they never came. They never pay for a shim change. Most are a bit older than fetuses, with some glaringly good exceptions. I am so old I remember magazines with good articles and not just advertising worked into the text....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...I recall years ago reading many times on the old GWRRA message board where guys would attend the BRC, and then buy a Gold Wing as their first bike...Basketcase"

One of the critical elements in the GWRRA new rider comments is that many riders in that situation were well over 50 yrs of age. They wanted to
be included in the social functions of GWRRA but couldn't do it without riding an 800+ pound motorcycle as their first bike! :-(

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have had my NT for about 2 years now and it is the best overall bike that I have owned and I started in 1974 on a Hodaka Dirt Sguirt and have owned bikes ever since . I have been a sportbike guy for most of my adult life and I still enjoy my '05 CBR1000RR Repsol but the NT is perfect for my wife and I to take a weekend trip can't do that on the Fireblade . It is very comfortable and handles great. Other then having to replace the Crank Position Sensor { which was not a bad job did not even have to loosen exhaust } it has been very reliable hope to keep it for a very long time jt

Top Bottom