This Is My Story and I’m Sticking To It…..

OP
OP
wphillips007
By day 4 I did the San Antonio River Walk boat ride and then the famous Twisted Sisters curvy motorcycle roads in the hill country of Texas - 150 miles of fun and smiles -

1698090160852.jpeg
1698090194551.jpeg

OP
OP
wphillips007
1698090581605.jpeg

Bummer😫 Now I’m not legal! There had been an earlier accident and they were diverting all traffic to the off ramp but I was momentarily distracted by the flashing lights up ahead and in combination with a little too much speed I went off the off ramp. The little 3’ drop did me in. The motorcycle is mostly fine and I’m mostly fine except when the bike hit the gravel, the front wheel dug in and over I went with a resulting broken shoulder blade. Which means 3 weeks in a sling - no surgery - so my grand 7K adventure ended in the middle of nowhere Texas - the nearest X-ray machine was 85 miles away!!! My brother came and got me and the cycle. Such is life…… and God is still good! I’ve got one more week in the sling and then on to exercises. My son said it might have been a Jonah moment! I basically have no pain but learning to do everything with my left hand is a bit challenging 😜

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Oh man! Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to a long ride report...

But, you walked away.. sorta... which is always a good thing.. live to ride another day!

Hope you heal fast and get back in shape soon.

OP
OP
wphillips007
Thanks Mellow and great question on my airbag. I was never ejected off the cycle but in the last nano second the tether separated from my vest…..but it never inflated!!! Who knows if it would have saved my shoulder or not. The problem was that in 3 years of using it I had never inspected the cartridge mechanism. Quite frankly I didn’t know that I needed to. The plunger did hit the seal but with out enough force to pierce it. I sent it to the US distributor and they were very helpful in evaluating what went wrong. Bottom line the cartridge needs to be screwed in fully (10 turns) but if is in only 2 turns or less the seal won’t be pierced. Which left me trusting in my vest which was not working…..😣

The accident happened at Ozono TX but the closest hospital was in San Angelo - 85 miles north. However, everybody was extremely friendly and helpful during the whole ordeal. Nothing but good vibes for my Texas friends-

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks Mellow and great question on my airbag. I was never ejected off the cycle but in the last nano second the tether separated from my vest…..but it never inflated!!! Who knows if it would have saved my shoulder or not. The problem was that in 3 years of using it I had never inspected the cartridge mechanism. Quite frankly I didn’t know that I needed to. The plunger did hit the seal but with out enough force to pierce it. I sent it to the US distributor and they were very helpful in evaluating what went wrong. Bottom line the cartridge needs to be screwed in fully (10 turns) but if is in only 2 turns or less the seal won’t be pierced. Which left me trusting in my vest which was not working…..😣

The accident happened at Ozono TX but the closest hospital was in San Angelo - 85 miles north. However, everybody was extremely friendly and helpful during the whole ordeal. Nothing but good vibes for my Texas friends-
Things are pretty sparse in that part of TX.. so lots of folks lean on each other for complete strangers... I find that everywhere. Good info on the vest.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Wendell glad to hear you and the bike are basically OK.

As we get older I think it is wise to try and find a “buddy” that can travel with us on journeys like this.

This way we have someone to share the experience and make memories with and if either of us needs help the other one is there.

It was good that your watch/phone was able to help you this time.

Just something to consider for future trips.

Seagrass

OP
OP
wphillips007
Interesting enough, the California Hwy Patrol did a study on why so many of their officers were being hit while standing beside their patrol cars even with all their lights on - they found out that motorists could see them but became fixated on the lights………

OP
OP
wphillips007
Wendell glad to hear you and the bike are basically OK.

As we get older I think it is wise to try and find a “buddy” that can travel with us on journeys like this.

This way we have someone to share the experience and make memories with and if either of us needs help the other one is there.

It was good that your watch/phone was able to help you this time.

Just something to consider for future trips.

Seagrass
Seagrass, you are absolutely right but it's always a challenge to match up schedules etc. I've done group rides in the past and they were always a lot of fun but they were just one day rides.

OP
OP
wphillips007
Of course one changes as they get older and I found that the longer I was on this trip, the less I was enjoying it. Let me explain - the previous owner had changed out the chain spocket for a high speed one. This CB500X lost some low speed grunt but could it fly. Out in west Texas I could do 80+ mph with no strain or vibration for hour after hour. My bike was set up for this long distance trip -my Corbin seat was very comfortable and I had no wind buffeting on my helmet, etc. However, the wind noise was beginning to get to me. I had 3 different ear plugs but none of them were all that effective in eliminating that pesky wind noise. It was beginning to irritate me. I don['t remember it ever being an issue before. I loved my helmet but I know that some are quieter than others. But them again I'm older and maybe more easily bothered.........and cranky..............

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad you are OK. You will heal up and enjoy life.
Next time keep the rubber on the road.

Arknt

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting enough, the California Hwy Patrol did a study on why so many of their officers were being hit while standing beside their patrol cars even with all their lights on - they found out that motorists could see them but became fixated on the lights………
Glad you are OK. Stay on back roads....lots safer....I hope you heal fast...but at our age, one has to change the way they ride and drive....I hope you try another trip when you heal....this one was pretty ambicious.....try taking back roads somewhere....ride slower....as far as distractions by the side of the road....Target fixation. We were taught about it at the state patrol acadamy. Lots of dive bombers flew into the ground. Most of my dept (WSP) serious injuries are troopers standing by the side of the road....not gun fights. You have seen it 100 times on the news....people hitting cars and people by the side of the road.....I see life differently in many ways....when I see flashing lights, I dont fixate on them...I go to red alert and situational awareness. You never know what others will do....will they pull over? Creep by? Stop? If the lights are moving to you or away from you, that brings up a whole new situational awareness situation....and we have a certain group of people in my county I will not name who have no reguard for traffic laws...one tail gated me today and then passed me fast on a double yellow line....I was ready and pulled over and just let them by.....

Not speaking of your case but today 160 vehicles piled up in Louisiana...7 dead...sudden smoke/fog wall killed them all, or so the news said. I have been riding and driving since 1964. Yes, I have seen fog walls and lots of smoke.....and blinding rain.....I have NEVER seen a situation where I couldnt have avoided a 160 vehicle pileup on dry non icy roads......its all about never stop riding the bike, speed and following distance for conditions, situational awareness.

OP
OP
wphillips007
Coyote Chris, You hit the nail on the head on several points. I feel that I only just glanced at the lights, but it was enough to get me off course. When I looked at where I was going I was shocked by o see I was headed right off the ramp on the left. I sharply leaned over and got it back on the ramp but in doing so I over corrected and went off the ramp on the right.

You are also correct about taking the back roads. I had considered taking US 90 across and that’s what I should have done. Slower but probably more enjoyable (and safer).

Top Bottom