This Is My Story and I’m Sticking To It…..

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Coyote Chris, You hit the nail on the head on several points. I feel that I only just glanced at the lights, but it was enough to get me off course. When I looked at where I was going I was shocked by o see I was headed right off the ramp on the left. I sharply leaned over and got it back on the ramp but in doing so I over corrected and went off the ramp on the right.

You are also correct about taking the back roads. I had considered taking US 90 across and that’s what I should have done. Slower but probably more enjoyable (and safer).
I've done US 90 quite a few times, never seen many vehicles there between Del Rio and Marathon.. gotta plan your gas stops accordingly so fill up in Del Rio and you should be good.

Don't second guess yourself, sometimes things just happen... Every single one of us makes a mistake, if not many, on every single ride we go on... most of the time, that is so inconsequential it doesn't even register in our memory... but the other ones sure do. One that gets me more times than I like is coming up on a car that doesn't have brake lights on and it's turning but also doesn't have any signals on... and I'm just looking around and not focusing in front of me as I should... I'm trying to get better at those but it happens rare enough I don't get the practice so I get surprised... I have learned to try and scan better and not only notice things that are moving but things that are not moving... anyway, enough about my issues lol

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have noticed that as I have gotten older whether I'm riding or driving if I glance to the left or right to admire scenery or something I have a decided tendency to drift in that direction. Consequently, I now avoid any sort of rubber necking while piloting a vehicle. If something appears that interesting, I pull off the road to admire it.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wendell, I'm glad you're not more seriously injured than you are. Heal fast.

I keep saying I'm going to get back on my bike, but haven't so far. I was getting close but then fell last night and bunged up my shoulder. I had turned off the lights and then tripped on a rug. I've got to quit walking in the dark.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
...Or maybe stop shuffling along and pick up your feet? I only say that because from time-to-time I also catch the edge of throw rugs in the front room. :)

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have noticed that as I have gotten older whether I'm riding or driving if I glance to the left or right to admire scenery or something I have a decided tendency to drift in that direction. Consequently, I now avoid any sort of rubber necking while piloting a vehicle. If something appears that interesting, I pull off the road to admire it.

Mike
Remember from your motorcycle training "you go where you look".

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I've done US 90 quite a few times, never seen many vehicles there between Del Rio and Marathon.. gotta plan your gas stops accordingly so fill up in Del Rio and you should be good.

Don't second guess yourself, sometimes things just happen... Every single one of us makes a mistake, if not many, on every single ride we go on... most of the time, that is so inconsequential it doesn't even register in our memory... but the other ones sure do. One that gets me more times than I like is coming up on a car that doesn't have brake lights on and it's turning but also doesn't have any signals on... and I'm just looking around and not focusing in front of me as I should... I'm trying to get better at those but it happens rare enough I don't get the practice so I get surprised... I have learned to try and scan better and not only notice things that are moving but things that are not moving... anyway, enough about my issues lol
Mellow is way correct. We each make mistakes and probably on most rides...thankfully. most mistakes we get away with as there is no one around or we are in a safe place....or we are just plain lucky. Then we move up to the close call, which may or may not be our fault.....I have no idea how I have ridden 58 years accident free (almost). Once in the 1970s I was rounding a gentle corner at slow speeds and a truck or ? had just laid down a 6 inch wide strip of something slippery and I low sided...not much harm done. Picked up my Yamaha 305 and ride on. But I have never hit a car or been hit when I was on a bike. Riding slow on river bed gravel parking lots scares the crap out of me...did it for 25 yards this summer in a small town in California, but at least if I had fallen I dont think much damage would have been done. I am not a good rider. I am a very lucky rider....and what happened to you could have happened to me. Or any of us. One of the main things I have learned in 58 years is that if you stay far enough away from cars, it becomes very very hard for them to hit you. Not always an easy thing to do, of course....but I find touring on two lane roads of the west that are pretty empty much more enjoyable than interstates full of crazy careless drivers. Just dont pet the fuzzy cows and you will be fine.
cody.jpg
Fuzzy cow or fuzzy elk. Let the people get ahead of you and they cant hit you.
IMG_20230724_103326513_HDR.jpg
Do not pet.
a buff 3.JPG

Stop and smell the roses and read the signs.chief Jo.jpg

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hey Wendell, I'll bet they have you trussed up in a shoulder pull back apparatus. It should give you a great posture alignment. Or perhaps things have changed/improved since I broke my collar bone way back in the day. I'm glad you were not hurt more seriously!! Give it time to heal and you should be good as new.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
As I age I find that it Eli’s way easier to lose track of how fast I’m going. Things come at me quicker than expected. I’m shopping for a slower and lighter motorcycle but not finding what I want. In fact my current motorcycle is pretty close to ideal. But in order to lose 100# I’d also lose 50hp.

So I’ll just have to concentrate on riding slower and safer. These sensible ideas are just not fun.

Another option adding more distance between you and hazards, perhaps. Change a different variable in the formula.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hell, you made it this far! Why worry about getting sensible now?
;)
Mike
Cause a good friend of mine has a great and wise saying - “You can get away with a lot of stupid sh- uh stuff if you think it through first”. And I think I should ride slower.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Wendell, glad to see you have retained your sense of humor... that's a big part of get back to riding again. Heal, fix your scoot and begin two-wheeled therapy.

Mike

Top Bottom