Throttle Grip Adj and Risers

I tried to adjust the position of the throttle grip. I think if I roll it forward a bit it will relieve some of the wrist pain I get. I loosened up the two screws underneath and tried to turn it but no go. I have a cramp buster which helps , I guess if it doesn't roll at all then I can try to just roll the handlebars forward. I have no problems with my other bikes. I also have thought what if I put some risers on, would that help at all. Thanks for any input. Be safe in these crazy times.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For safety reasons, all Honda bikes have a round, plastic lug molded into the plastic throttle housing and also the switch housing on the left side. That lug fits into a hole in the handlebar and keeps that piece in place even if the screws come loose.

For the life of me, I can't imagine how turning the throttle housing to a slightly different position on the bar will help your wrist pain? The throttle will still be the same distance from your right shoulder and require the exact same amount of force to open it.

Many NT riders have fitted their bikes with various height risers to help alleviate the strain on wrists/hands. Look in the stuff-for-sale section of the forum to see if someone has risers for sale. :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Risers might help. I have risers that I got from the now-deceased Motorcycle Larry that bring my bars up about an 1 1/2" and back about an inch. Plus I rotated my bars down in the risers a bit. A throttle lock might also help you. When I first got my bike, I had some shoulder pain that these changes alleviated. Being able to take one hand off the bars made a huge difference to me. I still have my Throttlemeister throttle lock, but apparently they've gone out of business. I also have a Rostra electronic cruise control (that's not working now, but I'll either fix it or replace it with another one that a friend gave me). The electronic cruise and the Russell Day Long saddle I've got are my two most important improvements.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I installed a set of bar risers that raised the bars 3/4" and also moved them back (towards me) 3/4". That and the cramp buster on the throttle made all the difference for me.

OP
OP
When you installed the 3/4 risers did you have to change any of the cables?
As for rolling the throttle forward picture giving the bike a lot of throttle, the position of the wrist with a lot of throttle puts pressure on the wrist. I did a 175 mile ride right after I bought it and it was brutal. It was all highway up and down hills.
Thanks, any more input is helpful

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, when I installed the risers, I may have had to move the clutch cable but I didn't need to change it. I just saw a throttle lock that looks like it would be very good. Check it on www.atlasthrottlelock.com.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
or start with a more forward grip to allow more straighter angle of wrist. or start as normal grip, then sneek up with fingers to get wrist more straight

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
when I installed the 3/4" up and 3/4" back risers I did not have to change any cables. I did have to loosen the throttle cables and the clutch as a tighter bend in it than I would like, but it has not turned out to be a problem

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I just ordered a McCruise control unit, I'm sure this will take care of any of my discomfort that is left, I did about everything else there is to do with the bars, I went from just 20 mins of comfort up to a hour of comfort the electronic cruise should take care of the rest.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Daryl, if I didn't have a brand-new-in-the-box Rostra cruise control (that I'll never be able to install if my buddy Mike won't/can't help me!), I'd order an McCruise unit and try to talk another buddy into installing that. I hear nothing but good things about them!

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Daryl, if I didn't have a brand-new-in-the-box Rostra cruise control (that I'll never be able to install if my buddy Mike won't/can't help me!), I'd order an McCruise unit and try to talk another buddy into installing that. I hear nothing but good things about them!
Phil if it's all what they say it will be worth every penny. Also they say its not to hard to install, I will see and don't expect it to be any problem for me, and I'll be sure to let you know how everything goes with it.

Can someone post a link to quality 3/4 or 1.5" risers? Also, I'm looking for a ball mount that replaces one of the handlebar bolts, no idea what it's called or who makes it. Any suggestions?

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Can someone post a link to quality 3/4 or 1.5" risers? Also, I'm looking for a ball mount that replaces one of the handlebar bolts, no idea what it's called or who makes it. Any suggestions?
Is this what you are looking for? They come in either 17MM or 1" diameter ball.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I think most of the risers are +1" or +2". I've never heard of a 3/4" or 1-1/2" risers.

OP
OP
SW MOTECH is what I had in the garage. They came with a vstrom 650 I purchased and did'n put them on. Easy to install but if someone holds the bars while you unscrew and tighten the bolts it sure makes life easier. They made my ride so much nicer. The big decision do I keep the bike or sell, It only has 3400 miles and I put about 1000 since November I believe.

Top Bottom