Throttle Grip Adj and Risers

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Perhaps not common knowledge but there is a particular way to tighten the handlebar clamp bolts. The front bolts have to be tightened until the clamp is metal-to-metal which typically leaves a gap in the back. Now, the rear bolts are tightened and there is still a gap but that's OK.

If the clamps are tightened with equal gap at front-and-back or even worse, if they're done with no gap at the back, are more likely to come loose and move downward With no gap at the front, when the bar tries to move downward it pulls the clamp tighter because of the direction of force so they stay tight. The recommended torque is usually 16-ft-lbs and it doesn't seem like much but it works if you use this sequence of tightening. I'd take an education guess that all force applied on the bars while normally riding is downward...unless you happen to be doing a giant "stoppie" from speed!

There is a separate Honda motorcycle set-up manual (they are loose-leaf pages) for each model and every one I've ever seen in 20+ years give this sequence for handlebar clamp tightening. Handlebars other than those with a one-piece handlebar secured by 2 clamps/w 4 bolts, may require something different.

ps. this is not a procedure unique to Honda motorcycles and mostly likely, all the other brands recommend the same thing.

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Can someone post a link to quality 3/4 or 1.5" risers? Also, I'm looking for a ball mount that replaces one of the handlebar bolts, no idea what it's called or who makes it. Any suggestions?
I have a surplus Motorcycle Larry handlebar riser kit. This set may be from Coyote Chris when he traded his NT. The label says:
6079 HONDA NT 650/700 BLOCKS

They look like 1" up. I think that these were discontinued years ago. I will send them to you if you send Mellow a site donation (I see you are a supporter already). If you want them, PM your address and contact Mellow after you receive them.

1588786356245.png

I have a surplus Motorcycle Larry handlebar riser kit. This set may be from Coyote Chris when he traded his NT. The label says:
6079 HONDA NT 650/700 BLOCKS

They look like 1" up. I think that these were discontinued years ago. I will send them to you if you send Mellow a site donation (I see you are a supporter already). If you want them, PM your address and contact Mellow after you receive them.

1588786356245.png
How can I ever pass up a donation? Consider it done. When I get home later today, I'll donate and PM you the details. 🙂

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The MCL risers only move the bars up, not back. As I recall, I removed the old bolts and slipped the risers under the handle bars. Then I reassembled with the longer bolts. I did buy a longer clutch cable (from Trans Alp I think). The topic is on the site. I finally found a Helibar kit the included longer clutch, throttle cables and a brake line extender.

I received and installed Frosty's set, thank you very much! Noticed no difference is comfort since then, about 200 miles. NT700 already has a great rider triangle, and has been super comfortable from day one. Not sure what I was looking for. 🤷‍♂️

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I remember after adding the MCL risers that I was able to rotate the bars down to a more comfortable angle and straighten out my wrists. Before that my hands used to go numb after a half hour or so.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Patrick, I did the same with my bars after adding MCL risers. I also found that having first a throttle lock and then a cruise control, that not having to have both hands on the bars all the time when I was on the highway also made a difference to my shoulders. Before that, my left shoulder would start to hurt after an hour or so. Oddly enough, now I never have shoulder issues.

Bike
2009 ex Mod white nt700va
The throttle cables STILL pinch, and I'll probably have to replace them. Was it worth it? The riding position, with the bars up and back, is infinitely more to my liking. But you put a hundred here, a hundred there...and pretty soon you're talking real money.
Greetings from the UK
Throttle cables from the ST1300 are longer and fit.
Transalp clutch is about 1" longer BUT if you can get a cable from an older Africa Twin it's about 4" longer and fits and works perfectly.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Greetings from the UK
Throttle cables from the ST1300 are longer and fit.
Transalp clutch is about 1" longer BUT if you can get a cable from an older Africa Twin it's about 4" longer and fits and works perfectly.
Thank you for the tip on throttle cables.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Smason4058, Welcome to the NT-Owners Forum! I'm surprised you had to replace your clutch cable. I'm running a stock clutch cable with my bar risers I got from Motorcycle Larry, back in the day when Motorcycle Larry was alive and providing some good accessories for our bike. I did have one stock clutch cable fail because the ferrule on the control end split and let the cable take a sharp bend. I ordered both a stock NT cable and a Trans-Alp cable (the Trans-Alp was a predecessor to the NT back in the late 90s that was, IIRC, 2" longer than the NT cable. But the NT cable arrived in Montrose, where I was visiting my son and daughter-in-law, and the Trans-Alp cable didn't, so I've still got the NT cable. The stock cable did require me to remove one cable tie near the steering head. It's amazing to me how moving the handlebar up and back just a tad improves the comfort on the NT.

How long have you had your NT, where did you get it, and all the other introductory questions I could think of....

I notice you live down in Aurora. One of our Forum members (who no longer has an NT) is there. That's Chuck Henderson, known on the Forum as Chucksklrst. I'm up in Greeley. My 2010 Superior Silver ABS NT has 136K and is running like new.

I hope to run into you (not physically) sometime in the future!

Thank you for the welcome!

I am new to the NT, just picked it up a couple of months ago from Aurora Honda. It's a burgundy, non-ABS with about 12,500 miles on it. Just getting back into the 2 wheeled world after a 12 year hiatus. My last ride was a 2003 Concours.

I haven't ridden it a lot yet, I do Field Service work and travel a lot. Having come from the Concours world, I have been kind of fitting the NT to me, I do hope to get out onto it soon.

The handlebars would not go back up into position with the risers without disconnecting the clutch cable, so I ordered the Transalp cable that I read about here. So once I get an operable clutch, and finish a job in Texas, it is going back to Aurora Honda for some new shoes (Metzeler Roadtecs), I hope to be out on it around the 4th of July Holiday.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Aurora Honda is a good dealer. Chuck Henderson has bought and sold with them. I wish they were closer to me.

I had two '99 Connies before I bought my NT. I bought the first one brand-new and rode it for 115K miles before I totaled it one night up on the Peak-to-Peak Highway. I bought another one just like it (including most of the same farkles I had) and rode it for 50K. In the fall of '09, when I heard that Honda was going to import the NT, I was interested since I'd seen and sat on one in Germany in '08. I had also had five knee replacements at that point and the Connie was getting to the point where it was too heavy for me. I bought my NT at Sun Honda and for the first 30 miles or so on my way back home (which then was in Ft Morgan), I wasn't sure I hadn't made a mistake. But by the time I got there, I had decided that it was going to be OK. And it has been!

I assume when you say you do Field Service work that you might be in the oil field. I'm a retired United Methodist minister, but from '75-'80, I worked in the oil field with the now-defunct company of Smith International Inc's Drilco division. I had started with them as a drill collar inspector and ended up in Casper managing the tubular products for the region from Farmington to Williston.

When I made the decision to get back on two wheels, I felt that I was old enough now that I was over the liter+ bikes as well, but I wanted a sport tourer, so the NT sitting in Aurora Honda's showroom intrigued me. I first saw it there in November and it was still there in March, so I ended up taking it for a ride and I bought it. I have never been a fan of V-twins (my preference has always been the inline 4's, but it feels like a good platform, I think I'll get used to the engine.

I work for a pump manufacturer, so some work is oil and gas related, but we also serve power, chemical, water/wastewater and general industrial customers as well.

The Transalp cable came in and I got the bike back together last night and everything fits great. I'll try to get it out for a test ride this weekend, also just installed a Kaoka throttle lock for it (that was the original project that lead to the handlebar risers).

I'm wondering if I may have bought Chuck's old bike, Aurora Honda told me that they bought the bike off of a customer that wasn't going to be riding it anymore, it was not part of a trade/sale.

Take care and stay safe!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Your NT isn't Chuck's old one. His was silver. I hope you enjoy it. I think you will. One adjustment you may have to make to your thinking is about the engine.

My only experience with a V-twin had been the bike I learned to ride on, an '86 Honda Shadow 600 and my own first bike, an '83 GL650i Silver Wing. Then I had owned the two '99 Concours before buying the NT. I expected an engine with low-rpm torque. Well, that's not the NT! I learned that it is an engine that's happy spinning up in the top of its rpm range. I never try to accelerate in 4th or 5th unless the revs are above 3-4K, unless it's very gently. Below 2K rpm it doesn't have much oomph at all. 85mph = 6000rpm. It'll run at that speed all day with no strain -- unless you think it's going to explode! IMO, the guys who think it needs a 6th gear just haven't learned to appreciate the power band that the engine's got.

Thanks for the insight. Like I said, I haven't had the chance to ride it a lot and I know I have to learn the bike/engine. I don't dislike the engine, V-twins have just never been my thing and this is the first one that I have owned. Overall, I like the bike, or I wouldn't have bought it. The only solution to that is miles and seat time!!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to road race. So spinning up an engine is not a foreign concept to me. I'm sure we'll be good!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think you will like "this" v-twin. To me it has a sportier persona that the v-twins you are probably thinking of.

Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I think you will like "this" v-twin. To me it has a sportier persona that the v-twins you are probably thinking of.

Mike
Hey Mike, I totally agree with you. I have had several versions of this engine from 600 to 800 cc's. The 700 has a very different power delivery that keeps pulling as it revs to redline. You pay a small price in low down lugging ability, but it is worth it imho. I don't think it is only the result of the extra valve, the valve timing is much different. It may also have a lighter flywheel. I really enjoy this engine.

Top Bottom