Tire pressure gauge

prof98801

Can someone give me a name of a tire pressure gauge that is consistent and would be easy to measure air pressure on the NT. I wish the tire stem was easier to get to and easier to read. I would really prefer one that has a hose that would attach to the tire stem. If you have an internet site that one could be ordered, I would appreciate it.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have tried "stick" gauges but usually lose a lot of air getting them onto the stems. Now I use an old portable air pump we have has for years. It has a quick connect fitting to attache to the tire stem and a digital gauge. Also, you set the desired pressure and run it till it stops. I saw a small portable pump at Auto Zone with most of these features for around $25 - $30.

elizilla

I have several stick gauges but it sure is a pain getting to the NT's rear tire with a stick. So I bought a "Slime" brand gauge with a hose, for $12.99 at Autozone. The hose has two fittings at different angles, so you can pick the best one for your tire. I tried it for the first time this afternoon and it seems OK, though I'm not crazy about the idea of a gauge that has a full page of fine print instructions. :) It's digital and most of this verbiage seems to be for setting the gauge up to know what pressure you want and beep at you. I'll never do that - I have too many different tires with different pressures needed. But it also has a recalibrating function, which is cool, hopefull that means it can be made accurate and kept accurate. And it seems to work well enough for just plain checking the tires and telling me what's in 'em.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Can someone give me a name of a tire pressure gauge that is consistent and would be easy to measure air pressure on the NT. I wish the tire stem was easier to get to and easier to read. I would really prefer one that has a hose that would attach to the tire stem. If you have an internet site that one could be ordered, I would appreciate it.
I've got the same Slime gauge from AutoZone that Katherine has. It's OK. I also put a 90-degree metal stem on my rear tire when I replaced it and will do that when I replace the front tire. That makes it a lot easier to check tire pressures. Bikes with disk brakes are hard to check with most of the pressure gauges I've ever had. And they're hard to air-up at almost any gas station air pump.

MAC

I also use the Roadgear Hi-Tec Digital gage.

It's easy to fit it to all the valve stems on my bikes. I like it because it starts at 5 #'s, the rear tire on my trials bike is set at 5.5 #'s and the front tire is at 7 #'s, so it works for me all around.

CoolNT

I have several stick gauges but it sure is a pain getting to the NT's rear tire with a stick. So I bought a "Slime" brand gauge with a hose, for $12.99 at Autozone. The hose has two fittinghttp://www.slime.com/product/361/Digital-Gauge-with-Extended-Hose-(%2320071).htmls at different angles, so you can pick the best one for your tire. I tried it for the first time this afternoon and it seems OK, though I'm not crazy about the idea of a gauge that has a full page of fine print instructions. :) It's digital and most of this verbiage seems to be for setting the gauge up to know what pressure you want and beep at you. I'll never do that - I have too many different tires with different pressures needed. But it also has a recalibrating function, which is cool, hopefull that means it can be made accurate and kept accurate. And it seems to work well enough for just plain checking the tires and telling me what's in 'em.
+3 on the Slime. I have a really nice RS digital that I bought years back which I compared to the Slime and they're spot on. I just throw the stick one's away (not literally). Got it at Walmart for $10.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Igo

Check stick gauges against master gauges. Their accuracy levels can vary wildly, even between upper and lower scale reaches.

Oldbuckeyes

I just had tires replaced yesterday and was asking the service and parts guy about an easy to use and accurate tire gauge. They sold me the ideal thing (at least for me!). They are tire pressure indicator valve caps marketed by BIKEMASTER. One is for the front tire with pressure @ 36# & the rear @ 42#. They are cheap-- about ten bucks and dirt simple. They are green when tire pressure is right, then turn yellow if you need air, and turn red if you really need air! They look to be a good quality product chrome and everything! I also had them put in the DYNABEADS tire balancing beads. I can't believe what a difference that made, no front end wiggle now!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
In case they don't mention it in the literature, do NOT use a stem mounted TPMS with rubber stems. Replace with all metal stems.

I also plan on a TPMS in the near future. Use it on trailer and bikes.

Deleted member 540

I have the "AccuGauge" and have checked it against others. It seems to be the best one I could find. Has a hose and release valve if the tire is over filled. I carry a stick for emergencies to get it close.

I'm with 'oldbuckeyes' above. I don't have valve stems specific to motorcycles. I went to Auto Zone and bought valve stems that check out at 36 tire pressure. I simply have to look at the tires to see that both are above 36 pounds and I'm good to go. Do you all keep the rear tire at 42 pounds?

Terry

Bike
Silver NT700V
I keep the tires at the book pressures, 36 and 42. For gauge I am using the digital gauge in my no-name air pump I use for the car. I have verified this gauge against others several times over the last ten years or so. It is accurate. I also use the gauge on my Slime pump in the tire kit I assembled. It is accurate too, per the other gauge. With stick gauges, i have too much trouble getting them on and off quickly to get a clean read so I quit using them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm using Slime's tire pressure gauge. It's accurate according to my other supposedly accurate tire gauge and with the hose and the air-release valve, it's easier to use than the Roadgear gauge.

I've changed both front and rear stems to metal 45-degree stems. That angle makes a huge difference in being able to get the chuck from the pump on and off without losing too much air as well as facilitating pressure checks.

Motopilot

I use the slime gauge and it works great. Found it at Pep Boys, I believe.
One problem I had recently was when I tried to add air at a gas station air pump, the fitting on their air hose was a huge, 5" straight thing that wouldn't fit.
Now I need to find a small, 90 degree adapter to keep with me. (edit: looks like this might work. valve stem extender)
I've heard on other forums (Burgman USA forum) that people have had trouble with 90degree valve stems cracking and breaking off because of the extra weight and offset balance of them as they spin around the tire. (they "wiggle")

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have several stick gauges but it sure is a pain getting to the NT's rear tire with a stick. So I bought a "Slime" brand gauge with a hose, for $12.99 at Autozone. The hose has two fittings at different angles, so you can pick the best one for your tire. I tried it for the first time this afternoon and it seems OK, though I'm not crazy about the idea of a gauge that has a full page of fine print instructions. :) It's digital and most of this verbiage seems to be for setting the gauge up to know what pressure you want and beep at you. I'll never do that - I have too many different tires with different pressures needed. But it also has a recalibrating function, which is cool, hopefull that means it can be made accurate and kept accurate. And it seems to work well enough for just plain checking the tires and telling me what's in 'em.
I was walking around Walmart over the weekend and saw the Slime guage on clearance for $7.98 so I picked it up. I am always looking for a better mousetrap. As Katherine stated it has an instruction book that needs to be read so its still sitting on my coffee table waiting my attention. I guess I am more of an analog person because all of the electronic devices with there mega instruction books test my patience. It does appears to be a good guage however and I like the pressure release button. None of my other guages have this feature and it appears that it will come in handy since It tend to over inflate and then release pressure down to the correct number.

Top Bottom