Tire wear mystery

pictures man!... we need pictures!... LOL

I think if the seam 'opened up' I'd toss the tire... I've never seen that. I've seen cracks and slices and other small issues related to just riding over stuff and old tires.

What's the date code on your tires? maybe they're just too old. Did you buy them both at the same place?

pictures man!... we need pictures!... LOL

I think if the seam 'opened up' I'd toss the tire... I've never seen that. I've seen cracks and slices and other small issues related to just riding over stuff and old tires.

What's the date code on your tires? maybe they're just too old. Did you buy them both at the same place?

I haven't learned how to get a pic on here yet
I don't know the date codes, but I can say both tires came from MC Superstore... maybe they are pawning old tires off on folks?
I will take a good pic of the Bridgestone and try to get it on here

I haven't learned how to get a pic on here yet
I don't know the date codes, but I can say both tires came from MC Superstore... maybe they are pawning old tires off on folks?
I will take a good pic of the Bridgestone and try to get it on here

I would imagine they are pretty high-volume for tires and both of the ones you mentioned are pretty popular so I don't think that's the case but the date code will at least let you eliminate an old tire. If that's the case maybe they'll work with you on a replacement assuming it's an actual defect.

When you reply, click the picture icon and it will let you upload a pic from your pc. You may need to resize it as most cameras these days take huge pictures.

Off the tire thread, but on the inserting picture's thread:

I can't put pix in my posts now. I go to the link, browse my files, choose a picture, and then when I click "upload," nothing happens.

Something's changed with this computer. I used to be able to left-click on a link to get it to open. And I left-clicked "upload" to get that to happen.

Now I have to right-click and then left-click on "open link" in the pop-up menu. I've tried right-clicking "upload" but then I don't get anything that makes that upload happen.

Any ideas?

I'll call you when I've got time to play "computer slave," Rick.

I got some good pics of my tire but I cant get them into the forum
It worked on my work PC but not at home

The 1st pic is more representative of what the naked eye sees. The 2nd and 3rd are closeups that look like the seam belongs.
Problem is, you can fit a fingernail in that seam, which makes it seem wrong

The 1st pic is more representative of what the naked eye sees. The 2nd and 3rd are closeups that look like the seam belongs.
Problem is, you can fit a fingernail in that seam, which makes it seem wrong

If those were my tires I would just GO RIDE.

That doesn't appear to be a mold line to me. If it was, I wouldn't expect it to be present after a few hundred miles let alone 7k miles. And I wouldn't expect two tires from two different manufacturers to exhibit the same kind of wear line. How does something so shallow continue to exist as the tire wears?

Have you tried sending those pics to the tire manufacturer? I've done this in the past and have received responses. Take the below pictures for example.

Here is a picture of a rear Avon Cobra I had. The line you see is the molding seam of the tire. It wasn't there when brand new but showed up after nearly 12k miles.

20091115_AvonCobramark_0002.jpg

20091115_AvonCobramark_0006.jpg

Here is a picture of a seam that opened up on a front Avon tire (notice a theme here?). Again confirmed by Avon. No bruising existed on the inside of the tire so it wasn't due to an impact. This tire had around 10k miles on it.

20110422_Separation_0001.jpg

20110422_Separation_0006.jpg

Here you can see how the seam has depth and I can open the "flap".

20110423_Separation_0025.jpg

Looking at the tire pics above, my guess would be a Railroad Track. I say this because it looks like a knife cut into the tire, the outer side of a RR track can get very sharp after years of use. Many times there are holes just before the track and you drop in.

Looking at the tire pics above, my guess would be a Railroad Track. I say this because it looks like a knife cut into the tire, the outer side of a RR track can get very sharp after years of use. Many times there are holes just before the track and you drop in.

Avon (the manufacturer of those tires) said those lines were signs of the seam coming apart. They weren't cuts from road debris.

Clay, do you downshift when slowing? (or, are those the beginnings of heat-tears from riding very fast??)

I do downshift, but not for slowing purposes...only to avoid lugging the engine as I lose speed.
What part are you asking about being tears?
The shaved pieces Rick mentioned are wear indicators and are fully attached to the tire
As stated before, I ride the same speed as the traffic around me
Once in a great while, if I am alone and see a long deserted straight I will run her up to The Ton for a few moments, but I do not ride aggressively

Red, I could see the shaved rubber near the grooves. Its like a feathered edge that hasn't wore off right at groove. I had some on mine when I rode an aggressive speed on Tail of Dragon, got back to eat and noticed them. Could have been combo warm temps, aggressive cornering, and possible just below proper air temps.
Also good to see you one of he lucky ones in Dallas ha have power!!

Back
Top Bottom