Took the V-Strom plunge!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I decided to join Yoda and become a VStrom owner. I've always admired the bikes and was tempted many times to take a closer look at them. A nice one popped up on Craig's List last weekend. A 2013 DL650 Adventure ABS with 6K miles. The Adventure series came with the Suzuki aluminum panniers and the owner added a Bestem top case. He installed the Admore lighting in the top case. The top case looks almost identical to the top case on the NT except it is black and not quite as hefty as the Honda case. He lowered the bike about 2" with the lowering links and dropping the forks in the triple tree. I have the OE links should I ever decide to restore it to OE specs. It has a skid plate, bark busters, GIVI adjustable windshield, handle bar riser w/setback, Ram ball cupfolder, upgraded mirrors, Oxford heated grips, LED fog lamps and new Heidenau Scout 60 tires. Amazingly, he never took the bike off road. He added the off road stuff because he said that the bike looked like it should have them. He, like me is in his 70's and has, unlike me, seven other bikes in his fleet and he said that he never really rode the VStrom that much so it was time to find it a new home. I'm now beginning the process of farkling it to my taste. I ordered a Fuzebox to straighten up the wiring. As he added electrical farkles he just stacked terminal upon terminal to the battery and added longer screws. Needless to say, the underseat wiring is a veritable rats nest. The new bike will not replace the NT, but augment it. The addition of the Wee however is causing me to build a separate bike garage as the old garage just cannot handle my fleet.

Mike

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Congrats Mike ... you are closer to the goal of N+1 bikes :)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I bought my 2013 adventure about three and a half years ago with 4800 miles on it. Just wondering what your went for now. But no pics did not happen.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I decided to join Yoda and become a VStrom owner. I've always admired the bikes and was tempted many times to take a closer look at them. A nice one popped up on Craig's List last weekend. A 2013 DL650 Adventure ABS with 6K miles. The Adventure series came with the Suzuki aluminum panniers and the owner added a Bestem top case. He installed the Admore lighting in the top case. The top case looks almost identical to the top case on the NT except it is black and not quite as hefty as the Honda case. He lowered the bike about 2" with the lowering links and dropping the forks in the triple tree. I have the OE links should I ever decide to restore it to OE specs. It has a skid plate, bark busters, GIVI adjustable windshield, handle bar riser w/setback, Ram ball cupfolder, upgraded mirrors, Oxford heated grips, LED fog lamps and new Heidenau Scout 60 tires. Amazingly, he never took the bike off road. He added the off road stuff because he said that the bike looked like it should have them. He, like me is in his 70's and has, unlike me, seven other bikes in his fleet and he said that he never really rode the VStrom that much so it was time to find it a new home. I'm now beginning the process of farkling it to my taste. I ordered a Fuzebox to straighten up the wiring. As he added electrical farkles he just stacked terminal upon terminal to the battery and added longer screws. Needless to say, the underseat wiring is a veritable rats nest. The new bike will not replace the NT, but augment it. The addition of the Wee however is causing me to build a separate bike garage as the old garage just cannot handle my fleet.

Mike
Buying a new motorcycle just to get a new garage!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that???:doh1:
Brilliant Mike!!!

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
another NT absconder, well 1/2 the way! soon the NT will go by the wayside after Vstrom shows off its ability!!! then you will have a empty place in the garage addition for junglejim's southern storage facility. then he will have NO more "i'm snowed in, come help me, i can't ride anywhere"

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
another NT absconder, well 1/2 the way! soon the NT will go by the wayside after Vstrom shows off its ability!!! then you will have a empty place in the garage addition for junglejim's southern storage facility. then he will have NO more "i'm snowed in, come help me, i can't ride anywhere"
David, don't give JJ any ideas.... another bad winter like last year and he might <gasp!> want to move in!!
:eek:
Mike

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Congrats Mike! Yours was certainly not ridden much in 10 years - only 6k miles! Mine is two years old, and over 10k miles.
Your ‘rats nest’ wiring makes me hesitant to look under the seat!
By the way, you know that we will have to meet up in Spearfish next year.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
David, don't give JJ any ideas.... another bad winter like last year and he might <gasp!> want to move in!!
:eek:
Mike
What a good idea. In fact I might come to MO for an NRL 22 X-match being held this Saturday. And I got a lot of "stuff" I'd like to store.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Congrats Mike! Yours was certainly not ridden much in 10 years - only 6k miles! Mine is two years old, and over 10k miles.
Your ‘rats nest’ wiring makes me hesitant to look under the seat!
By the way, you know that we will have to meet up in Spearfish next year.
I installed the Fuzeblock today and started on straightening out the wiring. I installed the GPS and replaced all the bulbs with LED's. That will free up some wattage for heated gear. The only niggle I've got with the bike is the Heidenau Scout 60 tires. They create a lot of vibration and road noise at highway speeds. It is a more off road tire than I would have installed. I can't wait to wear 'em out and put some Dunlops on it.

Mike

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I picked up a 2013 DL650 with ABS around 12 months ago. Mine is the Tiger Eye bronze colour with the Givi screen and a top box and it has travelled around 14,000 miles. I am really enjoying riding it as it is a very capable motorcycle.

I installed a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 on the rear earlier this year which replaced a very noisy Metzler tyre.

Enjoy the ride.

Seagrass

IMG_4332.jpeg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Mike - I'm sure you'll enjoy your Wee-Strom. It has approx the same HP as the NT but in a package that is nearly 100 lbs lighter.

Regarding additional wires to the battery posts, I always limit them to no more than 2 per side and usually 1 per side. I've found that stacking too many extra terminals under the battery bolt just increases the likelihood of the bolt coming loose at some point. And whatever is direct wired to the battery is ON all the time so much better to wire to a key ON relay! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have read nothing but good things about these Dunlops.
Tempting, but I am going to stick with the Roadsmart IV's. I might change my mind by the time the Heidenaus wear out.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike - I'm sure you'll enjoy your Wee-Strom. It has approx the same HP as the NT but in a package that is nearly 100 lbs lighter.

Regarding additional wires to the battery posts, I always limit them to no more than 2 per side and usually 1 per side. I've found that stacking too many extra terminals under the battery bolt just increases the likelihood of the bolt coming loose at some point. And whatever is direct wired to the battery is ON all the time so much better to wire to a key ON relay! :)
Yup, me too! I counted seven under the positive terminal, The Fuzebox allows one to select whether the circuit is constant on or switched as there is a 30A relay mounted on the circuit board. The Fusebox is the best fuse block on the market although it is a tad pricey. I have had one on Traveller for many years with no issues. I also put thumbscrews on the lid to replace the Phillips head screws. This allows me no tool access should a fuse blow. Finally, I used the Littelfuse glow in the dark fuses that light up when the circuit is open. A nice thing to have if a fuse blows at night.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Anakee 3s did quite well on the 2013 I had... the light weight was great and had over 10k miles on the rear when I sold it.

Top Bottom