Took the V-Strom plunge!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Finally, some pix. First the view from the cockpit, left side view, frontal view and rear view showing the aggressive Heidenau street knobby. Now, I'm trying to come up with a name.... I'm leaning toward "Reckless" after the US most famous war horse. You all will note that the pix are in my garage where you will find the appropriate amount of clutter...... like God intended!
:thumb:
Mike

In hindsight, I should have taken the pix without as much background clutter...... HUSH!! Chuck
:D
20230726_153018.jpg20230726_152844.jpg20230726_152748.jpg20230726_153018.jpg20230726_152844.jpg
The same right down to the Spot mounting. What is that TV screen on the right hand side of the bars? Even got the tool tube in the same place. I keep my chain wax in that tool tube. Would be interesting to hear how many coins you gave up for the bike..

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The same right down to the Spot mounting. What is that TV screen on the right hand side of the bars? Even got the tool tube in the same place. I keep my chain wax in that tool tube. Would be interesting to hear how many coins you gave up for the bike..
The Spot mounting was my choice as the PO didn't have the Spot. The TV screen looks huge in the pic, but thats my camera distorting the size. It's actually a Garman Zumo XT2... somewhat larger than the Zumo 595 on Traveller but not nearly as huge as it appears in the pic. I do miss the tire pressure monitoring system that the 595 has and I have not yet figured out which way to go with a TPM system for the Strom. The tool tube is an interesting addition. He has it zip tied to the pannier stay. It is on my to-do list to secure it properly. He took excellent care of the bike but was not mechanically inclined at all so I am spending a lot of time getting everything squared away. I paid $6250 for it which was a tad high but I had to consider all of the farkles that I would have done were there, the low miles and the new tires. I am pleased with it and have had fun playing with it so far. I am meeting my son in Ohio this weekend and he and I are going to take the bike on his maiden voyage.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks Mellow, I have this system on my Yamaha XS650. I like it, except it doesn't allow separate pressure settings for front and rear. In reading the info, it appears that they made a software change on this new system that allows that. This is likely the way I will go.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Spot mounting was my choice as the PO didn't have the Spot. The TV screen looks huge in the pic, but thats my camera distorting the size. It's actually a Garman Zumo XT2... somewhat larger than the Zumo 595 on Traveller but not nearly as huge as it appears in the pic. I do miss the tire pressure monitoring system that the 595 has and I have not yet figured out which way to go with a TPM system for the Strom. The tool tube is an interesting addition. He has it zip tied to the pannier stay. It is on my to-do list to secure it properly. He took excellent care of the bike but was not mechanically inclined at all so I am spending a lot of time getting everything squared away. I paid $6250 for it which was a tad high but I had to consider all of the farkles that I would have done were there, the low miles and the new tires. I am pleased with it and have had fun playing with it so far. I am meeting my son in Ohio this weekend and he and I are going to take the bike on his maiden voyage.
Thanks. I have my tool tube zip tied also. Same location. No issues with the 6 zip ties that I use in over three years. Based on what I am seeing I guess I stole my bike from the PO. Three and a half years ago I bought mine with 4800 miles for $4800. It was mostly the Stock adventure model at the time. I replaced some of the stock items, Windshield, crash bars, Skid plate, with after market. Of course I replaced the gray plastic with the red plastic. (A bit of a story on why) Added a few other things. So all in, I am in at around $5900 into my Wee, not counting the price of the new red panels. I also replaced the seat with a pre owned Sargent seat. The bike is a keeper and if it ever breaks beyond repair I will find another and but it back the same way. I have often said that if I had to get rid of all my bikes except one, which one would I keep? It would be the Wee, as it does 95 % of what all the others together do.SAM_7689.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My owner's manual for the Wee is on back order so I have been figuring stuff out as I go. The bike came with a Haynes manual but I would like to get the factory version. Does the Wee require premium sauce or will regular sauce work?

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My owner's manual for the Wee is on back order so I have been figuring stuff out as I go. The bike came with a Haynes manual but I would like to get the factory version. Does the Wee require premium sauce or will regular sauce work?

Mike
Regular gas works just fine. Also might want to try and find a factory service manual 2012 to 2016 years will work. Those years are all the same.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks Chuck! We are embarking on it's maiden voyage tomorrow. Meeting Mike Jr. in Cleveland and are taking two weeks to explore Canada.... if there's any Canada left that isn't burned!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Mike - I hope the temps are tolerable for you. Whatever you do, be safe and stay well hydrated!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike - I hope the temps are tolerable for you. Whatever you do, be safe and stay well hydrated!
Tosh, I'm leaving from here at ~0600 tomorrow when the temps should be ~80°. By the time I reach Indy, I should have outrun the heat. Jr sez it should be a high 0f 80 in Hudson on Sunday. We are planning on crossing over at Sault Ste Marie. WX looks good but the wildfires are a bit of uncertainty as we head west.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Where is your turnaround point in Canada?
We don't have one yet, Tosh. I have set aside two weeks for our trip, but we will head home when Jr runs out of vacation. If there is still places I want to go and stuff I want to see, I will stay out longer. Circumstances have prevented a lot of longer trips lately so I am going to make up for lost time as long as my butt holds out. Traveller has a Russell so that was never a problem. Even the NT stock seat was quite good. The seating accomodations on the Wee remain to be seen.
:thumb:
Mike

Top Bottom