Took the V-Strom plunge!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
We don't have one yet, Tosh. I have set aside two weeks for our trip, but we will head home when Jr runs out of vacation. If there is still places I want to go and stuff I want to see, I will stay out longer. Circumstances have prevented a lot of longer trips lately so I am going to make up for lost time as long as my butt holds out. Traveller has a Russell so that was never a problem. Even the NT stock seat was quite good. The seating accomodations on the Wee remain to be seen.
:thumb:
Mike
The seating and rider comfort on the Wee is very comfortable. Now if I could figure out how to set the damned clock!! I have accrued 1100 miles since yesterday and am enjoying the new steed.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
All my bikes are comfortable but the the Wee Strom seems to just fit like a favorite old shoe. The bike also seems to be very balanced and easy to ride.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Will be even more comfortable with some bar backs. Here is what I used. Although I had to route the throttle cables on the outside of the forks and triple clamp

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-2017-2018-2004-2012-2015-2018-Motorcyle/dp/B0CB8Z7Y77/ref=sr_1_41?crid=3GCUCCZWR4FPE&keywords=v-strom+bar+backs&qid=1690806846&sprefix=v-strom+bar+backs,aps,196&sr=8-41SAM_7694.JPGSAM_7696.JPG
It has the bar backs installed from the previous owner. I noticed in parking lot maneuvers where the forks are turned to the stops the engine revs slightly so I will have to see if I can reroute the cables for a tad more clearance.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have just returned from my shakedown cruise on the Wee. I met my son in Cleveland and we rode to Sault Ste Marie where we crossed over to Canada. We got on the Trans Canadian Highway and continued around Lake Superior and continued west until British Columbia. A big, beautiful country with a lot of friendly people. The only disappointment was the wildfire smoke. The beautiful Canadian Rockies appeared to be shrouded in fog but it was smoke. We stopped at Banff and visited the National Park which was beautiful. Banff itself was too crowded so we had lunch and left the city to the tourists. We crossed back over into the US in Washington and continued east through Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas. In South Dakota I did something I swore I would never do..... visit Sturgis during the rally. Our trip happened to coincide with the great pirate conclave in Sturgis so we figured, "what the hell" and we rode thru town on the way home. We stopped and got t-shirts for the grandkids and left forthwith..... too many people. We continued on to Iowa City for our last night together. The next morning Mike headed east to Cleveland and I south to Missouri. Altogether, a little over 5400 miles. The Wee was great except I neglected to put my beaded seat on the bike so after a day or two I developed a severe case of Monkey Butt. I am looking forward to wearing out the Heidenau's and putting on some Roadsmart III's. I did enjoy the extra room that the large panniers provided.

Mike

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Mike- After a much shorter first run, I can attest to the seat inadequacy. I dug up an old AirHawk seat pad I had and strapped it on. Hope it will offer some relief.
The best revelation about the V-Strom is the fuel range. Well over 200 miles, with 250 if you aren’t hot dogging it.
I also replaced the Puig windshield the PO had installed with a Madstad. Almost no buffeting, and better suited for my height.
The mountain twisties are a delight!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike- After a much shorter first run, I can attest to the seat inadequacy. I dug up an old AirHawk seat pad I had and strapped it on. Hope it will offer some relief.
The best revelation about the V-Strom is the fuel range. Well over 200 miles, with 250 if you aren’t hot dogging it.
I also replaced the Puig windshield the PO had installed with a Madstad. Almost no buffeting, and better suited for my height.
The mountain twisties are a delight!
Rich, the Wee seat was comfortable enough but the vinyl doesn't breathe, consequently due to the temps in the mid 90's even with LD wicking shorts I got a bad case of diaper rash. Gold Bond powder and diaper creme was the remedy each night at the motels. Traveller has a leather Russell which breathes better but the beaded seat is what I needed.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The beaded covers can do wonders to eliminating the "hot seat" feel.
I am sold on the airhawk seat with the certain region without support so I dont get an episode of spasiming pubo rectalis. But I gotta say that I have used sheepskin, real or fake, over the whole seat for 30 years and am very happy with it.

Top Bottom