Tracer 900 GT - Initial review

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Been looking at this since it was the FJ-09.. but there were some issues in forums that just kept me away.. the 2019 model seems to addressed a lot of those and added some nice upgrades as well on the GT trim.

Lots of wind noise but the ST1300, V-Strom 650 and even Super Tenere had that before addressing w/different windshields or deflectors. I'm planning on adding the touring shield and if that doesn't fix it I'll add the same spoiler I have on the Super Ten.

Definitely nimble... you can hit a 30mph curve in 6th gear and just roll on, doesn't seem to lug at all.. or drop to 2nd and it just glides through..

Quickshifter - the GT version gets this along with the new display, saddlebags and upgraded suspension components. I've never had a QS before and it was pretty cool to go up the gears without messing with the clutch, it's only for up-shifting.

Gear Indicator - very nice, it tells you the gear all the time.. on the SuperTen it is only if you don't have the clutch lever pulled in which is a slight annoyance.

Been keeping it under 5k rpm for the break in but have bumped up to 9k briefly and the engine will sing a very sweet song.. lol Can't wait 'til after the 1,000 mile break in when I can really wind it up.

The TFT display is VERY nice and has lots of custom settings. It's pretty easy to read although I do wish they'd made it a bit larger. It's basically a copy of the one used on the R1 and maybe some other bikes but with a couple different features suited to the Tracer. The white background for daytime and black for low-light conditions switches pretty fast and is always readable.

IMG_20181029_061248.jpg

IMG_20181029_061446.jpg

The luggage, coming from the perspective of a Super Ten owner with large top loading bags, is tiny.. so, I'll have to rethink my packing routine but there are always trade offs and that's just something you deal with. Some do opt to find the FJR bags w/larger lids or find the lids and install them on these bags. I'm fine with just packing differently. I always bring more than I need anyway so no big deal. I'm planning on adding a top box.

On the highway, it feels very planted and stable but again, I've barely ridden the thing.. hope to get past the break in mileage this week/weekend and get some some real highway time in on it to see how it reacts to things like large trucks.

One thing is certain, in the twisties this will be a fun bike... NOT because it's some fast hooligan bike, it can be with the right rider I'm sure, but because it's light and nimble and that makes it less effort to ride.

It's got 3 ride modes A-STD-B

A: Aggressive throttle response

STD: Medium throttle response

B: Relaxed throttle response

A can be pretty twitchy..

STD is not bad and probably what I would use in the twisties.

B is pretty good and what I'll keep it in most of the time.

TCS (traction control system)

Off - Oh no!... Not me, I don't want to wheelie as I'm old and my bones don't heal like they used to... that's all I have to say about that.

1 - Some intervention is used to keep the wheel spin to safe levels - I'm still not comfortable with this setting.

2 - Maximum intervention to keep wheel spin to zero or close to that - This is what I'll have it on and it may never come off. yeah, my hooligan days are past me.

Headlights

They are LED and the left one is the low/right is high. The one low beam is actually not bad at night. A good spread of light. There are 2 signature/parking light strips.

Yamaha still has incandescent bulbs in the turn signals for this bike which I don't understand BUT.. with how low they are, you almost get that triangle of lights at night that everyone tries to aim for so maybe it's pretty visible.

IMG_20181029_061320.jpg

IMG_20181029_061335.jpg

Overall, a fun light bike... will it replace the Super Tenere for my purposes? Not sure, once I get some more saddle time on it, it just might... I don't go off road on purpose and that was never why I purchased the SuperT, I just wanted a lighter touring bike that had some more options and a good track record of reliability. It has served that purpose well. If I was taking the long haul to California, I may take the SuperT... a short ride to Arkansas, the Tracer... it's great to have options. Time will tell if I stick with one or two.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for the post, Mellow. Even though I won't be buying (anything), I'm still interested in bikes I would have been interested in ten years ago.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Good description of features and a few they missed. I don't have all that "stuff" on my NT replacement. Keep us updated on how it works out under some more challenging riding conditions. Lots of bikes perform well in perfect riding weather and roads, but the nasty stuff reveals some deficiencies sometimes.

I'm jealous in a way, but I still like my bike. Don't know if that is because of complacency or old age (maybe both).

Keep us posted - we're all interested.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Been keeping it under 5k rpm for the break in but have bumped up to 9k briefly and the engine will sing a very sweet song.. lol Can't wait 'til after the 1,000 mile break in when I can really wind it up.
Congrats ... Let us know how miles 1001 - 1100 (and beyond) are!

Notes: Safety equipment- check, environmental conditions good- check, Road Clear- check, ... oh, remember to Hang On. Enjoy

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I waited for and looked hard at the tracer GT. Pluses were the nice weight and cruise control. Minuses were my dislike of unenclosed chains and small bags, plus it is a fairly tall bike, like the Ten. I wonder if the FJR bags would just snap on? Since you are not a major camper, 22L bags might work. If they are gonna take away my steam gages, then that display looks good. Cant wait to see it in bright sun.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I waited for and looked hard at the tracer GT. Pluses were the nice weight and cruise control. Minuses were my dislike of unenclosed chains and small bags, plus it is a fairly tall bike, like the Ten. I wonder if the FJR bags would just snap on? Since you are not a major camper, 22L bags might work. If they are gonna take away my steam gages, then that display looks good. Cant wait to see it in bright sun.
I heard the FJR bags transfer right over but it's not like they are huge either. But big enough for a helmet. I pack pretty light and really don't bring much more on a 2 week trip vs a 4 day trip. Gonna do a 500 mile day Saturday to gauge the overall comfort and get used to the range, shouldn't be much diff than the the Tenere.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I heard the FJR bags transfer right over but it's not like they are huge either. But big enough for a helmet. I pack pretty light and really don't bring much more on a 2 week trip vs a 4 day trip. Gonna do a 500 mile day Saturday to gauge the overall comfort and get used to the range, shouldn't be much diff than the the Tenere.
FJR's are about 30L, although they "feel" a bit smaller than the big lid NTs. The 29L and 26 L Vstrom bags are a wee bit small for me but I make them work. See PM about my site support....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yes the FJR bags will fit the Tracer GT. FJR panniers are 30 ltrs. where as the Tracer panniers are 22 ltrs. That is only one of the reasons I went with the Kaw Versys 1000LT as a future replacement for my FJR. Versys 1KLT panners are 28 ltrs. I felt cramped on the Tracer GT. Cockpit felt cramped for me. Don't have a problem with chain drive. Easy to maintain and inexpensive when it comes time to change sprockets and chain. Yes the Versys 1KLT is tall, but that is not one of my issues.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I looked at the 1k Vstrom and Kawi but they push over 500lbs and getting close to the Tenere in those areas. Was really considering another Vstrom 650, that was one of my favorite bikes.. but, it was because of the light weight and easy handling. The Tracer has all that and power to spare whereas the vstrom would run out of legs on occasion.

I test rode the tiger 800 xct and that actually felt more cramped to me vs the Tracer but had some nice extras like a heated seat and very nice display but I would have had to buy bags for it and around here Triumph dealers start at MSRP and add from there.. lol The great part about having so many options is there are so many options and what works for one person may not work for another. Also test rode the 1200RS, pretty sweet but still pushing over 500lbs.

As for the height, it seems lower than the Tenere to me but could be because it is light and the seat is narrower, actually, that IS it.. lol But, I think the VStrom 650 felt very similar to me.

As far as luggage capacity... I used to ride a wing w/unigo trailer - I'd pack both full... then, ST1300 no trailer - I'd pack it full.. Vstrom or Tenere - I'd pack them full... lol To me, doesn't matter what you ride, you pack it full when you go on a trip.

I typically put heated and rain gear in one back along w/tools and tire plug stuff and whatever else will fit..

the other back has clothes and maybe a tablet and jetboil if I feel like bringing it and some instant coffee/creamer/sweetener. I typically drink a lot of coffee during the day at home but when I tour, I can go cold turkey and it's no big deal - the bike is my caffeine.

The top box has all the misc stuff like cap/flashlights/cellphone charger/camera.. light loose stuff.

The back seat is my camping stuff. Tent/air mattress/sleeping bag.

I figure, since I'm on a bike and I don't do primitive back packing type camping, I can always get dinner or breakfast on the road or make a short trip to get something to bring back to the camp site if I didn't do that just before getting there.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I typically put heated and rain gear in one back along w/tools and tire plug stuff and whatever else will fit..

the other back has clothes and maybe a tablet and jetboil if I feel like bringing it and some instant coffee/creamer/sweetener. I typically drink a lot of coffee during the day at home but when I tour, I can go cold turkey and it's no big deal - the bike is my caffeine.

The top box has all the misc stuff like cap/flashlights/cellphone charger/camera.. light loose stuff.

The back seat is my camping stuff. Tent/air mattress/sleeping bag.

I figure, since I'm on a bike and I don't do primitive back packing type camping, I can always get dinner or breakfast on the road or make a short trip to get something to bring back to the camp site if I didn't do that just before getting there.
Good write-up Joe. Thanks.

We all seem to gravitate to whatever works for us and our travel habits. A lot of folks leave the camping gear at home and stay in motels which frees up a lot or room on a motorcycle. But them there are those who bring the camping gear AND cook all their own meals too. That consumes a lot of space AND time. Those seem to be the two extremes. Some folks ride more and some camp more. - whatever turns your crank.

The bikes are the same way. None of them are perfect especially when you consider all the different riders, roads, and conditions we put them to them. Then all the bikes are different prices which makes even more complicated. What fun we have figuring all that out.

Even at my ripe old age I still learn from others. None of us have all the good ideas that are out there. I usually ride alone, but I enjoy riding with compatible partners. Riding with large groups are frustrating for me. Now I have several months to figure out my next ride and do the planning - and I'll still do a lousy job of it.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I do bring my jetboil and with that you can cook just about anything. I just don't pack a lot of food which is not something you want to do when on the edge of wilderness. That scent stays on the bike. I don't mind getting eggs/meat/etc at the town before my campground or just a pack of wieners, some doritos and diet coke to go with whatever I might add to it.. lol.. or not. I always bring baggies so I can put food in that and then in the jetboil water so I have little to clean up. Tried that witch scrambled eggs a couple years ago and it worked better than making them at home.

Not crazy about hotels.. I can setup my campsite faster than it takes most to check into a hotel... and breakdown/leave faster too.. lol

IMG_20160422_082712.jpg

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I can setup my campsite faster than it takes most to check into a hotel... and breakdown/leave faster too..
That means you owe us a demonstration at Spearfish next summer!!!!!!!

I can break down my campsite quickly, but packing all my junk into the proper bags, packing up the bike, and gearing up to ride takes more time. But at a campground you don't have to carry all the stuff out of a motel and across a parking lot because the bike is right there.

I just don't pack a lot of food which is not something you want to do when on the edge of wilderness. That scent stays on the bike.
Right, I like it when the bears and coons go to other people's campsites.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Hi Mellow! Can you give an update on the Tracer? I have to replace my Triumph and the Tracer GT is at the top of my short list. The Triumph has to go because of the reach to the bars and clutch pull; the docs took an artery out of my left arm to use in my bypass surgery last winter so I don’t get the blood flow to that hand that I used to.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hi Mellow! Can you give an update on the Tracer? I have to replace my Triumph and the Tracer GT is at the top of my short list. The Triumph has to go because of the reach to the bars and clutch pull; the docs took an artery out of my left arm to use in my bypass surgery last winter so I don’t get the blood flow to that hand that I used to.
Still love the bike.. the light clutch pull is VERY nice.. the Super Ten had a very stiff clutch and no adjustment for that I ever found.. The Super Ten is hydraulic vs the Tracer's cable and that might be part of it.

Love how light the bike feels ... it's much more capable and efficient at the higher hwy speeds vs the Vstrom 650 I had. I have no experience w/Triumph Sprint so I can't give you any direct comparisons sorry. I did test ride the Triumph Tiger 800 XRT when I was looking and the Tracer GT was just a better feel for me.. probably because I was on the Super Ten for 5 years.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
You probably want a bike with a slipper clutch. A lot of new bikes have them, including the Tracer. They reduce the clutch pull by at least 30% over a conventional clutch.

Top Bottom