WANT!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
When the GM Motorama came to town, I'd always attend by taking several different buses from where I lived. I was a kid and it was one of the highlights of my year. Yes, some of the concept cars were ugly as a whole but in later years individual, styling cues from those cars would appear on production models, such as the wraparound windshield, giant chrome "bullet" bumpers, tail fins, etc.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Tosh, I too was a gearhead from a young age. I can remember from about 10 years old and on I would make a weekly trek to the drug store newsstand to get the latest issues of Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Cycle World, Cycle.... etc..... etc. If it had an ICE, I was fascinated by it. Then during the winter months going to the car show, boat show etc. was a way to survive a long dreary winter. It was interesting to see the concept cars and how certain styling cues and features made it to production. I spent my young fortune on models by AMT, Revell and Monogram..... those were the days.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I only made it to one car show. It was Dallas in '57. It turned into a great day. We were passed on US-80 by the first Porsche Speedster I'd ever seen. Then at the car show, there was one exhibit that was outside the main hall. It was Carroll Shelby with Maseratis and Oscas. There was nobody else there and he and I talked for nearly half an hour. He was a nice man humoring a 14-yr-old kid.

I'm like you, Mike. I walked downtown from school every day at lunch time and went to the newstand, where I'd read all (and mostly buy) all the car magazines, airplane magazines, and sailboat magazines. I don't remember Car & Driver being available at that time -- seems like it was Sports Car Illustrated.

Does anybody else remember funny articles illustrated with drawings of an exaggerated-looking car that looked something like a pontoon-fendered Ferrari 250TR? The imaginary car was called a "Pignatelli."

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - Yes, there was a magazine that preceded Car & Driver and it was called "Sports Car Graphic." I still have one dog-eared issue of SCG because it had a story about the Gran Sport Corvettes, which were 2000-pound specials that GM concocted to beat the Cobras.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I too remember SCG. So, that was the predecessor to Car and Driver? Then of course, there was Hot Rod magazine. I was also into automotive fiction by William Campbell Gault... does anyone else remember those? Finally, non-automotive related, I was a fan of MAD magazine..... that should explain a lot :rofl1:...

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
When the GM Motorama came to town, I'd always attend by taking several different buses from where I lived. I was a kid and it was one of the highlights of my year. Yes, some of the concept cars were ugly as a whole but in later years individual, styling cues from those cars would appear on production models, such as the wraparound windshield, giant chrome "bullet" bumpers, tail fins, etc.

P51 exhaust stacks on Buicks!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
WANT! Oh wait...people would steal the machine gun clips at the post office.
Screenshot_20230827-193135_copy_1051x1186.png

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thankfully, the Japanese did not continue to copy the Harley-Davidson. I shudder to think where we would be today in the motorcycling world if they had. Hmmmm..... interesting thought experiment though...

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Japanese BMW! 1693976654209.png

I got a shiney new nickel that says the rear brake works better than my Vstrom /VFR

Top Bottom