What octane fuel do you run and why?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I use regular, always. That's 87 octane around here. At higher elevations (CO, UT, etc.) it's often 85 octane. There's no evidence of knocking and regular is what's called for by Honda.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The NT runs fine on Regular 87 octane gas... Using a higher octane does not do anything but cost you more....

Bike
2010 NT700V
87 octane straight gas. No ethanol in ANYTHING I own, even here in the heart of corn country.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Kinda wish I could get away from the corn gas but not sure where to get it here on the Western Slope, if I can get it at all. At some point someonre posted a link to a site that showed all the stations that sold REAL gas here at NT owners.org. I run the cheap gas in my NT with no ill effects, my 125 horse Merc 2 stroke outboard actually runs better on 87 octane than 91, and my GPz turbo needs higher octane as Kawasaki calls for it and when it was built there was no ethanol, so can be problematic without high octane.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
87 Octane with Star-Tron addative. We don't have ethanol free gas here, so we are stuck with ethanol.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
yes, it counters the effects of ethanol. it's a fuel additive. you can get it at home depot, etc.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I got turned on to Star-Tron by an independent MC shop specializing in Sport Bike performace--for example he set my friend's Ninja 250 up for the track and got 32HP out of it. He uses the stuff in all his gas engines. I have ceased having problems with my 2 stroke 3HP outboard for our dinghy since I started using it--ditto, chain saws, weed whacker, lawn mower, and snow thrower. I use the super concentrated variety which uses a capful per fillup for the bike.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Thanks for the info on Star-Tron, I am going to find some for my bikes and other gas drinkers. That might be exactly what my old Turbo needs! I too have a 3 HP outboard for my canoe, a 1964 Evinrude 2 cylinder 2 stroke, still runs and looks great!

jackgermain

I use 91 Octane (super). For whatever reason my bike does not like the 89 Octane or below. Talked to the dealership here and they said run ONLY super in it.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I am a firm believer in fuel brand over octane rating. I run the lowest octane rating suggested for all vehicles. I only use "regular" gas in the NT. I also only use Shell or BP regular in all my gas engines. The additives in these brands do make a difference in fuel economy and performance, in my opinion. I avoid unbranded fuels at all costs. It is a little harder to do on a bike as the mileage varies so much by tank and riding conditions, but I challenge you in a car or truck to: Run one full tank full of unbranded regular gas (no additives, etc) and record your mileage and performance. Then do the same with a tank full of Shell or BP fuel. Even if there is a cost differential per gallon between the unbranded fuel and the branded fuel, I am certain you will find that the cost per mile is less with the better fuel. By the way, I have been in the fuel industry for nearly 20 years and do not work for Shell or BP, nor do I profit in any way from suggesting the use of any brand of fuel. This is just my observation and findings that have proven true for me over the years.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I use 89 octane. The PFI system in the bike does not utilize a knock sensor. Fuel quality can vary so much station to station that the engine may knock a bit, and I know I'd never hear it over the noise of traffic, wind, helmet, etc. A slightly higher octane gives me peace of mind.

And for the record, ethanol in fuel was introduced well before the current administration took office. Let's try to keep one's political views in check, or kindly take them to the off-topic forum. Thank you.
Gasahol, as it is called in Iowa, was sold here in the early 80's. LONG before the current administration.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
Gasahol, as it is called in Iowa, was sold here in the early 80's. LONG before the current administration.
1978 was the start in the modern era, probably as a response to the first oil embargo. I remember Jay Leno's garage having an alcohol-fueled car made sometime before 1910. I'l bet that cereal grains were used in the early distilling process. The tax support for ethanol fuels was just diminshed, (25 or 30 cents) but I don't know of the mandate has changed.

Dave

Bike
Silver NT700V
I run regular branded pump gas with no additives so far. I do stick to brands I trust, Shell, Chevron/Exxon, Valero are the main ones. I have used Murphy in a pinch. I won't go to a totally unbranded station (knock wood). The manual says any octane over 85 or 86 as I recall. I have consistently read that putting higher octanes in an engine which does not require it does nothing but cost more money. There is no benefit to the engine. If the engine won't run right on regular, I would be looking to find out why. Bad gas, try other suppliers. Altitude? tuning (mapping issue)?

Top Bottom