What octane fuel do you run and why?

zaxs

I always run 92 or 93 octane. Page 42 of owners manual calls for 91 or higher.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Page 101 of my owners manual (2010 non ABS NT700) calls for 86 octane or higher.

My ST1300 manual calls for premium fuel, but at the altitudes that I ride (6000 ft or higher) Reg. Gas is just fine. Also get better milage from Reg Gas at those altitudes. Now to find gas with out the alcohol content in Colorado, not going to happen.

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Page 42 in my owners manual addresses load limits, nothing about fuel. Page 101 Fuel calls for unleaded with pump octane 86 or higher and page 225 addresses Oxygenated fuels. Here in Massachusetts MTBE is outlawed due to water pollution concerns and Ethanol 10% is mandatory for all stations. When the bike is getting regular use it gets regular from the pump and is happy with it. When it is going to spend time in the garage I use a fuel stabilizer product.

Gasoline is a blend of hydrocarbons that changes by location and season. The trucks that deliver to various stations are all filled from the same tanks at the distributor. Gasoline is a fungible product. The difference is the additive package in various brands. All motor fuel sold has to have minimum detergents and such to qualify as motor fuel. individual maintenance at the station for filters tank care and such make more difference than brand. Lots of money spent on catchy jingles you need to pay for in some brands...

Premium fuel or Hi test in a motor not optimized for it is a waste of your hard earned cash.

zaxs

You are correct sir. I was looking at the downloaded NT owners manual from here and it is different than the one I just dug out from under the seat. I have been averaging 52 MPG when I fill up and check mileage to tank. I just went over 3000 miles on the bike so I wonder how it will change when I switch to lower octane. Probably the wrong time to check since the temps are getting cooler and I think they switch to winter gas soon.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Higher octane gas has lower energy content. All it does is prevent knock. Higher altitude also reduces energy output because it lowers the amount of air getting into the fuel/air mix. Because it lowers the energy output, it also reduces knock. That's why gas sold at higher altitudes can be a lower octane fuel.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Ping is the sound of your piston cocking in the bore of the cylinder when one side of the combustion chamber lights off early. The real problem in my view is that it (Oxygenated fuel) does not give us cleaner air when we are driving modern vehicles with catalytic converters but it does reduce mileage and power.
Classic "but we always do it this way" thing.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Now to find gas with out the alcohol content in Colorado, not going to happen.
23 stations listed in Colorado as having pure gas. Not many for the entire state, and with the exception of Durango, I don't recognize any of the names of towns where it's located.

Here in Okieland pure gas is everywhere. About 6 cents per gallon higher than ethanol.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My dealer told me if I ran premium in my NT that it would carbon up the combustion chamber.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Read this. Read ever page. This was checked out by car and driver magazine long ago. It is all true.
http://www.toptiergas.com/
Here is the car and driver article about what cheep gas does to your car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/larry-webster-your-car-is-a-temple-so-put-in-the-good-stuff-column
Also, in addition to pure gas, Check out this website
http://www.buyrealgas.com/
+1 on putting in ethanol specific additives....
I burn premium simply due to the fact that one Conoco station here sells ethanol free gas and it is premium.
You wanna get really informed about ethanol, read up on what your own government says about E15. And what it does
to weed wackers, lawn mowers, pre-2001 cars, and motorcycles. There is little difference between E10 and E15.
If you are forced into using E10, use the special stabilizers, and keep gas flowing through the bike or car so that you can avoid phase separation.
In spokane, at some stores, you can buy premixed two stroke fuel for your weed wacker and chain saw that is Ethanol free.

Top Bottom