What rain suite do you use?

Frog Toggs. I can roll them tight enough to put in the doughnut hole between the panniers. I have a vey nice Olympia All Season Jacket that is pretty rainproof. I carry the Frog Toggs as back up. On the whole I don't want to be out there if it is raining that hard.

Terry

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
I liked my first set of Frogg Toggs and after several years they started to leak in the crotch. Replaced them with the Road Toadz and a set of Horny Toadz. I've had no real issues with them not working and I like how small they pack. Someone mentioned an issue with water getting into gauntlet gloves. I put mine on before I put on the raingear, so I don't have any issues. Also, while I have waterproof socks, I've found it better to prevent the water from getting there and have a pair of boot covers that have elastic along the bottom that permit the rubber of the boot to be out, but prevents all the water from coming in. I just don't use the highway pegs when it's raining hard.

Bike
Bonneville T120
My Frogg Toggs also leaked in the crotch, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Seriously, I don't see why they leaked in the crotch and nowhere else.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
In prolonged rain the water pools on the seat between the legs. Over time it gets past the seams and you get wet. It is truly the test of any rain suit.

My most recent riding has all been out here in NM. Am lucky if I get to ride in the rain :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Add me to the Tourmaster 2 piece Sentinel (i think). I have used it in some pretty wet and cold weather. I used it as the outermost layer on cold mornings on my trip last may. I don't have any major complaints. It game with a little compression bag that would just barely hold both. It was so small that the zipper broke the third or fourth time I tried to stuff em back in. No worries with the NT though. The rain suit are permanent residents in the left pannier. On my old bike I would only take them if I thought I needed them. Even without the compression bag, they don't take up much room.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
First, I miss Igo. He turned me on to REI which was a major find for our motorcycle camping this summer and next. Second, I have the Tourmaster two piece that has worked well. Bought a Tourmaster one piece on sale but haven't used it much. I just the Tourmaster jacket as a cold weather wind breaker. My chaps keep my legs warm.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I use the Horny Toadz suit made by frog toggs. It's around $100 but seems to be pretty durable and kept me dry on a 5 hour ride last month in the rain.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I haven't bothered to get a rain suit. Spent two hours riding in some pretty heavy rain, and the only thing that got soggy were my gloves. I have a Cordura Honda Jacket and a Tourmaster Raven Jacket. Both are waterproof. My ICON Arc pants are waterproof as well--except for the crotch area. I sprayed them with Kiwi "Camp Dry" and hope that solves the problem. My Joe Rocket Meteor Boots kept me dry and warm.

I could never get used to rain gear. Even though we lived on a sailboat for 14 years, I never wore foul weather gear. I end up wet from sweating. The stuff I have seems to work well.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have some gear that a outdoor woek gear store tuned me onto, it is lined / venelated set that breath and don't sweat. The manufacture name is Walls. They wear a lable tyhat says made in Viet Nam. I wasn't sure about them until I did a four corners tour with them in 0-5. After crossing MT in snow sleet and freezing rain and then from Florida to Texas in a constant rain and stayed dry and wartm under them witrh First Gear and Gerbing uder them I knew they were keepers, The roll up pretty snug and ride with me reguardless of which bike I ride. The jacket has a good hood as well. I bought them in a 3 xl size so they could fit over al of my regular riding gear I don't re,ember wht I paid for them , seems like it was over $100.00 but they have proven to be well worht the price. for boots I have SIDI On Roads that are about 6 years old, still shed water very welll & I only use a leather treatment on them in the fall going into the wet season. I am going to have to get some new soles on them one day soon as they are getting into the thin layer with out much grip left on them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I wear an Aerostitch and I don't need no steeenkin' rain suit. The most common complaint about 'Stitchs in the rain is a wet crotch, but I've never gotten wet wearing mine. Except for that one time when I rode about 50 miles in a torrential downpour and a 40-50mph 90-degree crosswind with the side and back vents open. Even then I didn't get very wet until I stopped and my cotton t-shirt and cotton shorts wicked the moisture all the way around my body.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
That's only one of the problems I had with the Frogg Toggs; that texture stuck to stuff other than bugs and on top of that, snappers pulled out of it on only the 2nd time I wore it.
I had that snaps thing happen to the first one I bought plus it tended to leak in some of the seam areas where water puddled. Like the crotch. I sent it back and they sent a new one which I've beat the heck out of and it's held up pretty well.

Last year in Florida I bought another set as I'd left my original ones home. That was because I'd decided to take my one-piece 'Stich and wouldn't need anything else. Wrong. When I hit those areas where the temps were soaring beyond the comfort level of the 'Stich I stopped wearing it and sure enough, it would rain anyway. Wearing the new set of Frogg Toggs was miserable, mainly due to their inability to breath but I did stay dry. I know, I know, they're advertising claims otherwise but in high humidity areas it just isn't up to the task. Still they were easier to deal with than the 'Stich.

This year when I rode my newly purchased NT home from NY I took the set from Florida and wore them over my mesh summer jacket with armor. When it got really cold I added an electric vest and it seemed to make a versatile outfit that was quick to make changes with.

I guess the really great thing about them besides their low cost is they roll up into a very small pack and that makes them easy to store, unlike some of the others I've owned.

LL75 :smile:

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I wear an Aerostitch and I don't need no steeenkin' rain suit. The most common complaint about 'Stitchs in the rain is a wet crotch, but I've never gotten wet wearing mine. Except for that one time when I rode about 50 miles in a torrential downpour and a 40-50mph 90-degree crosswind with the side and back vents open. Even then I didn't get very wet until I stopped and my cotton t-shirt and cotton shorts wicked the moisture all the way around my body.
I'm lucky I guess as I've never experienced the wet crotch so many 'Stich owners complain about. I think it may be due in part to the tank bags I've used, they're all fairly big and probably helped deflect water away. I admit I like the 'Stich a lot, so much in fact I recently couldn't say no to a 2nd set offered on ADVrider that were half the price of new. BTW that's the best source I've found for great buys on used gear if you haven't tried it. Why two 'Stich's you ask? One for the skinny me and one for the really fat me....:rofl1:

LL75 :cool:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hmmm...I could get a 'Stitch for fat me and then another for really fat me.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am thinking of getting an Aero-Stich Roadcafter Light. It looks like a good all around suit

Raycad

For the last 18 years, I've had two Aerostich regular one piece Roadcrafters, red for conspicuousness. Not totally waterproof in heavy, day-long rain, which is why I keep a dedicated rainsuit in the panniers. Last one (8-year old) is horribly sun faded and dirty in spite of yearly washing and treating with either Scotchgard or Camp Dry, plus UV Tech. I had to add metal snaps to the collar and breast pocket velcro to keep them closed. Now the ankle velcro isn't holding anymore.

I'm seriously considering First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and First Gear HT overpants. Reasonably priced and seemingly totally waterproof. I've seen only good reviews about them and absolutely no bad review.

Ray

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Go for it, Ray! I'd love to see a comparison between the Kilimanjaro stuff and the 'Stitch.

Top Bottom