What rain suite do you use?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm seriously considering First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket

I really like my new version 5.x Kilimanjaro, it is one of the best product First Gear has ever turned out in my opinion. My ten year old Kilimanjaro was nice but the new one is much better.... Now I just carry cheap rain pants to go over my Draggin Jeans...

Bike
Silver NT700V
I don't really have a rain suit, as such. My riding suit for three years has been an Olympia GT Air Transitions jacket and Olympia AST mesh pants. Both have internal liners that are water and wind proof. On LD Dave's RTE in 2009 (pre-NT) I rode 6+ hours in rain and fog with not problems. Since then I've had few other rain rides with no leakage. The liners stay on the bike at all times, "just in case".

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Rick,
Hi-Viz Yellow is the way to go. All my bicycling clothing with the exception of my Racing Kit (Team Uniform) is Hi-Viz. That color has saved my butt many times. It shows up incredibly well in fog--red does not.

Raycad

Eighteen years ago, even eight years ago, Hi-Viz wasn't invented yet.... red was the Hi-Viz du jour. Yes, I was warned that the red color would fade quickly, but safety goes before vanity, right?

I'm seriously considering Hi-Viz for the Kilimanjaro, but I'm wary of being asked, when entering a restaurant or a store: "Are you a fireman?" Apparently, it happens....

Maybe a silver/grey Kilimanjaro with a Hi-Viz vest that can be quickly taken off if need be?

Ray

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
but I'm wary of being asked, when entering a restaurant or a store: "Are you a fireman?"

It does happen, but it hasn't bothered me. I just say, "Nah, I'm a motorcyclist," or "Nah, I'm an astronaut."

I love Hi-Viz yellow as a conversation starter, but I'm a bit extroverted.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm seriously considering Hi-Viz for the Kilimanjaro, but I'm wary of being asked, when entering a restaurant or a store: "Are you a fireman?" Apparently, it happens....
My new Kilimanjaro is Hi-Viz Yellow and it hasn't happened to me yet....and I have "extra" Hi-Viz SOLAS tape sewn all over mine.....

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The first time I arrived at work with my Hi-Viz Kilimanjaro I got the fireman comment. If you order the older 5.0 model many of the mail order companies have them on sale for around $189 US. The regular price was $299.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For the last 18 years, I've had two Aerostich regular one piece Roadcrafters, red for conspicuousness. Not totally waterproof in heavy, day-long rain, which is why I keep a dedicated rainsuit in the panniers. Last one (8-year old) is horribly sun faded and dirty in spite of yearly washing and treating with either Scotchgard or Camp Dry, plus UV Tech. I had to add metal snaps to the collar and breast pocket velcro to keep them closed. Now the ankle velcro isn't holding anymore.

I'm seriously considering First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and First Gear HT overpants. Reasonably priced and seemingly totally waterproof. I've seen only good reviews about them and absolutely no bad review.

Ray
Ray
I own both. They are well made. I wear the over pants for commuting so that I can wear them over my slacks. I do not wear them for touring since they are too bulky to suit me when not being used as an over pant. I usually wear my sliders with separate knee pads underneath for touring.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I hate to admit this but I'm so darn vain I can't bring myself to wear hi-viz. :redface: Maybe if I rode a non-red bike I'd be ok with it but I just can't do it with a red/burgundy/orangish bike and I've got several of them. Even my old Yamaha XS-1 650 is metalic green, not exactly a fashion statement but I don't ride it anyway. About the only one I'd do it with would be the yellow wing and it's going away. Most of my gear is black with the exceptions of two (yes 2!) 'stiches, one is red/black and the other is grey/black. Mr Invisible here. Even some of my helmets are black.... Hey, I have a couple of white ones too, so not everything is wrong.

I think I hear my oatmeal boiling over, I have to go. :eek1:

LL75 :rolleyes1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I feel that survival takes precedence over fashion. I am sure that when I walk into a convenience store with my hi-viz jersey and skin tight spandex bicycle clothes to fill my water bottles, I get some looks. Nobody has ever made a derogatory remark yet. I usually get a, "You really want to get seen" There are too many people driving with cell phones and all other types of distractions. My bicycle has a red strobe on the back and a white strobe on the front. These strobes are not the ones you get at Wal-Mart's bicycle department--these are twice as bright. I would love to have them on the MC, but they would not be legal. I do think that a red strobe on the helmet would be legal. I'll have to check with the State Police on that.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Here's a novel rain suit. I suppose you could even say it's a rain suite.

It's more than novel; I'd say it's revolutionary. And that's when it's just for him. When his lady demonstrated the passenger function, I was sold. I didn't even need to see the mobile restroom function. Where can I buy one?

Ken

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
And to think, we've got people worried about looking "funny" if they wear Hi-Viz yellow...

elizilla

I'm thinking you could use it as a tent as well. And when you go to the circus I bet they let you in free.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
This came up in the Guzzi forum too. A long time rider was frustrated with "breathable" and "waterproof", especially seams in the crotch. A lot of the guys liked the stich but many also admitted having to treat them to keep them water proof. Same with any gore tex gear.

So I went on a search.

The best info I got was actually from the UK NT site. The dispatch riders had some great info. The results? Industrial/marine rain gear. Especially for the pants. NOT breathable. Waterproof. Regatta stuff. One recommended Dickies. A couple mentioned waxed cotton bib coveralls. One said he got the cheap stuff and just replaced it when it started to leak.

I have the FG Kilimanjaro (4) but have never had it tested in the rain. We just don't get much out here. I keep frogg toggs on the bike and have used them a few times, but, only for a couple hours at a time. They do keep the rain out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I use a Triumph chevron one piece it's really slick, easy in and out and keeps me bone dry the only drawback like most suits you can roast in the thing if the sun pops out.

Top Bottom