Why Won't They Wave?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am 58 years old and have owned and ridden motorcycles for 40 of those years. I have owned a Yamaha, 3 Hondas, and a 1977 BMW R100 RS. My longest ride was from NC to Niagra Falls many years ago on the Beemer. I took the MSF Instructors course many years ago, but never taught. My favorite bike (except for my silver NT) is my 1989 Trans Alp, which I still own. My wife and I greatly slacked off riding during the child raising years with our 2 daughters, but I always had a bike in the building.. This year both my sons-in-law decided to take the MSF course and get bikes. This inspired me to get with the program again while I could still keep a bike upright. I did a lot of research, and, being a certified Honda nut, ended up going to Chattanooga, TN. I brought back my new love with only 13,000 miles on her and a lot of farkles. What a great decision! Wife and I have put on about 3,000 trouble-free miles in 3 months. By far the most concentrated period of riding in my lifetime. I said all that to say this. Things have changed. About 90% of the bikes I meet these days are Cruisers. I have always waved at other cycle riders when I meet them. Still do. I still wave the old fashioned way, with my hand up in the air. They used to all wave back. Meeting another rider was special. I always wonder where they are going. I thought we were all part of a very special group of people. Adventurous, fun loving, curious. Always wondering what is around the next curve, or where does that road go? Waving acknowledges that I think you are special. Having the wave returned makes me think I am special.
Yesterday my wife and I celebrated the first day of Fall and gorgeous weather with a 2 1/2 hr. ride to White Lake, NC. Great ride except for one thing. There was a huge, private motor-home camping facility at the lake. We got caught at the stop light at the entrance. 2 Harley riders, one with a passenger, were opposite us, waiting to turn in to the place. We all got to look at each other until the light changed. They had to wait for us to pass before they could turn. As they all had open helmets on I got a very good look at their faces as I waved at them at about 5 mph. These were older men, 55 or so. Family looking men. They were all looking at me, I could tell. Their hands did not move from the bars. The expressions on their faces did not change. Stern. Cold. How dare you wave at me. Look what a MACHO MAN I am. Look at this big loud shiny thing that I am straddling! I think they would have spit on my boots if they could. Sad. Very sad. Out on the road, probably 90% of these gentlemen will not return a wave. My wife says Oh Well - Their Loss. When I meet you folks I promise I'll WAVE.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Around here, some wave, some don't. Does't make any difference what brand or what category of bike people are riding. Some wave, some don't.

I wave at most folks, no matter what they're riding.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I make a special effort to wave at scooters. They tickle my funny-bone and remind me of the Cushman Tank that was the first motorized vehicle I ever had under my own control.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've found that in the Western states pretty much everyone waves, unless the guy's hands or attention are more critically occupied. Sometimes in such circumstances a passenger might wave. Bike make seems to make no difference. I sometimes wave at bicyclists.

BTW, sticking one's hand out into the slipstream while doing 85 MPH into a 30 MPH headwind can be painful.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Down under, here in Australia, some wave some don't but I try to wave to everyone I see, unless circumstances would make it dangerous to do so

AzzA

Nodding is the more common salutation throughout Oz.

There's the straight forward nod and the tilted nod (as if winking with exaggeration). :wink:

The origin of the nod is unknown, but I like to think of it as making eye contact with the other rider... or as much eye contact as two full face helmets with tinted visors will allow. :)

Waving is nice, and nearly everyone crossing the Nullarbor Plain will wave (coz there's bugger all else to be seen for hours at a time), but it's considered a bit naff or uncool by some trendy folk to wave around the more metropolitan areas.:wine1::cool:

Given the prevalent penchant for high-powered and twitchy-steered sports bikes, it's no bloody wonder many wont wave; they're too damn scared to take one hand off the bars whilst moving.
:spsmile:

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
At my workplace when meeting co-workers, engineers, or management in the hallways.... most will smile and acknowledge your presence with a small wave. Some just look at the floor. I guess the hiways are no different. Sorry for the rant. I should not have taken it personally. Peace.

bonifier

Crowbuster when I read your quote I thought you were where I worked at. The people at my work place act the same way.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I'm trying out a different technique...

Normally, I'll wave and look at the bike/rider and 'expect' a wave back.

Now, I'm trying to just wave but keep looking forward and watching the road. It's not easy to do. But, that way if they don't wave, I don't somehow feel shunned ... LOL

I don't always wave myself, either I'm way too busy w/traffic or looking the other direction at something so I've been on the 'didn't wave' side.

It's really nothing personal.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
even saying my personal affirmation just doesn't seem to help anymore...darn it, i'm just not good enough and people don't like me...
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!.. but you're funny and that's good enough.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Here in the Maine, virtually everybody waves. Funny that sometimes scooter riders don't wave. I don't think they know that they're supposed to.

At work, I find that unless I know someone pretty well, they rarely make eye contact as I walk across campus and rarely even respond to hello. I have a hypothesis about it. It's related to why most academics are on campus and not in the real world, but I won't go there.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I always take it personally, realizing that they don't wave back because they don't like me...
If I really didn't like you I'd wave back with a "modified" wave :eek1: so you know it for sure... You're just being "dissed", not disliked...at least so far....:D

There are folks who don't wave back on all brands of bikes...even some NT riders...I know that is a fact because I didn't always wave back while riding my NT! Better change that marketing slogan to "You Meet The Rudest People On A Honda!" :rolleyes1: :D :rofl1: :crackup:

jackgermain

I am in Tacoma WA. Here most wave but some don't. Is it possible that your wave is WRONG ?? I would like to pass along a bit of tradition that was passed to me. Not saying that I am right or that the information I received is right BUT here it is. When waving from biker to biker the proper and respectful way to wave is with the arm extended downward and fingers pointed to the ground. This is a message of recognition, respect and above all else - wishing them to keep their wheels on the ground.
This being said I will say that since I no longer ride a cruiser and now ride my silver NT700 my return waves have gone down about 50%. The majority of the ones I do get are now from 20 year old guys on the crotch rockets. I personally feel that a scooter is a scooter. Heck - as long as you are on the road with a bike we are family. However I must admit that I see and feel a bit of division here between the Harley riders and "the rest of us".

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I always take it personally, realizing that they don't wave back because they don't like me...
Thanks. Next time I don't get a wave in return I will think of this and laugh....and laugh...and laugh.

And in the future, I will not return a wave to any other NT riders hoping that they have read this and get the joke. Spread the hate!

Can the forum nominate annual awards for the funniest one-liners?

jackgermain

Recently saw this article saying Why Harley Riders Do Not Wave Back -- Thought it was funny and wanted to pass it along.

1. They're afraid it will invalidate their factory warranty.
  2. Leather and studs make it too hard to raise their arm.
  3. They refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
  4. They won't let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
  5. The rushing wind could blow the scabs off their new tattoos.
  6. They're angry over the second mortgage needed to pay for the new Harley.
  7. They just discovered the fine print in their owner's manual revealing that The Motor Company is partially owned by rice-burner manufacturers.
  8. They can't tell if other riders are actually waving or just reaching up to cover their ears, like everyone else.
  9. If they wave back, they risk being impaled on their spiked helmet.
  10. They're upset that after spending $30,000, they still don't own a bike that's as comfortable as a Goldwing

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If the cruiser guys wave, it is done by dropping their left hand off the grip and dangling to straight down. Now since most of them are riding a black bike and wearing dark denim pants with black on top, plus black fingerless gloves, there "wave" is nearly invisible - at least to me. Many of the cruiser guys refer to us sport touring types as "the Power Rangers" because we actually wear colored garb and many times brightly colored apparel!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That's funny. I wave to every two/three wheels vehicle I see. Hey...come to think of it, I don't think any scooter rider has ever waived back to me.:doh1: That's okay, I think scooters are cool...because they have two wheels and a motor. Anyway, I generally don't look at passing motorcycles to closely so I never know if they wave back or not. I don't wave to get a wave. I just wave say "Hi" or "What's up fellow rider". It's just fun to do. I even wave at little kids or pets in cars that are staring at me.
:hat2:

I'm sure I've missed some passing bikes though. I wonder if they tell their friends that they saw a Goldwing rider that was to cool to wave at them. :eek1: :rofl1:

Top Bottom