Why Won't They Wave?

elizilla

Everyone waves at the Ural, and I try to wave back, though I often have my hands full and just can't. In those cases I nod.

When I go to the area near Deal's Gap I tend to stop waving because there are SO many bikes. I'd never have both hands on the bars. Waving is a thing for times and places that you're in the minority and you are waving to your fellow oddballs.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My Top Five Reasons Why Harley Owners Don't Wave:

1. For the same reasons most people don't always wave, they weren't paying attention, they were doing something else. I need both hands on the bars at a stop as I stay in gear, that means my left hand and right hand are both busy...watch for my left boot waving...:D
2. They don't recall seeing that requirement in the DMV Motorcycle Endorsement Study Guide or the MSF Course materials.
3. They like knowing insecure "import" riders are complaining that they didn't wave...
4. They don't like "imports" or whatever it is you're riding...
5. If I have to explain it to you you won't understand...

I wave at everyone, even Hondas, whether I'm on my Harley or my Yamaha FJ1200...the response rate is about the same. Anyone who gets missed, except BobAgain, was simply missed... Bob is still being "Dissed"...:D I suggest not letting personal insecurities, unfulfilled desires, or the irrelevant action of someone you don't even know get in the way of enjoying your ride on whatever you ride... And I don't care if you don't wave back...see Reason 5...:D

tawilke46

I am in Tacoma WA. Here most wave but some don't. Is it possible that your wave is WRONG ?? I would like to pass along a bit of tradition that was passed to me. Not saying that I am right or that the information I received is right BUT here it is. When waving from biker to biker the proper and respectful way to wave is with the arm extended downward and fingers pointed to the ground. This is a message of recognition, respect and above all else - wishing them to keep their wheels on the ground.
This being said I will say that since I no longer ride a cruiser and now ride my silver NT700 my return waves have gone down about 50%. The majority of the ones I do get are now from 20 year old guys on the crotch rockets. I personally feel that a scooter is a scooter. Heck - as long as you are on the road with a bike we are family. However I must admit that I see and feel a bit of division here between the Harley riders and "the rest of us".
Also it cuts the wind drag on your arm and hand to do it that way.........just an easier way to wave, and maybe more respectful.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Awhile back someone here posted a link to this article on how not to wave like a dork.
Check out the little dog on the back of the bike; he's got it down.
I found it humorous and informative. Here's a LINK to the article.

1fastbob

In order not to elevate Mellow's blood pressure I will refrain from posting my opinion on this thread.:rofl1::cool::rofl1:

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for all the great responses and information on waving. Who knew? The article on the many different types of waves was the best. I will practice.:wink:

Bike
choosing
Allright now Phil!!!!!!

My dad bought my first bike....a Cushman Eagle. It was a used bike that my dad
bought from a co-worker. I was 11 years old. My dad followed me while I rode it
home. A motorcycle cop pulled me over and wrote me 5 tickets. My dad tried to
talk to him in the hopes that he would have some sympathy. He was a total
A-Hole. Never showed up in court. The Judge threw it out. He had more compassion
than the cop. I think the cop was trying to make his quota just off of me. True story.

Joe

skiper

I think dr. strangelove waved once too often as did Yosarian.

elizilla

When I carry a passenger I always tell them that it's their job to watch for other bikes and wave to them. Few seem to do that job very well. Not sure if they are failing to pay attention back there, or what.

bflophil

Speaking as a Harley rider who rides with a group of other Harley riders we return waves to any bike that goes by regardless of what they ride. I also own an nt but I don't take it personally if someone doesn't acknowledge me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Joe, I'm jealous!! I loved the Cushman Eagle. It was sooooo cool compared to the Cushman tank we had. Didn't the Eagle have a transmission? Seems like I remember a 2-speed.

Ours had a centrifugal clutch that would start to really stink by the time we finished our paper routes! The Eagle looked like a motorcycle.

Ours looked like this:

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
It truly is an interesting dynamic, isn't it? It's something I probably think about more than I should.

I wave to everyone.. usually a horizontal or downward wave or just a couple fingers. Sport tourers and adventure bikes ALWAYS wave (the BMW GS's especially now...probably because they think I am on one at first glance lol) . Often they wave before I do which I'm generally not used to and makes me feel good inside. Sport bikes generally don't initiate, but usually return the wave. Cruisers and Harleys I can no longer lump together because non-HD cruisers tend to return the wave more often, or even initiate. Harleys are really a mixed bag. Some days none return a wave or even move their head from its cocked-back position behind the street glide's big fairing. Other days they wave as much as everyone else. In general they definitely wave the least and that seems to be directly proportional to how much leather or 5 o'clock shadow is visible.

It doesn't offend me. I'll give a casual wave regardless as I want to perpetuate the idea of a friendly motorcycling community.

AzzA

OK... I get it... Now I know, for sure, why Australian riders nod at each other instead of waving; you American riders have made waving too ruddy complicated. :wink:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson met while riding their bikes one morning and waved. Someone saw them and assumed it was part of biker ettiquite.

When we had an MG-B, sports car drivers would wave at each other in northern California.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson met while riding their bikes one morning and waved. Someone saw them and assumed it was part of biker ettiquite.

I wonder if either of them would have waved at George Hendee if he had ridden by.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Jeep Wrangler owners wave to each other also. Always thought that was an interesting one (like, why that vehicle niche and not others...although there probably are others i'm just not aware of).

Top Bottom