Wind Deflector Set

Igo

+1 on accessories4bikes.com. In fact they have the best price on the wind deflectors, heated grips, harness, tank pad and etc. I ordered all those and the shipping cost was only ~$26 and NO TAX.
How much where the heated grips and all necessary hardware? There specifics are confusing to me.
I went ahead and ordered the wind deflectors today. I saw Ricks and they are very much NOT obtrusive.

CoolNT

How much where the heated grips and all necessary hardware? There specifics are confusing to me.
I went ahead and ordered the wind deflectors today. I saw Ricks and they are very much NOT obtrusive.
For plug 'n play, you'll need the following:

http://www.accessories4bikes.com/accessory-wire-harness-p-11427.html $11.51
http://www.accessories4bikes.com/heated-grips-with-thermostat-p-11417.html $146.26
http://www.accessories4bikes.com/heated-grips-with-thermostat-attachment-p-11418.html $84.66

Igo

I guess this is what was confusing when I visited the web site earlier. The last two links look and read like they are the same thing. Is the last link the extra wiring harness people say you don't need? Is the first link an accessory outlet? If so, I only really need to middle link, correct?
Thanks in advance.

CoolNT

The first link is for either connecting the heated grips harness or a 12v accessory socket but not both. So in this case, you'll need it. The last link is indeed the main wiring harness. Some have done w/o it but had to go digging for a switched wiring, etc. If you want true PnP, then you may want to consider getting this harness.

Igo

Thanks a bunch. I still have to decide if I want to spend the money.

Igo

Installed the wind deflectors today. I can testify that they reduce the wind on the knuckle face by 70% or more. That's a wonderful thing in the winter. In the summer, not so much maybe.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Installed the wind deflectors today. I can testify that they reduce the wind on the knuckle face by 70% or more. That's a wonderful thing in the winter. In the summer, not so much maybe.

I put mine on yesterday, but have not ridden the bike as the instructions say to not ride for 24 hours. The double back tape takes 72 hours to cure completely. I will have to ride the Wee tomorrow. maybe by Wednesday I can take the NT out. Still waiting on tires for the ST.

Igo

I saw that 24 hour instruction. I never went over 50 today but I wasn't letting the NT sit on a day like today. I didn't have any problems.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I put mine on yesterday, but have not ridden the bike as the instructions say to not ride for 24 hours. The double back tape takes 72 hours to cure completely

Well, not really. Back in October when Dudley was blown off his sidestand, the right side deflector came loose. As I was leaving the Springs, I stopped at an Auto Zone out in Falcon and bought a roll of the tape, stuck the thing back on and blasted off into really high winds and rain out to about Peyton, figuring I'd have to re-attach it when I got home. It's still sitting right there. And, it was cold that day.

Igo

It's just foam backed 3M double stick tape. Honda made it sound high tec though.
I have to admit, they really add a touch of class to the bike and I think I'm really going to apreciate them in the winter.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I appreciate them in the summer, too. Partly, I admit, for the "look of class" they add, but partly for function. When it rains, they help. They don't eliminate wet gloves, but they help.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm resurrecting an old thread here - to get some advice.

In December, I'm taking a long ride from here in deep south Texas to Miami, Florida. However, on the way back, I'll be visiting an old friend in the mountains of north Georgia, then on to a nephew's house in Nashville via the North Carolina mountains.

In other words, I will be warm for most of the trip, but I'll have a couple of days when temps will be nippy. With the good weather protection of the NT, plus a +6 Cee Bailey wind screen, and some warm gear, I'll be fine - - except for my hands. They're right out there in the wind.

No need to fit heated grips - I'll never need them again. I have lined GoreTex gloves with liners, but from past experience, I know my hands will be cold, even if the rest of me is okay. I think some sort of wind deflector is what I need, but I also want something I can remove after the trip. I have Helibar risers installed, and they are 2 1/2 inches up and 3 1/2 inches back. In other words, the Honda deflectors will not work.

I saw in an earlier post that someone had installed Acerbis dirt bike deflectors, but there were few comments on how well they worked. As I said above, I will remove them after the trip. Its warm here - most of the time I want wind on my hands. (The average daily high right now in late October is 87.)

Any ideas out there, folks?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, I had some and they worked very well. Great for wind and also keep most of the rain off. Also stop bugs :)

DSCF0680.jpg

I went to Cycle Gear and found the cheapest black ones that didn't have too many holes in them. In retrospect you can get colored ones and a can of spray paint :) Mine were $39

I also have the Oxford heated grips. $70. I highly recommend them. It is amazing how much better riding is even when it is only in the 40's when you turn on the grip heat. I do have to say that I do not have heated grips on the Guzzi. I will be getting heated gloves instead. Much more expensive, but, more capability, especially since I ride when it is in the low 20's.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Charlie,
Even with electric handgrips and the heaviest non electric winter gloves my hands get cold during my winter commutes. I was thinking the hand guards like you installed might help. I noticed that the bracket for the guards requires you to move the clutch and brake assemble inward on the handle bars. When I ride I can feel the ball on the levers touch my little finger. It seems if I move the assemblies inward my little finger will no longer contact the lever. Was that a problem for you ? Of course I could get electric gloves but would rather not have to fuss with the wiring.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Warren,

When I ride in below freezing weather the heated grips aren't enough. That's why I am moving to heated gloves. But, for most people who ride when it is in the 40's and above, heated grips are great. I am not getting wired gloves. Battery power will work for what I want most of the time. 99% of the time I only need the heat for an hour or two in the mornings. And, I may get heated grips as well for those times when I don't want to mess with bulky gloves but want a little warmth.

One of the other problems with heated grips is that I rarely grip the bars. Most of the time I rest my palm on the grips, two fingers are on each lever and the others loosely curled but not touching the grip. When on the interstate I have the throttle lock engaged and am frequently have one hand not on the grip at all.

The lever position wasn't important for me, BUT, I trained myself a long time ago to only use my first two fingers on the levers. So, I never noticed if my pinky would have been affected by the movement of the levers. Sometimes, if at a stop long enough I will grip the clutch lever with all fingers, but, I usually shift into neutral at stops so rarely becomes an issue.

PS and yes, the hand guards do help a LOT for winter riding

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Thanks for the input. I had looked at the battery powered electric gloves and have been tempted to get a pair but my concern was in TN I would probably only need them for 2-3 months. I was concerned how long the batteries would last if they were not used for 7 months.

I have the Gerbing electric gloves that attach to the Gerbing jacket. I have a dual controller that controls the input to the both the jacket and the gloves independently. It is very nice to have the gloves even in the 40s and 50s. I've had electric grips on previous grips and for me it didn't work if it was cold as the outside of my hands would get cold. Also, like Charlie, I often ride with one of my hands off the handlebars. I know the Gerbing equipment is expensive, but it is a wonderful addition to my riding.

Terry

Top Bottom