Your road trip plans? (and dreams)

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I got to ride in Europe in '08. 18 days on a borrowed Connie/GTR. Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein. About 3800 miles. Truly an awesome experience.
Any tips on riding in Europe- accomodations, quirky rules of the road, autobahn, lane splitting(filtering), theft.etc?

elizilla

Well, every year I take at least one weekend trip to the Ohio River area near Marietta OH in April. Then at the end of April I will go to Tellico Plains TN, and in late May I'll go to Franklin NC; both of those will be four day weekends. In June I'll go to the Marietta area again at least once. Labor Day, I'll go to Maine, and in October I'll go to Tellico Plains again. I do these things every year, though, so they don't count as big plans.

A group from the Sabmag list is going to Germany in early August, renting bikes for a week. I know all the people in the group and consider some of them my close friends, so it would be fun to do this with them. But if I do go, I'll make it two weeks - I'd like to have some time on my own over there, because I know from crossing the USA that doing it alone is just totally different than riding with a group. Totally different. And I'd like to see the Alps that way. I'm going to try to rent either a VFR1200 or a Super Tenere.

But I don't know if I'll go on the Europe trip. A lot will depend on how other events in my life shake out, this year. If I don't go to Europe, I'll do something here in North America. Maybe another visit to the Canadian Maritimes.

I get four weeks of vacation and I don't have any children or pets. My S.O. and I take the majority of our vacations separately - we like to do different things, in different ways.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
With the Natchez Trace Parkway being out my back door I plan at least a three day weekend to ride it both ways. Eastern Tennessee is also in my plans.

1TRAK

This year I'm blessed with a trip that's been on the list a long while. Four friends and I are taking a 12 day trip to SD, WY, and CO from MICH. Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands, Devils Tower, RMNP, Mt Evans, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Great Sand Dunes NP, camping in the Alpine and High Desert are a few of the highlights. This tour will be different for my friends though as most will be new to bike camping, which we hope to do every day weather permitting. We've all waited years for this trip and are counting the days! :cool:

OP
OP

Igo

Well, every year I take at least one weekend trip to the Ohio River area near Marietta OH in April. Then at the end of April I will go to Tellico Plains TN, and in late May I'll go to Franklin NC; both of those will be four day weekends. In June I'll go to the Marietta area again at least once. Labor Day, I'll go to Maine, and in October I'll go to Tellico Plains again. I do these things every year, though, so they don't count as big plans.

A group from the Sabmag list is going to Germany in early August, renting bikes for a week. I know all the people in the group and consider some of them my close friends, so it would be fun to do this with them. But if I do go, I'll make it two weeks - I'd like to have some time on my own over there, because I know from crossing the USA that doing it alone is just totally different than riding with a group. Totally different. And I'd like to see the Alps that way. I'm going to try to rent either a VFR1200 or a Super Tenere.

But I don't know if I'll go on the Europe trip. A lot will depend on how other events in my life shake out, this year. If I don't go to Europe, I'll do something here in North America. Maybe another visit to the Canadian Maritimes.

I get four weeks of vacation and I don't have any children or pets. My S.O. and I take the majority of our vacations separately - we like to do different things, in different ways.
I love sitting around camp with a bunch of folks who just finished the same route but 99% of my trips are solo. I like to do things my way and experience new places my way. I backpack solo as well.
As for your distinantions, My dad has a summer place in Blairsville near Murphy. I've been very fortunate to have ridden those roads many times. Some fantastic routes all through there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Eric,

Your plan sounds pretty grand to me. I wish I could get my son to try motorcycling. When I was a serious bicycle rider, he wasn't interested. When my knees forced a migration to motorcycles, he started riding bicycles. I'm guessing that as soon as I can't ride (20-30 years from now when I'm in my late 90's, he'll start riding a motorcycle.

CoolNT

Hey Eric,

I'm not familiar with Canyon Lake but do know the Fredericksburg area. It should make for a nice ride there. I'd wanna do the TX Hill Country during that time, but my daughter wants to go camping in our TT some time during Spring Break.

1TRAK

That sounds like a great schedule, believe I have a bit of travel envy though. Those are all great rides in the US though I haven't traveled Europe or the Maritimes. I ride to Robbinsville or Tellico Plains about every other year, that part of Appalachia is great. One of my favorites is the Cherohala Skyway, I discover something new on it every time. Headed to Tellico Plains in April with the Great Lakes Dual Sporters, believe we're riding the area north of the Ocoee River. Good Luck with the Europe trip, I've read good things about the Super Tenere! RIDE SAFE

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Igo

I've rafted the Ocoee and the Chatooga. Riding along the Ocoee is beautiful. Whitewater Olympics were held there in what, 1996 I believe?

MAC

This summer in June my wife and I will spend a week in VT, our base will be in Stowe and we will take day trips from there. One of our favorite roads is RT 100 so that is a must do.

We also want to spend a week in Maine around Bar Harbor and spend a couple days going through Acadia Natl Pk. We have been there a couple times and you think you have seen it all, but there is always some thing you have mist.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V (ABS)
When I get off this rock I'd love to ride my NT cross country back to Ohio. I hear the Rockies are breathtaking in the morning when riding and I'd like to experience that!

1TRAK

I've rafted the Ocoee and the Chatooga. Riding along the Ocoee is beautiful. Whitewater Olympics were held there in what, 1996 I believe?
I believe you're right, seems there's a placard on one of the stores there about the Olympics. If you haven't already next time you're down there take a ride up Forest Road 77 a few miles east of Parksville. It goes to the top of Chillowee Mountain with spectacular views of Tenessee Valley to the west. On a different note could you recommend a quality sleeping pad that has a self contained pump? Last weekend a friend and I were tent camping and dual sporting Southern Indiana and the ground just seemed harder than normal. I've been using an exercise pad for years no problem but the bones are saying it's time for a major upgrade. I saw an Airmat 7.5 pump DLX that looked great but thought to ask before I spend $90 on one. Thanks for your help. Steve :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I hear the Rockies are breathtaking in the morning when riding and I'd like to experience that!

The Rockies are pretty breath-taking any time of day. I haven't seen them as often in the morning as at sunset. :)

elizilla

1TRAK, I used a standard Thermarest for years, but the last few times out I realized I had just gotten too old or something. I couldn't stay warm even when it wasn't that cold out, and my elbows would always end up off the mattress and on the ground, and I'd wake up because it was like I was resting my elbows on blocks of ice.

So last year I shopped for a new camping mattress and bought this Exped Downmat 9. It's an air mattress that inflates to be several inches thick, but it has a down layer that keeps you from freezing your butt off from the cold air underneath. It's wider than my Thermarest was, so my elbows don't touch the ground, and it's longer, warmer, and protects better from the lumps in the ground. It has a stuff sack that doubles as a pump. It is easier to inflate and easier to deflate, and packs about the same size as the Thermarest did. It is however pretty expensive. I am still glad I got it. Since I got it I have been sleeping as well in the tent as I do in my bed at home.

OP
OP

Igo

This summer in June my wife and I will spend a week in VT, our base will be in Stowe and we will take day trips from there. One of our favorite roads is RT 100 so that is a must do.

We also want to spend a week in Maine around Bar Harbor and spend a couple days going through Acadia Natl Pk. We have been there a couple times and you think you have seen it all, but there is always some thing you have mist.
I really want to go to this area to bike and hike but it seems so far away. I've never been above NYC.

OP
OP

Igo

I believe you're right, seems there's a placard on one of the stores there about the Olympics. If you haven't already next time you're down there take a ride up Forest Road 77 a few miles east of Parksville. It goes to the top of Chillowee Mountain with spectacular views of Tenessee Valley to the west. On a different note could you recommend a quality sleeping pad that has a self contained pump? Last weekend a friend and I were tent camping and dual sporting Southern Indiana and the ground just seemed harder than normal. I've been using an exercise pad for years no problem but the bones are saying it's time for a major upgrade. I saw an Airmat 7.5 pump DLX that looked great but thought to ask before I spend $90 on one. Thanks for your help. Steve :)
Therma-Rest or the REI knock off. You simply won't beleive these things I promise you.

OP
OP

Igo

The secret to a great nights rest - 3 season.
I'm going to take this to the camping section. If any of you want to camp from your NT, come on over.
I'll have this by mid morning.

OP
OP

Igo

1TRAK, I used a standard Thermarest for years, but the last few times out I realized I had just gotten too old or something. I couldn't stay warm even when it wasn't that cold out, and my elbows would always end up off the mattress and on the ground, and I'd wake up because it was like I was resting my elbows on blocks of ice.

So last year I shopped for a new camping mattress and bought this Exped Downmat 9. It's an air mattress that inflates to be several inches thick, but it has a down layer that keeps you from freezing your butt off from the could air underneath. It's wider than my Thermarest was, so my elbows don't touch the ground, and it's longer, warmer, and protects better from the lumps in the ground. It has a stuff sack that doubles as a pump. It is easier to inflate and easier to deflate, and packs about the same size as the Thermarest did. It is however pretty expensive. I am still glad I got it. Since I got it I have been sleeping as well in the tent as I do in my bed at home.
Closed cell foam collapse and convection heat transfer. If you are cold on a standard, move to a 1/2 inch or inch thicker. Sooner or later you will find your insulation comfort level. It wasn't the different brand that put you back on track, it was the thicker mattress hence the greater dead air space.

Top Bottom