Your road trip plans? (and dreams)

1TRAK

1TRAK, I used a standard Thermarest for years, but the last few times out I realized I had just gotten too old or something. I couldn't stay warm even when it wasn't that cold out, and my elbows would always end up off the mattress and on the ground, and I'd wake up because it was like I was resting my elbows on blocks of ice.

So last year I shopped for a new camping mattress and bought this Exped Downmat 9. It's an air mattress that inflates to be several inches thick, but it has a down layer that keeps you from freezing your butt off from the could air underneath. It's wider than my Thermarest was, so my elbows don't touch the ground, and it's longer, warmer, and protects better from the lumps in the ground. It has a stuff sack that doubles as a pump. It is easier to inflate and easier to deflate, and packs about the same size as the Thermarest did. It is however pretty expensive. I am still glad I got it. Since I got it I have been sleeping as well in the tent as I do in my bed at home.[/QUOTE] Sleeping well while camping is a must for me, riding tired just isn't much fun. The plan is a lot of camping this year so I'm ready to invest in some real comfort. Thanks for the help Katherine, I'll look into that one. :tent6:

elizilla

Closed cell foam collapse and convection heat transfer. If you are cold on a standard, move to a 1/2 inch or inch thicker. Sooner or later you will find your insulation comfort level. It wasn't the different brand that put you back on track, it was the thicker mattress hence the greater dead air space.
Absolutely. I think Thermarest makes a fine camping mattress. But I wanted one that was a little thicker and several inches wider, and that led to more bulk than I wanted, so I decided to consider switching styles. I'd tried the hollow air mattresses years ago and knew that while you can get a larger inflated size from a smaller pack size, they're not warm at all. So I was looking around to see what else was out there when I saw this and decided that the down layer over the larger hollow air mattress might do the trick. And it did!

OP
OP

Igo

I'm not feeling very clever tonight so I want to wait until morning but I have some notes about down AND loft in unison that will make a lot of sense to those who never approached this topic closely. Tomorrow in Camping.

Peace2U_2

WOW IGO.... that is fantastic !

My goal right now is to get more experience and miles under those NT tires. But, my heart dreams of cross country trips. full time work, main caretaking duties for elderly parent, and limited vacation times does not currently allow the rambling that i dream of ........HOWEVER, i do believe the "seed" has been planted....and the connections and networking of meeting other riders is ALL sending signals out to the universe that my cross country trip dreams WILL come true.....one step at a time. There are so many beautiful places in our great country to explore.....and i would like to do them on my own motorcycle.....anywhere and everywhere. Geez...sounds like that song.... "I've been everywhere man....I've been everywhere ".....well, no not yet. but, i am working on it by sending out dreams to the universe. I have a picture frame in my house with a photo of my starter motorcycle....and the frame says : EVERY GREAT DREAM BEGINS WITH A DREAMER !
set me loose NT !

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have lots of trips planned for this summer. But the one I am going to do with the NT is; ride to Dodge City Kansas and spend a day exploring the history and ghosts of Matt Dillon, Kitty, and the Long Branch Saloon, then head south to my buddy's place in Oklahoma. He is holding a maintenance session for our ST folks. I am going to give him a hand. After a couple of day I will head to the Wichita Mountains north of Fort Sill OK. As this is where I did a lot of riding when I lived In Wichita Falls TX. Will have lunch at Meers, best burgers in the territory. Then on into Texas and spend a day or two in Wichita Falls fooling around. Will go check out my Old House. I really do miss the garage space I had there. Will go over to Sheppard Air Force Base and aggravate the SP's. Moving from Sheppard I will head to Fort Worth and have a breakfast at the Blue Hanger. This is a cool little airfield cafe right on the taxiway of North West Regional Airport outside of Roanoke TX. Next I will ride to the Hill Country, San Antonio and visits some of my ex- working buddies. My old unit moved from Wichita Falls to Fort Sam last year. From there I will go west a bit to Lake Medina and spent a couple of days riding the Hill Country with a long time riding buddy of mine. Hopefully I have used up a couple of weeks and then I will attend Cheap STock, held in Camp Wood Texas, this year. After that I will work my way home. I am looking at about 3 weeks on the road. As soon as I get back two days later I will ride my KLR out to Moab for a few days. This trip will be the Bonding trip with the NT. Normally I would ride the ST for this, but, I want to see how the NT and I get along on a longer ride. I am thinking it will be about 2500 miles to 3000 miles round trip. This is going to kick off in the latter part of April.

OP
OP

Igo

WOW IGO.... that is fantastic !

My goal right now is to get more experience and miles under those NT tires. But, my heart dreams of cross country trips. full time work, main caretaking duties for elderly parent, and limited vacation times does not currently allow the rambling that i dream of ........HOWEVER, i do believe the "seed" has been planted....and the connections and networking of meeting other riders is ALL sending signals out to the universe that my cross country trip dreams WILL come true.....one step at a time. There are so many beautiful places in our great country to explore.....and i would like to do them on my own motorcycle.....anywhere and everywhere. Geez...sounds like that song.... "I've been everywhere man....I've been everywhere ".....well, no not yet. but, i am working on it by sending out dreams to the universe. I have a picture frame in my house with a photo of my starter motorcycle....and the frame says : EVERY GREAT DREAM BEGINS WITH A DREAMER !
set me loose NT !
We never had kids. I wanted to, I don't know why it never happened but it is what it is. I'd still trade family for a life of adventure pursuite but only by a small margin. When I was 19 I already was a traveler I just didn't know it. I realized it at 19 when my wife and I went to Talamena in Arkanssa from Dallas to ride the sky line. We brought crap camping gear so save money. We put 2 and 2 together that 50mpg, bring your own food and camp, two very poor kids could travel the country on a dime. I also did my first Iron Butt (tho the society didn't exist then) and my first backpacking trip that year. I have had dozens of $200 vacations.
From the web site Third Rock From The Sun:

>Dad moved us all over the world. When I was 10, I sat on the edge of a live volcano. Wow! When I was a teen I found out that a 35MM camera takes better pictures. At 16, my brother and I drove across the Piedmont to the mountains, by ourselves. When I was 19, my wife and I found out how much further we could go if we did these things: ride a motorcycle instead of driving a car, bring our food with us, sleep on the ground, and call in sick the week before or after our scheduled vacations.
At these ages, I found out that there is an entirely different world under the water, beneath the rim or on top of the mountain. That there is so much more to see if you learn how to see it off season; if you don't need a Mickey D's or a Holiday Inn to see it.
Then there are people. They muck up this planet. Then again, they make music. They make plays, and children. They make the cameras I buy. They make good company when I'm down or I've got something I want to share. They're essential when I don't want to be alone. They recycle the plastics that pay my bills. I guess they can be pretty wonderful. They are certainly a part of this journey.
Finally there is family. Encouragement is really the only way this site got built.

This is my story, or really, the story of any dopamine afflicted T-types destined to wonder this planet. Not so much a story told with text but many times a thousand words are told just the same. A little story told in digital doodle and photography, about travel and high adventure on this the........

........Third Rock From the Sun -IGO

Here are some pictures as long as I'm swooning over the back roads and back country.

http://www.summitpost.org/image_list/igo/39275

OP
OP

Igo

I have lots of trips planned for this summer. But the one I am going to do with the NT is; ride to Dodge City Kansas and spend a day exploring the history and ghosts of Matt Dillon, Kitty, and the Long Branch Saloon, then head south to my buddy's place in Oklahoma. He is holding a maintenance session for our ST folks. I am going to give him a hand. After a couple of day I will head to the Wichita Mountains north of Fort Sill OK. As this is where I did a lot of riding when I lived In Wichita Falls TX. Will have lunch at Meers, best burgers in the territory. Then on into Texas and spend a day or two in Wichita Falls fooling around. Will go check out my Old House. I really do miss the garage space I had there. Will go over to Sheppard Air Force Base and aggravate the SP's. Moving from Sheppard I will head to Fort Worth and have a breakfast at the Blue Hanger. This is a cool little airfield cafe right on the taxiway of North West Regional Airport outside of Roanoke TX. Next I will ride to the Hill Country, San Antonio and visits some of my ex- working buddies. My old unit moved from Wichita Falls to Fort Sam last year. From there I will go west a bit to Lake Medina and spent a couple of days riding the Hill Country with a long time riding buddy of mine. Hopefully I have used up a couple of weeks and then I will attend Cheap STock, held in Camp Wood Texas, this year. After that I will work my way home. I am looking at about 3 weeks on the road. As soon as I get back two days later I will ride my KLR out to Moab for a few days. This trip will be the Bonding trip with the NT. Normally I would ride the ST for this, but, I want to see how the NT and I get along on a longer ride. I am thinking it will be about 2500 miles to 3000 miles round trip. This is going to kick off in the latter part of April.
Wonderful trip plans sir. I was the First Office of the Fort Worth Chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club for some years. One of the largest chapters in the nation and many of the kindest and most colorful characters I ever met. Give them a ring when in Fort Worth. Several to dozens ride to dinner almost every night. They know every diner in north Texas and then some.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Ive never taken a really long trip but this June I'm heading out of NY and going down to Pensacola Florida. I'll have some time to get down there and back so I'm looking forward to finding some great roads and good camping. Any advice is appreciated. Happy riding!
cheers,

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That'll be a great trip, Jaster! Be sure to ride at least parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've never ridden I-95, but reports make me think I'd probably swing out farther west and look for 2-laners to ride if I had time.

My long trip for this year is coming up in three weeks, when I'll be going to east Texas for my 50th high school reunion, visits with some old friends, a hopeful hookup with some of the Texas NT guys, and a day in the Texas Hill Country.

My longest trip so far was a few years ago when I rode to Hyder, Alaska, and through some of the really good stuff in the US Rockies as well. It was about 6,000 miles.

In two years, I've got a 20,000 mile trip planned. Alaska, thd Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Labrador, Newfoundland.

I like long distances and long days. I usually start riding between 8-9 AM and ride till 7-8 PM. Depending on where I am, I can count on 5-700 miles a day. If I'm out for several days of consecutive riding, I'll throw in a short day every now and then. I tend not to stop for attractions -- although I'll make an exception for a good aviation museum and need to start hitting motorcycle museums.

I eat fruit and energy bars as I ride, but always have breakfast and a good meal in the evening. I am not a dedicated camper, but will probably spend a good number of nights camping on my Epic Post-Retirement Ride in 2013. I won't cook (after all, I have my principles and my pride).

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
how fast do you normally drive to make 5-700 miles a day? And yes I will most definitely be hitting the blue ridge parkway. I lived in Ashville NC some years back and love the roads around there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
how fast do you normally drive to make 5-700 miles a day? And yes I will most definitely be hitting the blue ridge parkway. I lived in Ashville NC some years back and love the roads around there.
Well, I tend to run 3-5 mph over the limit. I sure didn't make any 5-700 miles a day on the BRP. I got on at the Shenandoah Skyway in Front Royal, got off and spent the night in Roanake. That might have been 230 miles and it took me a solid 8-9 hours. I stopped a few times but never for long.

Probably can't make 700-mile days back in your part of the country. But out here, on Interstates and many of the state and US two-lanes, they are do-able.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Some day, after I win the lottery:rofl1:, I would like to travel the country riding on nothing but 2 lane roads.

Can you tell I just finished watching "Then came Bronson"? LOL.
Go to Adventure Cycling.com You will get all the two lane roads you need to get you anywhere in the US. I use their maps all the time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Another thought or two about big-mileage days: It's not really about speed. It's about riding steadily and not stopping for long. Bike comfort is essential. If you don't fit your bike so that you can sit on it for a long time, you won't get big miles.

A Saddle Sore 1000 is just under a 42 mph average. A Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) is a 62.5 average. Obviously on a BBG, you won't get a chance to eat leisurely meals, but if you knock off 200 miles, gas, gulp, whiz, and go, in ten minutes, you'll be able to do it if you average 66 mph moving. I know one guy who did a BBG almost entirely on two-lane; he may have had 50 miles on an interstate. He was on a Concours, which can get 250-260 miles on a tank pretty easily, so he only five gas stops, which meant his average could be a couple mph lower.

So steadiness is worth a lot.

So is hydration. If you're not drinking, your mind will not stay sharp.

If you get bored easily, long days probably aren't for you. A lot of folks have music; I rarely do.

And knowing when to stop, even if your goal isn't that far away, but your attention, focus, and energy are ebbing faster than your distance remaining, is vital to doing big days safely.

I've had days when I could have ridden a lot of miles, and others when I don't have any business on the bike for more than a few miles.

Back when I was flying, my Dad, who was a professional pilot, told me a couple of things about flying small planes in Visual meterological conditions. One was, "If you've got time to spare, go by air." Another was, "Nobody ever absolutely ever HAS be anywhere right now."

NHR

If i can get the time away from work i would love to go explore the outer banks. There are some great small towns, good people, great food and a lot to explore

lerickso

Good post.

My dreams will start this next week. On a whim, I sent my brother-in-law and email saying: let's do a cycle trip. That's what started it.

He is from CA and will be driving 1,000 East. I am from WI and will be driving 1,000 miles West. We will be meeting in Livingston, MT and then driving together for a few days through Yellowstone.

The adventure starts this Thursday and will most likely be an 8 day trip in total.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE DREAMED OF DOING FOR SOOOOOOO LONG AND NOW IT'S HAPPENING!

Loren

siyeh

My son Josh and I leave for a three weeker on June 28th. He wants to see Hyder Alaska. I just wanna ride 9000 miles.
I do not own an NT700v yet but it is on the radar. Josh will be on a Honda VTX 1800 and the old man will be on this Versys.

Right now our plan is 5 days in Colorado then shoot north. That's it. See where the road takes us. My son is a "biker" and he want's to become a "rider". If he runs much with me I think I can arrange that. I love getting around a bit. If you have a half hour to kill and it's raining outside, here are a couple little rides I did.

Alaska
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200992&highlight=balou

Out West
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5473

I think the NT will fit my riding style perfect.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Good post.

My dreams will start this next week. On a whim, I sent my brother-in-law and email saying: let's do a cycle trip. That's what started it.

He is from CA and will be driving 1,000 East. I am from WI and will be driving 1,000 miles West. We will be meeting in Livingston, MT and then driving together for a few days through Yellowstone.

The adventure starts this Thursday and will most likely be an 8 day trip in total.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE DREAMED OF DOING FOR SOOOOOOO LONG AND NOW IT'S HAPPENING!

Loren
Congratulations on making a dream come true! Prepare to have your mind blown! Try to get a ride on Chief Joseph Highway (or maybe -- it it's open) Beartooth ... or both.

Top Bottom