Honda Sales Skills

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I noticed last night that the Honda dealer in Fort Collins is back open and since their website said they had an '11 NT and since I needed to go through Ault (14 miles east on CO-14), I went to Ft Collins on my way back from a Denver meeting today. They didn't have an NT, but they said they had sold two in one week week before last and that they could get another '11 in short order.

This is the place where I took my first ride on one of those old slow red '10s. They had an ABS bike in the crate and I would have bought it if they'd made any kind of deal. They were willing to come a whoppin' $300 off MRRP and give me 10% off of any accessories I bought when I bought the bike. I told 'em I'd think about it and called them back two weeks later. No, the kid said, they hadn't sold the bike yet, but the deal they'd given me was the best deal I was going to find. Would I be over to pick the bike up that day or the next?

I went to Sun Honda in Denver, got $1300 off of MSRP and 30% off anything I ordered from them in the first year.

So, today, I asked the kid salesman if they were going to get any more NTs any time soon. "Probably not," he said, "They're pretty hard bikes to sell." (I didn't point out that he had sold two in one week week before last.)

"And anyway," he said, "We're waiting for the new Dual-Sport that'll be here in June...that NC700 Honda's building to go after the KLR market. Honda's been wanting to crack that demographic." I asked him what he knew about the NC and he said (again), "It's going to get KLR buyers." I ended the conversation.

The upside of my visit was that I met the entire motor patrol force of the Loveland PD. I was a chaplain for them 17 years ago when I lived in Loveland. While I was getting off the bike, two of them came out to look at the NT. When we went in, the 3rd one was standing there and he and I remembered each other. He'd been a patrol officer when I'd been a chaplain in Loveland. He's on an ST1300 and was there buying a new battery for it. The other two officers were riding police Concours 14s. The kid asked them if they were souped-up for motor patrol work. The officer said, "Well, no. With 138 rwhp and 85 ft/lbs of torque, they don't need much souping up."

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
With the "churn" at most dealerships, in Sales and Parts, I am pleasantly surprised if the "Sales Person" doesn't ask if I want fries with that order.....:rolleyes1:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
LOL! When I worked in the oilfield, one of our company's products was downhole stabilizers. Ours were more expensive than the previously most widely used types, but offered tremendous performance advantages. As we were the dominant players in the deep drilling applications in south Texas and along the Gulf Coast (15-20,000 foot plus wells), we cost our competitors a lot of business.

One of them hired women "sales" people. The rumor was that they sold stabilizers by emphasizing a different kind of performance than we did. Before too long, people who chose to use their stabilizers were losing their jobs because of problems with drilling straight holes and problems with spending too much money to get their wells to completion.

Women have a legitimate place in any industry. Being smoking hot doesn't preclude their ability to perform well at any task, but it sure doesn't guarantee it!

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
When I check the 5 local Honda dealers, all are pretty small and need all sales they can make to stay in business, I find it strange that they have all sold their 2 or 3 NT's that they had, but say they are not re-ordering because they don't sell. I look around and I see the same cruisers that have been sitting there for 2+ years. Looks to me like the NT sold pretty good, 100%, compared to the cruisers, but they have in their mind that cruisers are the only thing that sells?????
They also don't seem to realize that the 50+ year old that the NT seems to appeal to, are the ones who are able to walk in and purchase with cash, or get a low interest loan easily. And we farkle like crazy!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In the US motorcycle sales have fallen dramatically in the last several years. The baby boom generation was driving the business and cruisers were their prefered type of bike. With sales so far off I don't think the dealers or the manufactures know what the future will be so they still hold on to what they know from the past. I have a feeling the motorcyle market going forward in the next 5-10 years will be far different than what it has been in the past with overseas markets driving most of the growth. I think North America will have to be content that we are no longer leading the growth in the industry and markets like India and Chiana will determine manufactures designs and choices.

By the way when I bought my NT the salesman, a mature fellow, did not know squat about it. It was clear to me after spending only a moderate amount of time researching the NT that I knew far more than he did. He was a nice guy though and I still bought my NT from him and he says hi to me when I visit the dealership and asks how I am likeing the NT.

1fastbob

My big problem with buying new bikes is that many dealers will not allow test rides on brand new bikes. I understand if they only have 1 or 2 bikes of a certain model they do not want miles put on them so that the new buyer gets a brand new bike with no miles, but this makes it hard to decide if a bike fits your needs and / or if you like the way it rides.
I purchased a new BMW 650 Dakar several years ago and was unable to take it for a test ride. I should NOT have bought it as it was way too tall for me and had very little protection from the wind. I was able to take my new to me NT for a ride and that is why I purchased it. I just plain liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Some people and most young people need to learn customer service skills, And the approach varies with who the customer is. For instance. A young sales person at a dealer in the People's Republik of Boulder, greets me with "what ya up to." instead of "may I help you?", or "Sir do you need any assistance" I get a bit ............ I then tried to explain how he could improve his customer service and he basically told me go fly a kite. (aka go f y s) So I left and will never go back in there again. There prices on every thing were also too high.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In the US motorcycle sales have fallen dramatically in the last several years. The baby boom generation was driving the business and cruisers were their prefered type of bike. With sales so far off I don't think the dealers or the manufactures know what the future will be so they still hold on to what they know from the past. I have a feeling the motorcyle market going forward in the next 5-10 years will be far different than what it has been in the past with overseas markets driving most of the growth. I think North America will have to be content that we are no longer leading the growth in the industry and markets like India and Chiana will determine manufactures designs and choices.

By the way when I bought my NT the salesman, a mature fellow, did not know squat about it. It was clear to me after spending only a moderate amount of time researching the NT that I knew far more than he did. He was a nice guy though and I still bought my NT from him and he says hi to me when I visit the dealership and asks how I am likeing the NT.
Well written and all true. I dont think anyone can predict where the US market will go next, if anywhere. Us baby boomers drove the market for years...we had nostalgia, we had money to spend..we bought Goldwings and Harleys and Sport tourers. But where are the hoards of kids who should be buying boatloads of bikes like we did in the 1970s? They are not that interested....sure, there are some....but how many will continue to ride into their 60s.? I would only add to Warren's remarks that Europe is still a force if the price of gas stays where it is. If gas were $10 a gallon here, I would be riding my bike much more than driving when I could. And if I wasnt quite sure if I wanted to ride for practicality, a bike like the NC700 and its high milage might put me over the edge for purchase. I would enjoy hearing from our Euro folk if they think this is true or not.

I wish I had a nickel for every salesperson that said to me, "Looks like you know way more about this bike than I do."

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Well written and all true. I dont think anyone can predict where the US market will go next, if anywhere. Us baby boomers drove the market for years...we had nostalgia, we had money to spend..we bought Goldwings and Harleys and Sport tourers. But where are the hoards of kids who should be buying boatloads of bikes like we did in the 1970s? They are not that interested....sure, there are some....but how many will continue to ride into their 60s.? I would only add to Warren's remarks that Europe is still a force if the price of gas stays where it is. If gas were $10 a gallon here, I would be riding my bike much more than driving when I could. And if I wasnt quite sure if I wanted to ride for practicality, a bike like the NC700 and its high milage might put me over the edge for purchase. I would enjoy hearing from our Euro folk if they think this is true or not.

I wish I had a nickel for every salesperson that said to me, "Looks like you know way more about this bike than I do."
If gas were $10 a gallon here I would be riding my bicycle and park the motorcycles. I have already parked my cages. In the last three years I have only driven my Durango about 8k miles. Too expensive to operate except when I have to pull something or haul a bunch of people or STuff.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

I have ridden motorcycles most of my adult life. My chrildren have been around motorcycycles most of their lives and yet my 25 year old son has no interest. He does not even want to be a passenger on my bike because he says its too dangerous. The way he drives his car I think he has made the correct decision to stay off bikes :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
When I bought my '09 Yamaha Majesty and when I bought the '10 NT, I told both salesmen the same thing, "I'm your worst nightmare. An old guy with cash who doesn't really care if I buy this bike or not." I already had a motorcycle, and just wanted something different. I let them know that I had researched the Yamaha and Honda EXTENSIVELY and didn't need a sales pitch. Just let me take a test ride, give me an Out The Door Price that we could both live with THE FIRST TIME. I don't haggle. If the price is too far out of line, I'll ride home on the same bike I rode in on.
That works when buying cars also. I find out what the dealerships pay, add $500 and tax, tag and title fees. Any rebates come off the original cost and go to the dealer. I write down my offer on a sheet of paper, along with my name and phone number. After a test drive, I give the paper to the salesman and tell him, "I'll write you a check today, or give me a call tomorrow. After that, just throw the paper away." It only takes an hour or so to buy a new bike or car. I do not put up with the offer, counter offer, counter counter offer, "I have to clear this with the sales manager" crap. I just stand up and walk away.
NEVER fall in love with a car or bike before you try to buy it. They're just metal, plastic and rubber. Unlike women, who are each unique, they are all the same and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of them out there. I already have friends, and the salesman and I are never going to become pen pals.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
My local Honda dealer here in Australia had a second hand 2007 model NT700V and a new 2008 model NT700V on the showroom floor. The new one was $10,990 and the second hand one with about 50,000km's on it was $8,500 (it had plenty of farkles)

I could not ride the new one as it had no battery or per-service done and I was not interested in the second hand one at the asking price (which was not negotiable at the time)

I ended up waiting almost 2 more years until I found the "right bike".

The salesman has always been a pleasure to deal with and always greets me by name when I call in for parts or accessories

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The H-D Honda dealership in Augusta really has its act together. The staff all seem to know their products. You can tell right away that this is a very professional dealership. You are immediately greeted at the door by a very attractive young lady. She runs the cash register and sells the wallets, belt buckles, gloves , clothing, and helmets. She knows a lot about what is good and what is not. She directs you to the counter with the coffee. Each type of machine has its own salesperson--Cruisers, Sport Bikes, Sport Touring, and the Can-Am Trike. These people either go to school or read a lot. It's a dealership that feels comfortable. The Harley and Honda people all get along. There is a nice deck with chairs, and people lounge and visit. I always stop there for coffee on the way home from the VA.

Bike
Bonneville T120
In the US motorcycle sales have fallen dramatically in the last several years.
Not all motorcycle brands. Here in the US. Triumph has been growing steadily throughout the recession. Some of this is because they are adding dealership, which is a good thing. Triumph is not on top, they're hungry and want a bigger piece of the pie. Consequently they are offering a pretty good range of motorcycles, not as many as the Japanese or HD, but they have something for everyone. Also, their quality is way up there. A friend who works at a HD dealership in Ohio tells me that HD sees their nearest competitor to be Triumph because of stagnation in the cruiser lineup from the Japanese manufacturers.

My local Honda/Kawasaki/Kymco dealer is adding Triumph. There should be bikes in the shop within a month. However, Triumph won't ship a bike until a service tech from the dealership is enrolled in there mechanics school in Atlanta. Next one starts May 7. Bangor Motor Sports is making a huge commitment. Triumph requires they purchase at least 30 bikes (a lot for a new venture in northern New England) plus a ton of accessories and clothing and don't forget signage and displays. I'll bet they've put out over $300 grand to get up and going, in this economy. But they are very up beat and positive about the whole thing. They've got some selling to do, but they've got a great product.

Their sales staff is young but outgoing and helpful. You always get a professional greeting shortly after you walk in. Their service department is a joy to deal with and you're always treated fairly. I went in once and they didn't have a necessary part on the shelf, so the took it out of a bike on the showroom, fixed my bike and ordered one for their bike. Truly wonderful people to do business with.

When I enter other local dealerships it always seems like I'm dealing with teenagers, even if they are older than me.

I'm very fortunate to deal with Bangor Motor Sports.

Madmax

My Honda dealer didn't know a thing about a NT. He had two 2010's in the showroom, because he said he had to take them. As I was looking them over he told me I could have my choice for 8K . When I told him I'd think about it, he said he would also give me 30% off on any accesoriies. I bought the faster RED one and the Silver one is still there.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Arron,
My experience at Trisports has been okay and I haven't bought anything there except one pair of gloves. Alex and I stopped in there last fall on the rainy "mini rally" ride. They treated us to coffee and donuts. I went in during the winter to check out the Guzzi R7 and they had none. The owner, Hank Swenson, spent 15 or 20 minutes chatting with me.

Steveo

4,647 posts.....and the kids are too busy social networking!?!?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
4,647 posts.....and the kids are too busy social networking!?!?
+1 Too funny... :D

But in fairness you need to deduct about a thousand posts from all the Moderators post counts... We all try to Welcome new members and that runs up our post tallies a bit... Hey, wait a minute, Phil and Rick would still be double my post count after that 1K deduction so you may be on to something... :D

tawilke46

My daughter and I visited a local Honda dealership in Tampa. While my daughter was talking to salesman she knew, I was strolling around the showroom, stopping to look at a NT700.
Along came a very young (maybe 17 or 18) salesperson. She asked me if she could help me. I told her I was interested in buying a NT sometime in the near future (this was last June). I asked her some questions about the bike and it was obvious she knew nothing about the NT. I proceeded to tell her all I knew about the NT from my research on the bike. She told me I should be working there selling motorcycles!
No one there could tell me how to adjust the windshield.

Top Bottom