Honda Sales Skills

All I know is that if I owned a dealership, somebody would know something about every bike I had on the floor. Including old used bikes. Info is not that hard to find. If they couldn't memorize it, they could print fact sheets.

And about the social networking -- this is basically all of mine. I hate Facebook; I ain't gonna' tweet; and the COG List no longer has the attraction that it once did. I do scan the LD Riders List but don't respond anywhere near as much as I do here.

Rick and I are just OCD with an NT focus.

THe Local Honda dealers had an open house this past weekend....THe dealer I bought my NT from ,Nault's Honda in Manchester NH, put out quite a spread, they even advertised a little. The other dealer, Best Honda, didn't even answer the phone when I called to see about an oil change that day. I caution everyone doing internet shopping for a price on an NT; research the dealer thoroughly. Locally Best Honda has a bad reputation, but folks shopping for price on leftover inventory might be loured in. The subterfuge doesn't last and once you get there you;ll realize the place is a trap. BUT you'll have wasted your time and Gas getting there!

Oh , has anyone heard of a Honda demo truck for 2012?? That VFR is interesting....

I started in computers, back in the 80's, using BASIC on a Radio Shack TRS-80, fondly called a TRASH-80, with a cassette tape drive to store my "programs"...
1980 TI 99/4A. 16k of memory on the board with a 32K expansion box. Programs and data stored on a cassette recorder. Learned to program in BASIC and Extended BASIC because TI dropped all production and support around 1982. If you wanted the computer to do something, you wrote your own programs.
To this day, when Windows refuses to do something, I EXIT or boot to the drive and go from the command prompt. All of my computers have DOS 6 on them, just in case.
CHKDSK /F, msconfig and ping 192.168.0.1 are my best friends.

I wrote a JIT Stock control program on the ZX81 (called the Timex something or other in the US) with 16K Ram pack and tape drive. Even sold one to Dunlop!

My local Honda Dealer, Outsider, here in Montlhery, France is really good and bends over backwards to help. I can highly recommend them if you're over this way.

Following up on the early computer aspect that's snuck into this thread: In 1957, after leaving the Scout Jamboree at Valley Forge, our group of Scouts from the Florida Panhandle and SE Alabama rode our buses to NYC. One of the highlights (in retrospect) of our trip had been arranged by my scoutmaster, an early geek. It was a visit to the New York Life Insurance building to see their Univac, supposedly one of the two largest computers in the world at the time. The other one was underneath the Pentagon and was another Univac.

It was in a climate-controlled (temp and humidity)room, suspended against shock, operated by technicians in paper gowns and booties, wearing gloves to keep from contaminating it and its interface with the world was entirely through punch cards. I'm sure this little ASUS netbook has way more computing power.

But the Univac was more expensive.

I wrote a JIT Stock control program on the ZX81 (called the Timex something or other in the US) with 16K Ram pack and tape drive.

Timex here was the first "home" computer to have a "Flight Simulator" Program... Just a crooked line for bank angle but it did more than my Trash-80....

All this talk of early "computers" reminded me that I started programing I used to use my Slide Rule to confirm the computer's solutions....and it was quicker. I need to find my slide rule...it don't need no stinkin' mouse!

I started my computing with a Franklin Ace 1000. It had a whoppin' 64K of RAM, and came with a single 48K 5.25" floppy disk drive. I paid $1800 for it and a Panasonic KXP-1090 dot-matrix printer. I got it because it came with word-processing (not very good), spreadsheet (a version of Visi-calc) and "data-base" software. I can't remember what it was called, but that was one of my favorite programs ever!

The data-base program gave you something like 1000 characters to be spread between up to 16 fields. You could search through any of the fields and rank-order them and I found it a very useful way to manipulate data. I'm sure that Access is more powerful, but that's just precisely my problem with it: it's more powerful and I haven't had the time to spend learning how to use it and haven't had access (unintentional pun) to a course to teach me how to use it.

I replaced Franklin's word-processing program with a program called Letter Perfect and was in hog heaven. In the little town of Limon, CO, I was the first person to have a personal computer. Most people called my computer my "word processor."

One morning after I had gotten it, I got a call from my predecessor at the church who had just heard about my new acquisition. He wanted me to tell him about. So I did and then there was a looooonnnngggg silence. I asked him what else he wanted to know about it and he said, "mmmmmmmmmmm....well........... how do all the words get 'in there?'"

He was terribly disappointed when I told him I had to type them in all by myself.

I remember getting a tour of the SAGE Building at Hancock AFB. It was a part of NORAD. The building was a huge concrete multi floor monstrosity with no windows. It had floors and floors of racks with tubes that glowed in the subdued light. I surmised that this array was the computer which fed a room full of RADAR Display units. A laptop can do all of that now. The building is still there but I have no clue as to what it is used for. Hancock Field is now a NYANG Base.

Getting back to Naults Honda--yes-absolutely Top Shelf.

What happened to Honda sales????

:D Same thing as this thread...they wandered way off the target and were lost. While that is a common fate for a thread here it is bad news at a company without any Mods or Admins to realign the problem.... So:

Okay folks lets get back on subject and discuss either the lack of Honda Sales skills, or better yet, point out the good places you have found where they have them!

OK, here goes.

I had very good service and results from my dealer, Honda of Houston in Houston, TX. I made several visits while in "search mode" and seemed to always gravitate toward the ST, with which I was familiar, and the NT which looked nice but was unfamiliar. I spent what must have been 4 to 6 hours conversing with one particular salesman about my experience, riding style, goals etc. I had basically convinced myself to try the ST but showed real concern over handling the weight. I was moving from a 400 lb bike to a 750 lb bike. AJ 9saleman) suggested I test ride the NT. They had one set for that. It had about 700 miles on it so others were trying it out, too. After an hour on several road types. from freeway to parking lot, I was convinced and bought the NT. Almost every one in the place strongly suggested their maintenance agreement. I was skeptical of that, as I usually am about such things. Bought that too and I have recouped the purchase price wit two years to run (I hope they will sell me another).

Quality shop and good people who I have no trublr recommending.

OK, here goes.

I had very good service and results from my dealer, Honda of Houston in Houston, TX. I made several visits while in "search mode" and seemed to always gravitate toward the ST, with which I was familiar, and the NT which looked nice but was unfamiliar. I spent what must have been 4 to 6 hours conversing with one particular salesman about my experience, riding style, goals etc. I had basically convinced myself to try the ST but showed real concern over handling the weight. I was moving from a 400 lb bike to a 750 lb bike. AJ 9saleman) suggested I test ride the NT. They had one set for that. It had about 700 miles on it so others were trying it out, too. After an hour on several road types. from freeway to parking lot, I was convinced and bought the NT. Almost every one in the place strongly suggested their maintenance agreement. I was skeptical of that, as I usually am about such things. Bought that too and I have recouped the purchase price wit two years to run (I hope they will sell me another).

Quality shop and good people who I have no trublr recommending.
I have to wonder, looking at those two bikes alone, what I would have done if Honda offered a reasonably light ST900 with easy to get off valve covers and screw ajusters or hydrolic ajusters. For me, the up front price of the ST, its insurance costs, heavy weight, way too much HP, and high maintenance costs made the decision easy. May I ask what they charged you for the maintenance agreement and how long it runs?

Back
Top Bottom