10th Nat'l
NT Rally

Spearfish, SD

Date:
June 24-27, 2020
Wed thru Sat

Hotel:
Some are using Bell's
however, the main event is at the campground.

Camping:
Chris' Campground
Rate: $13 per person per night (This needs to be confirmed as this was last year's rate)

Just an update, we should be in sites 88-96.

Sometime after the beginning of 2019,
Please call (605-642-2239) or email (chriscampground@gmail.com) to let them know how many are coming please provide
# of people in your group
# of tents
Special needs such as electricity
vehicle i.e. bike, RV, bike w/trailer etc.
Mention the ST/NT Rally

Please bring cash, check or travelers checks - they do not take credit cards.

Agenda
(No Agenda this year, just show up)

Chris' Campground Map

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It's such a long ride across the boring plains to get there and then there is the wind and rain to contend with. I'm old and those long trips are hard on me.

Of course I'll be there. Thanks for planning - I know it keeps you up at nights worrying about all us campers and pseudo campers.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It's such a long ride across the boring plains to get there and then there is the wind and rain to contend with. I'm old and those long trips are hard on me.

Of course I'll be there. Thanks for planning - I know it keeps you up at nights worrying about all us campers and pseudo campers.
LOL.. don't I have further to go than you? I'm hoping one week later is the sweet spot between wet/windy June and Hot/humid July.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I was thinking last summer about attending 2019 meeting, until last fall decided to start our journey of building a new house. so now I will put 2020 on the "might" attend agenda. I will ride spyder, and then there will be 2 if Rick shows up with his again. I was thru the area for first time last year on spyder just a week before 2018 rally. loved the black hills area, and need to visit again.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I was thinking last summer about attending 2019 meeting, until last fall decided to start our journey of building a new house. so now I will put 2020 on the "might" attend agenda. I will ride spyder, and then there will be 2 if Rick shows up with his again. I was thru the area for first time last year on spyder just a week before 2018 rally. loved the black hills area, and need to visit again.
The rally really is a whole lot of fun...lots of very interesting people to talk with and just hang out....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Rats. Ouch. Frosty has informed me that fathers day in 2020 is June 21st. That is always the last day of Quigley. And this coming year I am going to shoot quigley. Its 2, 400 mile days from Spokane to Spearfish. So, If I get home by the end of the day on Monday from Quigley and spend at least Tuesday watering the lawn, etc, I can get underway Wednesday at the earliest. But more like Thursday. You may not see me at the rally. There are other options. I can shoot one day and maybe not the other, etc. Tough choices. :(

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I was excited to learn that the 2020 MOA (BMW) National Rally is going to be at Great Falls, MT. Not so good is that it is Jun 25 - 28.
Lunch road trip 500 miles one way too far. :unsure: Doh!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I'm not going to cancel this event... but I won't be there.

I'm in great shape, no underlying health issues at all, I drink so little that most of you probably spill more than I drink and I don't smoke or do any type of drugs.
AND I'M NOT WILLING TO RISK THAT.

That being said, everyone can choose to do what they feel comfortable with however, I prefer to wait and see how things unfold. Many here that I've met do have some type of underlying health issues ranging from asthma, diabetes, heart conditions, etc... some of you smoke. I would like to see all of you, regardless of those issues, again and so I urge you to consider those factors and decide for yourself what risks you're willing to take... and expose your family to. I love riding... but I love living even more and I'm okay with taking a break and riding again in the future vs the alternative.

As for the event, it doesn't change things much... there weren't going to be any giveaways this year as the finances just were there to cover them and as for the pizza night, folks can get together and do that on their own once they see how many show up.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't think I'm ready to spend time in motels and I'm sure not ready to camp. I'll wait for awhile...I think. I will trust guidance from reputable authorities. Next year in Spearfish!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I dont blame anyone for chosing to stay at home and be safe. Wish we all could get serum tests cause I have a feeling many of us have already "had" it after what they found in the random tests in LA and elsewhere. But those(new, reliable, accurate) serum tests are a ways out.

Personally, while this pandemic is sad, and grave, and social distancing is important, I think the media is using hysteria for their own uses. "We have just passed the 83,961 death barrier!" Really? What barrier? No one cared when 30,000 old people died a year due to the flu...only half the population got flu shots....if we didnt have those shots, how many would have died then? Would they have shut down the country?

I intend to show up if anyone else I care about does...and see the Rockies on the way home, mostly camping (I hope) .. Now that Quigley is canceled, I can show up at the normal time. I would imagine that there is some sort of risk in staying at a motel or two along the way. A super spreader could have been the last occupant in the room (this desease, Covid, is very dependant on "viral load". Get a small load and you will do very well in squashing it. Get a big load and all bets are off.) There was one super spreader in WA and one in NY and one in Korea. I am sure there were more.
Yes, it is possible even during the time frame of the Rally that getting food may be take out. I dont care.
Right now, in Wyoming, no one has died since April. There have been 5 deaths total in Wyoming. The projected total by Aug 1 is 5. These are just numbers from a model, but show me the piles of dead people from Wyoming.

South Dakota will have one death per day during the rally. They have meat packing plants.

68 people got sick enough in North Idaho to get tested and were positive. No one died. Over a period of 3 months.
I personally feel the real world death rate of this virus is very low. That the serum tests have proven the actual number who have had the desease to this point could well be 50 million.
I am not going to stay home cause I might get hit by a drunk driver or a texter either.
I have precious few riding seasons left in my life. I am not going to give this one up.
If you are coming, let me know.
If this pandemic spikes again due to idiots taking their whole unmasked families including grandma to Walmart, then we can change our minds.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
If this pandemic spikes again due to idiots taking their whole unmasked families including grandma to Walmart, then we can change our minds.
There is no shortage of idiots around, that is certain. What isn't certain is our future. I'm on the "last minute decision" plan for Spearfish. I'd really like to go, but I don't want to be stupid either. Things change fast these days. I'm happy camping in my tent, but there are the required bathroom stops and getting food and water plus gas stops too. We never know who we follow into those places. This might inspire me to carry food on my bike and do some cooking. I usually avoid that to discourage the bears and coons who live off campground snacks. I suspect travel activity will pick up in the summer and if I think the risk it too high I'll stay home. But I don't see a lot of people on the rural roads I travel, but I'll have to put a foot down a time or two in St Cloud MN cause there is no good way to miss it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If the numbers look good and if motels are open in Spearfish (and the Rockies) I might decide to go to Spearfish. But it will be a decision that I won't make until just a few days before the Rally.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If the numbers look good and if motels are open
There is a concern. Mom and Pop motels are something I'm going to avoid. They don't have the the staff, and procedures, the big chain hotels have put in place. I suspect the average room in a major hotel chain is going to be a lot cleaner and safer than a room in a motel. There will be exceptions, both ways, but I'll be betting on big hotels with deep pockets as they have a lot more to lose than a local no tell motel.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Still planning to go. I will camp there and possibly overnight in motels along the way. Too early to tell. I certainly support everyone's personal decisions to keep themselves safe. I like to have something to look forward to. If you are not able to do Spearfish, maybe a less ambitious trip may be beneficial. This is an interesting article that seems to explain some of that. I hope it helps. 😷

https://elemental.medium.com/its-time-to-learn-how-to-microdose-anticipation-10cb6250a663

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
There is no shortage of idiots around, that is certain. What isn't certain is our future. I'm on the "last minute decision" plan for Spearfish. I'd really like to go, but I don't want to be stupid either. Things change fast these days. I'm happy camping in my tent, but there are the required bathroom stops and getting food and water plus gas stops too. We never know who we follow into those places. This might inspire me to carry food on my bike and do some cooking. I usually avoid that to discourage the bears and coons who live off campground snacks. I suspect travel activity will pick up in the summer and if I think the risk it too high I'll stay home. But I don't see a lot of people on the rural roads I travel, but I'll have to put a foot down a time or two in St Cloud MN cause there is no good way to miss it.
Let me know as things progress what your thoughts are, Jim. Like I say, I dont hold staying home against anyone. Unless the infection rate/death rate changes drastically, I am going touring.
I am going to be as careful as I can, for sure, but I am going.
a awisdom.jpg

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
One interesting update. A number of us have been following the Swedish experiment where a small monocultural society has decided to not shut their country down but to act responsibly as a nation. The original model projections showed 20,000 dead and more, in a country 32 times smaller than the US. While our total deaths keep going up in the models, theirs keep going down. They are now down to 5,000 and falling in the models. Can this help explain why Wyoming and MT are doing so well? And why NY, Chicago and parts of TX are doing so pourly?

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
My plan is still to make it to Spearfish, depending not on viral concerns, but the status of my home sale. We just listed our 11 year residence in Albuquerque last week. Moving full time to our piece of heaven in the western NM mountains.

Social distancing? Our nearest cabin neighbor is a half mile away. Even though we are in the “hot spot” county for viral infections in NM, they are confined mostly to the Navajo reservation, where social distancing and running water are rare to non existent.

Most importantly, I am strongly confident that I had Covid in mid January. I was sick for several weeks, and urgent care ruled out influenza. Antibiotics and a dose of prednisone and I recovered with no lasting effects. Waiting for an affordable and accurate antibody test for confirmation. My situation may offer hope for other 73 year olds with underlying health conditions.

Seems there were 700,000 tourists from mainland China that arrived in the USA during December and January prior to flight shutdown. The tourists fanned out across the country along I-40 directly through my neighborhood. Easy peasy viral spread in retrospect.

So the bottom line is I will be there, unless I am loading a U-Haul. Hope to see a few other brave old farts to celebrate life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Camping and take out meals suit me fine. Who knows? We might even grill some meat over a campfire! See you there.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My plan is still to make it to Spearfish, depending not on viral concerns, but the status of my home sale. We just listed our 11 year residence in Albuquerque last week. Moving full time to our piece of heaven in the western NM mountains.

Social distancing? Our nearest cabin neighbor is a half mile away. Even though we are in the “hot spot” county for viral infections in NM, they are confined mostly to the Navajo reservation, where social distancing and running water are rare to non existent.

Most importantly, I am strongly confident that I had Covid in mid January. I was sick for several weeks, and urgent care ruled out influenza. Antibiotics and a dose of prednisone and I recovered with no lasting effects. Waiting for an affordable and accurate antibody test for confirmation. My situation may offer hope for other 73 year olds with underlying health conditions.

Seems there were 700,000 tourists from mainland China that arrived in the USA during December and January prior to flight shutdown. The tourists fanned out across the country along I-40 directly through my neighborhood. Easy peasy viral spread in retrospect.

So the bottom line is I will be there, unless I am loading a U-Haul. Hope to see a few other brave old farts to celebrate life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Camping and take out meals suit me fine. Who knows? We might even grill some meat over a campfire! See you there.
Yoda, I would love to see you. In fact, if no one else came to the rally but you, it would be worth going just to see you. Then heading west through Buffalo, Cody, etc. That is my plan, actually. If no one wants or cant go to the rally, I will just go to Wyoming, which is open...if you come, then we go and sit and talk under the shelter at Spearfish. I will see if I can figure out personal messages here and send you my contact info.
Of course, if you sell your house, then I understand you not making it.
Like you, I think I had it. I got off a cruise ship on January 23rd and felt find. For some reason I cant explain, I didnt wear a mask on the flights home from Ft Lauderdale to Spokane. 4 days later I was coughing a dry cough that wouldnt go away. I took a Z pack which is the standard treatment for my COPD Viral flairups and it went away in four days but my wife got it an it wouldnt go away. So she took a Z pack and it went away in four days. Please dont tell me antibiotics dont work on viruses cause I have proven with my doc over 10 years of flairups that they do. They fire up the immune system and are a known treatment for Cov19. Would love to get the antibody tests.

It is interesting that in 2009, April, A pandemic hit the US. A novel virus. We came up with a vaccine in about 5-6 months. 60 million Americans got sick but only 24,000 died...the rest of the world fared worse.
100,000 to 500,000 died.
You know what I did?
I went to Oshkosh fly in, Reno air races, I went to Wyoming.... I flew to Lake placid for an international skating event. Wife and I went to Helena. There was no news hysteria. It was yet another novel flu virus, just like 1959 and 1968...we lost 100s of thousands of people in those two and many 100s of thousands of people in the flu years after....only half of the US citizens even bother to get flu shots. I understand caution and intellegent social distancing....I dont understand this news hysteria. Will send you a message. Chris (Thanks for the info on the Arizona deaths. I have heard Indians are so packed into existing houses without running water that the spread is aweful)
Tha

Top Bottom