10th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 24-27, 2020 - Spearfish, SD

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Made my reservation for 3 nights at Spearfish....very nice people, very nice place. I didnt know the eateries (I cant spell restaurants) were open already. (South Dakota is marching along with 2 deaths a day and will be at one by the time we get there. I think if we stay away from meat packing plants and first nations reservations we shall be much safer than going to Walmart in Spokane. The county of Lawrence, SD that contains Spearfish has had 9 cases, 9 recoveries, and no deaths.
Are you gonna be at Bell's?

Mike

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Yes. Chris and I made camping reservations at Chris Campground. It will be $13/ night. Last year I planned to use one of their camping cabins, but cancelled the trip. Kind of 1/2 way between camping and motel. Electricity and A/C, but bring sleeping bag and no toilet.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Specifically, Wed, Thurs, Fri, at Chris' Campground?????
Correct. Will be at the Buffalo Super 8 on the night before and the night after....then off to what is open....Cody, Beartooth, whatever.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Maybe Frosty can don stealth gear, paint his bike flat black, then make a mad dash under cover of darkness across the border & back at WFO? :)

ps. a 14-day stay in a hotel or a $1000 fine would far exceed the shipping costs!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Maybe Frosty can don stealth gear, paint his bike flat black, then make a mad dash under cover of darkness across the border & back at WFO? :)

ps. a 14-day stay in a hotel or a $1000 fine would far exceed the shipping costs!
I am afraid to make a dash over the border for cheep tequilla! :LOL:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just confirmed a reservation at Bell's Motor Lodge Motel in Spearfish. They're under new owners and have done some upgrading over the winter before opening May 1. The new owner told me that Spearfish is open with plenty of places to eat and seems to to be doing well. I'm planning on having Mike Simmons as a roommate, although his plans aren't 100% yet.

I'm also thinking that after Spearfish, I'll go west (maybe to Buffalo), and then ride the passes in the Wind River range before hitting Beartooth and Chief Joseph and then coming home to Colorado.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I just confirmed a reservation at Bell's Motor Lodge Motel in Spearfish. They're under new owners and have done some upgrading over the winter before opening May 1. The new owner told me that Spearfish is open with plenty of places to eat and seems to to be doing well. I'm planning on having Mike Simmons as a roommate, although his plans aren't 100% yet.

I'm also thinking that after Spearfish, I'll go west (maybe to Buffalo), and then ride the passes in the Wind River range before hitting Beartooth and Chief Joseph and then coming home to Colorado.
Glad you will be on board! I am so excited I am going to put a countdown timer on my computer.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, I'm also thinking of riding to Buffalo, then taking 16 over the Big Horns to Ten Sleep, then 14 from Graybull up Shell Canyon, then 14A back down to Lovell. Then I'm going to ride to Red Lodge, and do Bear Tooth and the Chief Joseph Highway before heading back home through Cody through Thermopolis and Casper. Does that fit at all with what you and Frosty have planned for after Spearfish?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I would like to ride up, but it all depends on how my wife's health is doing at that time. She is having some issues that the Docs have not figured out yet. It will be a last min. decision. Also need help deciding on what bike to ride if I do come up.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Glad to see some of you are still planning to get together. It is looking highly unlikely I can attend this year. I am expecting to be busy with work. Last year was so rainy and cold that it felt like I mainly just stayed around camp. I have been to Spearfish enough that I was okay with catching up with people at camp, but I was kind of hoping to go back this year and actually do more. I still haven't replaced that leaky tent.

I did take the new Super Tenere to Moab and rode part of the White Rim trail and Hurrah pass last October. Other than that, I haven't had much opportunity to ride.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Glad to see some of you are still planning to get together. It is looking highly unlikely I can attend this year. I am expecting to be busy with work. Last year was so rainy and cold that it felt like I mainly just stayed around camp. I have been to Spearfish enough that I was okay with catching up with people at camp, but I was kind of hoping to go back this year and actually do more. I still haven't replaced that leaky tent.

I did take the new Super Tenere to Moab and rode part of the White Rim trail and Hurrah pass last October. Other than that, I haven't had much opportunity to ride.
Always great to see you when you do come! I take a few rides but mostly I just want to hang out and do nothing but talk and eat with people. Gonna be there for three days this time so probably a few rides.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I'm also thinking of riding to Buffalo, then taking 16 over the Big Horns to Ten Sleep, then 14 from Graybull up Shell Canyon, then 14A back down to Lovell. Then I'm going to ride to Red Lodge, and do Bear Tooth and the Chief Joseph Highway before heading back home through Cody through Thermopolis and Casper. Does that fit at all with what you and Frosty have planned for after Spearfish?
Hey Phil, right now about all we know is we shall end up in Buffalo Sat night. And ride the Big horns the next day. I called our favorite motel in Cody...they dont even believe they will be open by July. I personally feel that Montana will open up for out of staters by the time we get there and Yellowstone will open for more than day use. If Montana opens, then West Yellowstone and the north entrence opens, etc. We are kind of in a state of hold but I want to ride the Bighorns and if possible, ride the beartooth. If I am right, Cody's hotels will come alive even if they cant get Chinese students to make the beds....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I thought you guys were leaving Spearfish on Sunday. I can change my departure from Spearfish to Saturday without any problems. From Spearfish there aren't many ways to get to Buffalo except for I-90 or a combo of US-14 and US-16. I've done them both and would recommend 14/16. If you guys want me along, I'll adapt to your plan. If you'd rather do your own thing, that's fine, too.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I thought you guys were leaving Spearfish on Sunday. I can change my departure from Spearfish to Saturday without any problems. From Spearfish there aren't many ways to get to Buffalo except for I-90 or a combo of US-14 and US-16. I've done them both and would recommend 14/16. If you guys want me along, I'll adapt to your plan. If you'd rather do your own thing, that's fine, too.
OK, for the record. We are staying at Chris' for three nights. Wed-Thur- Frid. We stay at Buffalo, a short ride away with no mountain driving, Sat night the 27th. We have made reservations in Redloge MT at the Yodler for Sunday nigh the 28th of June and plan on riding the Beartooth Monday and perhaps ending up in Cody. To get to Redlodge from Buffalo, we like the southern route through the bighorns but anyone can take any route to Red logde. After the Beartooth, we are thinking about reservations in Cody or a camp ground. The main thing is to be flexable . What highway will be snowed and for how long? What will be open? What will the governors do? You might note that Frosty and I prefer to not have long riding days and enjoy the journey, not push to get somewhere. One note. There are a number of nice acceptable motels in Red lodge, some a bit less expensive than the yodler. The Yodler is out of small rooms but we got rooms for $139 with state tax. (49 degrees here, cloudy, blustery. Working on book of bike trips to take this summer) motorcycle trips.jpg

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Phil, would love to have you along. You just have to understand we have no issues what so ever with anyone who wants to go with us doing their own things, doing their own timing and routes.
We are after all all individuals. If you want to get up a bit later than we, that is fine. You can catch up. If you want to stay at a gas station and talk with some guy, you can catch up. If you want to ride longer than we do every day, no problem! We are not into herding cats. We think every cat has a right to go do their own thing. There was a sad incident where a cat didnt want to get out of bed at the rally one year and didnt understand why a bunch of guys didnt want to stay at a McDonalds on their bikes and wait for him to eat breakfast. That cat left in a huff with his fur up. We dont need any drama...only to enjoy the ride, and the motel and happy hour and dinner afterward....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Some good news for rally goers. The Big Horns are opening up! 14a is also open. Here's to the crews that are picking up the trash and feces left by illegal campers at the camp grounds to make them safe to re-open. BTW, following an entity on FB is a great way to find out when things are opening up in real time. Almost all NPs and NFs are on FB. Make sure you get the right page as some have many.

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Hi Phil and all,
Anyone and everyone is welcome to join us. We like to enjoy our rides. That said, if anyone is a peg dragging road warrior, we will see you there, enjoy the ride, no worries. Tell us about it over a beer. If you want to stay in town an shop for antiques, great. We will save you a beer so you can tell us about it when you arrive.

We really didn't have a set detailed plan until this morning (route plan in Link below). We know what has worked in the past, but are open to suggestions. Because it looks like there might be an increased demand for outdoor recreation, we made reservations at Motels that we have stayed at before.
Route Map
Our current plans for Spearfish are to leave on Sat the 27th and spend the night at the Super 8 in Buffalo (the one at 655 East Hart St) for Sat 27th. It is just a 160 - 170 mile ride, but we can have an extended Spearfish breakfast and take our time to pack up. Maybe have lunch. Then arrive at Buffalo with time to clean up have dinner at the western restaurant next door, etc.

Sun, 28 Jun - Buffalo to Yodeler Motel, Red Lodge, MT - Big Horn Mountains south Route 16 thru Ten Sleep, 31 cutoff to 20 thru Greybull, to Red Lodge. It is only a 230 mile day, but most of it in the Big Horns. Red Lodge is a great place at the east end of the Beartooth Hwy.

Mon, 29 Jun - Red Lodge, Beartooth Hwy, Chief Joseph Hwy, Cody - Again, not a long mileage day, but two great highways. I remember on July 10 a few years ago, we were primed to hit the Beartooth early from Red Lodge, but it was closed due to a snow storm on top. We went to Cody and rode it twice the next day from Cody.

All of the above depends on weather, status of motels, etc. The more the merrier!

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Frosty, I would like to encourage you to consider routing over 14 and 16 to get to Buffalo and then adding 14 and 14A on Sunday, as shown here.: Spearfish to Red Lodge
The ride up Shell Canyon is spectacular and from Burgess Junction down to Lovell is great with sweepers until the last few miles on the west side of the Big Horns.

Both changes add a lot of scenery without a whole lot more distance. The 14/14A diversion will add a good bit of time. But, hey, it's in the mountains.

Then from Yodeler's to Cody: Red Lodge to Cody

From Cody I'll head back home via Thermopolis, the Wind River Canyon, and Casper, and you guys can try Jellystone if you're brave enough to brave the mob. I'm guessing that the Montana entrances in the Park will be open by then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom