10th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 24-27, 2020 - Spearfish, SD

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Excellent! I wish I wuz there with the rest of you old farts! Enjoy yourselves and stay safe.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Beautiful, easy ride to the Missouri River at Mobridge today. I’ll go visit my son in Mn tomorrow. Then home.

Great visiting with the “crew” at Spearfish for a few days. I learned that old people have to allow themselves more travel time to get to Spearfish. Ain’t nothin as easy as it used to be.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ya, we know we’re “Excellent “. But we’re hoping you’re not seriously ill. Get well.
Fortunately, nothing serious. I have GERD..... Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease. The Doc sez fairly common amongst us olde fartz and not serious if treated early. The esophageal sphincter does not close all the way and stomach acid travels up the esophagus and irritates the lining and also in my case the larynx. I didn't realize it at the time but for the past ten days I had a wee bit of soreness in my throat and I was hoarse a good bit. I just blew it off to allergies. I got concerned when I was having heartburn and continuous nausea and could not eat anything. My last meal of substance was last Sunday night so I knew when I got to Phil's Tuesday evening something was wrong. I didn't do justice to the steak dinner he treated me to. After a somewhat sleepless night on Tuesday I made the determination to head home rather than take a chance and continue to ride further and further from home. Interestingly, Phil gave me a bottle of meds that he took for a while to combat excess stomach acidity. I don't remember the name of the OTC drug, but the Doc gave me a scrip for the same stuff only prescription strength. Phil coulda' been a Doctor instead of a Pastor :ROFLMAO:. In any event, I'm very sorry to have bailed on the rally and was so looking forward to the ice cream that JJ owes me, but there is always another day. Maybe later this summer I will ride up to the frozen Nawth and visit if I can sneak past the border guards in Wisconsin! God Bless y'all and everyone have a safe trip home!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, I gave you OTC omeprazole, which may be the same strength. It's worked for me for 20 years. I never have any gastric discomfort now. I still occasionally have some raspy voice, but I don't think it's because of GERD. I'm glad it was something that's simple to treat. If you let it for a few years it puts you at risk for esophageal cancer.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
GERD is probably common amongst us oldsters. I have it so avoid certain foods, try to have dinner early, and sleep with my head well elevated. Does a shot or two of camping fuel at night help? :)

I read elsewhere, perhaps a post by Phil, that the ST/NT rally only had 3 NTs present. Last year at our NT Gathering in WV, we had at least double that number but it'd be difficult to say how many we'd have this year if our event had gone on.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
We had a good time. There were several of the old gang there: Jim Rau (Junglejim) Jim Moore, Rich (Yoda), Coyote Chris, Frosty, and me. Mike Simmons was going but got sick by the time he got my house on Tuesday and headed home. We mainly sat around the campground.

Chris, Frosty, and I were going to leave and ride to Buffalo, WY, this morning. We had planned on riding the Big Horns tomorrow and end up in Red Lodge and then ride Beartooth Pass and then I was going to ride the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and head on south through Cody, Meteetsee, Thermopolis, and spend the night in Casper and get home on Tuesday. Chris and Frosty were going to head west through mountains. But, the prediction for tomorrow and Monday was for rain and temps in the high 50s for tomorrow and low 50s for Monday. I'm not sure what 53F at 5500' translates to at 10K+', but I'm pretty sure it would have been cold. So we decided to rid to Buffalo and then I was going to head home tomorrow. Chris and Frosty were going to see if they could wait out the weather by spending a day or two in Buffalo.

That plan went out the window when Chris had a bout of intestinal misfortune. They decided to head towards home, so I did, too. It was hot across eastern Wyoming -- 95 from Newcastle to south of Torrington, cooled off a bit around Cheyenne, but was back to 92 when I got home to Greeley.

Next year in Spearfish!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Killer day. 11 hours and 544 miles over the Bighorns. At Three Forks MT. Weather is turning to used Purina for 3 days so we ride home in the rain tomorrow. a threeforks.jpg

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
2020 National Rally:
Somewhat small and reserved but the closest thing to normal so far this year.
Breakfast at Perkins, Lunch at Applebees ... living on the edge.
It was nice to catch up with all, old and new. To me, it was well worth the trip despite cancelling the Red Lodge and Beartooth portion. Next year the Needles Hwy is on my list.
We did miss Mellow. He gets a better deal on Pizza.

Coyote Chris says, "See ya next year!"
1593471733388.png

Bike
2010 NT700V
Too bad this wasn't on my route, I would have stopped in to say hi. Saturday morning I was actually riding the NT through the 103 degree west meridian, albeit on an interstate a few states south.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
2020 National Rally:
Somewhat small and reserved but the closest thing to normal so far this year.
Breakfast at Perkins, Lunch at Applebees ... living on the edge.
It was nice to catch up with all, old and new. To me, it was well worth the trip despite cancelling the Red Lodge and Beartooth portion. Next year the Needles Hwy is on my list.
We did miss Mellow. He gets a better deal on Pizza.

Coyote Chris says, "See ya next year!"
1593471733388.png
This was my 9th year...so many good memories....Note stove fuel in carefully marked red bottle for safety. Dont want any nasty accidents of people thinking it is drinkable.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It's always a good idea to keep your stove fuel bottle carefully labeled. It makes lousy instant coffee and can ruin perfectly good bourbon. I know from nasty previous experience. 🥴

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Here some pictures of a few of us at the campground on Friday afternoon:

Coyote Chris looking cheerful and joyous:
P6260346.JPG

Rich (Yoda) from Albuquerque (for a little longer):
P6260347.JPG

Randy Frank from Loveland, CO. I've ridden with Randy on Motorcycle Sport Touring Association rides:
P6260350.JPG

Steve Cook rode up to Spearfish after leaving his home in Montrose, CO, and visiting his 90-year-old father in Steamboat Springs before joining Randy for the ride to Spearfish. Steve and I have been riding together since about 2003. We've been to Concours Owners Group National Rallies in Centralia, WA; Canaan Valley, WV; Fontana, NC; and Frisco, CO. Maybe more, but my memory ain't what it used to be. We've had some very interesting rides!
P6260351.JPG

And Frosty, aka Joe Forstie
P6260352.JPG

This is Mike Simmons in my garage on Wednesday morning as he was turning around to head home to get diagnosed as a victim of Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease:P6240344.JPG

We hope to see you in Spearfish in 2021!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here some pictures of a few of us at the campground on Friday afternoon:

Coyote Chris looking cheerful and joyous:
P6260346.JPG

Rich (Yoda) from Albuquerque (for a little longer):
P6260347.JPG

Randy Frank from Loveland, CO. I've ridden with Randy on Motorcycle Sport Touring Association rides:
P6260350.JPG

Steve Cook rode up to Spearfish after leaving his home in Montrose, CO, and visiting his 90-year-old father in Steamboat Springs before joining Randy for the ride to Spearfish. Steve and I have been riding together since about 2003. We've been to Concours Owners Group National Rallies in Centralia, WA; Canaan Valley, WV; Fontana, NC; and Frisco, CO. Maybe more, but my memory ain't what it used to be. We've had some very interesting rides!
P6260351.JPG

And Frosty, aka Joe Forstie
P6260352.JPG

This is Mike Simmons in my garage on Wednesday morning as he was turning around to head home to get diagnosed as a victim of Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease:P6240344.JPG

We hope to see you in Spearfish in 2021!
I AM smiling.

Top Bottom