10th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 24-27, 2020 - Spearfish, SD

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A combination of construction zones and rain got the bikes a little dirty on the way to Tok AK

IMG_20130722_203240.jpeg
I'd forgotten how dirty we'd been when we got to Tok. I guess it was before we headed for Valdez that we'd found the car wash in Tok. The silver bike doesn't show as much dirt!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike Simmons has made it to Smith Center after visiting the Geographic Center of the US in Lebanon, KS, and the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City, KS. We're going to meet tomorrow around noon at the St. Francis, KS, Motorcycle Museum before riding back to Greeley and then leaving for Spearfish on Wednesday morning.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Made it to 3 forks mt. Bighorns tomorrow. Weather perfect. 3fdd.jpg
Are you guys practicing social distancing from each other? Mike and I are going to share rooms all next week. I hope we're not making a mistake!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Mike Simmons has made it to Smith Center after visiting the Geographic Center of the US in Lebanon, KS, and the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City, KS. We're going to meet tomorrow around noon at the St. Francis, KS, Motorcycle Museum before riding back to Greeley and then leaving for Spearfish on Wednesday morning.
While you are at the museum take a look at my old CB650 on display. Belongs to Aurora Honda. I traded it in for my old NT700 way back when in 2010.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Are you guys practicing social distancing from each other? Mike and I are going to share rooms all next week. I hope we're not making a mistake!
I get the bed, you get the couch..... No problem!
:LOL:

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't think so. But I also don't have any idea what you're talking about But the Google Maps I have on my phone showed every construction zone we went through today.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, things have changed here in Greeley. I was up during the night with intestinal disturbance, and I'm just getting ready to pack and hope to hit the road by 9-ish (an hour late). Mike Simmons got up and told me that his stomach has been bothering him and seems to have gotten worse every day since he left home. He's decided that he'd rather be heading toward home rather than away from it, so he just left heading back east.

I'll get there this afternoon. If I'm not able to get away by 9, I'll probably take a quicker route than meeting Jim Moore in Crawford and give him a call releasing him to go on up by himself.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm in Spearfish .... at Bell's Motor Lodge Motel. I know Chuck Henderson is here, too, but I haven't seen him yet.

I have mentioned that I rode from Greeley to St. Francis, KS, to meet Mike Simmons and ride back to our house with him. Well that was 374 miles and the longest ride I'd taken in 2020 had been 176 miles on March 11. Until I get acclimatized every year, I get a pain between my shoulder blades and that was working pretty well by the time we got home yesterday. Plus, I'd had a rockin' one whole hour of sleep Monday night before meeting Mike. Last night I was sleeping great and then at 4AM, 2 hours before my alarm was set to go off, I woke up and had to make run for the facility. I got up four times before 5AM but managed to sleep for another hour.

Mike came upstairs as I was eating breakfast and told me he had decided to head home. I called Jim Moore and told him that I was running late and he said he'd wait for me in Crawford.

THEN I was a whole 1.3 miles from my house and had to stop for traffic light at one of the busiest intersections in Greeley. After 25 months of not dropping my bike -- I dropped it. No damage to the bike, I got a cut on the nose when my helmet rolled down and smacked my glasses and my practically brand-new Shoei Neo Tech 2 got a deep scrape on the face shield. It's the full height of the shield and pretty deep. A couple of guys got the bike picked up and moved to the sidewalk. I thanked them and had just started the bike and was ready to ride, when a very nice very concerned police officer walked up and started checking to make sure that I was OK. He wanted to call someone to come get me and help me make arrangements to get my bike back home. I kept telling him I was OK and that I was riding to Spearfish, not 1.3 mile back to the house. About five minutes into that conversation, a fire truck pulled up. They were convince right away that I was OK, but then an ambulance pulled up. It didn't take too long to get rid of them but the whole episode ended up taking at least half an hour.

I got the dead little town of Hereford, CO, and was ready to swing left for Carpenter and Burns, WY, and the road was torn up and closed. The detour sign pointed straight east and I knew that it turned to gravel when it was still 25 miles from Pine Bluff, WY. But going back to a road that would get me to Crawford would have involved at least 35 miles of backtracking. So, I figured to take the detour until I got to the last place where I could turn back South on pavement. I only went about 2 miles before I could turn north. It was dirt, but well graded and I was doing 40-50 mph the first couple miles. Then it turned into semi-graded and way too well watered dirt. It was slick occasionally rutted mud for maybe 6 miles and then the detour pointed back west. But this stretch looked like it had been disked with farm equipment and then watered way too much.. No way was I driving that. But another mile north and I was able to get back to pavement riding on semi-graded dirt and rocks.

I finally got to Crawford at 2:30, met Jim, and we got to Spearfish just a bit after 6PM.

I had breakfast this morning with Chris and Frosty from Spokane, Rich from Albuquerque, Jim Moore, Chuck Henderson, and a friend from my Concours days, who had ridden from Montrose and then from Loveland yesterday with Randy Frank, a former ST-1300 rider who's now on a '19 Goldwing DCT.

I'm taking care of some business, then I'll go out to the campground and sit around murdering the cow's husband.

Top Bottom