1st Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 27-Jul 1, 2011 - Hill City, SD

taldric

So - what is the agenda for the week? Are people arriving on Monday (June 27) or are they arriving Sunday to be ready for "activities" on Monday? Are people leaving Friday (so nothing planned for that day)? Just trying to make sure I know how long the reservation should be and my reservations for hotels on the drive to/from Hill City.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm planning on arriving Sunday -- but it'll be fairly late. I'm doing a wedding on top of a mountain ski resort in Utah on Saturday, catching a plane out of Salt Lake at 5:50AM on Sunday, preaching here at 9:00 and then heading that way. I 'spect I'll get there around 6-7PM.

Rally activities: Not too many planned yet. I'll have some ride suggestions and try to set something up at the Honda dealer in Rapid City. There are lots of things to visit: Caves, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, the Badlands, Indian Reservations museums in Rapid City, Deadwood and Lead (pronounced "l-ee-d" not "led"). We'll have a bike show, but that'll probably start the minute we get there. I'm going to find a place where we can have a "banquet" but I'm not going to organize a menu. That would mean making a commitment about numbers. A lot of what I see us doing is talking about setting precedents in what we want in a National Rally. If we get some of the experts there, maybe they can demonstrate a few maintenance procedures -- I'd really like to see what's involved in adjusting valves (or even just getting all the plastic off.

Typical for the Concours Owners Group Rallies I've been at has been having the banquet on Thursday evening and then people were free to leave and head home on Friday morning. I'm fairly sure I'll check out of the motel by Friday morning so I can be back here by O'Dark-thirty on Friday evening, since I've got to preach again on Sunday.

When I talk about having ride suggestions, what I mean is some routes of varying length (and maybe themes) and folks hook up with each other and ride together. I don't believe in riding in the kind of groups that will take over the Hills a month after we're there when 2-400,000 folks will be there for "Sturgis."

If anyone wants this to get more "organized," I'm open for that, but I won't do it. :)

As for you poor people coming from the east, it's not as awful as you think. You just need to think "off the slab." I'm attaching a route suggestion that's probably something like what I'd use if I were coming from central Indiana. I've ridden some of these roads and they're not so bad. Nebraska is a cool state to ride through once you get off I-80. It's hard to do too much with Illinois, but it can be better than going around the big cities and following interstates. Iowa's got lots of potential. This route adds 150 miles to the straight line version (which you can't ride anyway, mainly because of barbed wire and water).

If you can't open this (it's a Streets and Trips file) email me at ptarman1 at msn dot com and I'll send you an html version.

Last edited:

bish79

So I'm back on the fence about going to this.

Originally my plans were for two honeymoons this year. The first one would be right after the wedding and would be something simple like going up to Traverse City and relaxing for an extended weekend. The idea being we would unwind after the stresses of the whole wedding thing that we are planning and paying for ourselves (mostly). The second was going to be an extended trip out to Colorado which would occur June 18th - 26th. Thus I would have to immediately get back on the NT and ride out to SD for this. Obviously with the second honeymoon, my schedule was not going to work out.

Now, it looks like the second honeymoon might have to be pushed back (like until next year) due to financial issues and possible logistical issues that I should not discuss on an open forum. SO I need help from the forum... How can I justify going to the NT Nationals when I cannot justify going on the second honeymoon just yet? In my mind I keep telling myself that it will be cheaper to go to the NT Nationals than Colorado. Do I have a case or am I making stuff up to get a good long trip out of the NT?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Do I have a case or am I making stuff up to get a good long trip out of the NT?
Of course you have a case! Maybe not a very convincing one for your dearly beloved, but you've convinced me. What more could you want?

taldric

I'll be coming into town late Sunday then (anticipate driving in from Seattle in two days). I am planning to leave Thursday morning and meet up with a friend in Missoula Thursday night to do a two day ride back to Seattle hitting a couple of the cafe-to-cafe stops. So I'll be ther Sunday evening to Thursday morning.

How about arranging somewhere to wash our bikes while we are there?

I would appreciate any NT specific technical talks. How to remove all the Tupperware would be cool, or how to remove the rear wheel, or how to change a tire.

What about having a farkle comparison? Who has the most, who has the fewest, what is the most common farkle, what is the least common? With some kind of simple cheap award.

Having never been to one of these before, I'm curious if we will be eating together each morning and evening, will we just have meet up times each day?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim,

I'll try to set up a bikewash area. Eating together will require arranging to eat with someone. The hotel has a good breakfast and food for other meals. I don't remember if they have a separate room for just our group. I'll check on that. My observation at rallies has been that people run on different clocks. We will try to set up a banquet facility where we can all eat together, but that's for Thursday night.

This is going to be low in organizational detail partly because I didn't feel like getting into registration fees and all that goes with that. That means I don't really know how many are coming.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Hey guys, I know this is for the SD meet, but I was looking at the member map and saw quite a few midwest/east coast members.

I wondered if we maybe would want a fall meet up somewhere on the east coast, say outside Knoxville, TN (so we could ride the tail of the dragon) or maybe outside Harrisonburg, PA.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Don't worry about hijacking the thread, Scwartz. It sounds like a great idea, but I won't be able to join you until '13.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have a room at the Golden Spike as well. Thought I had a friend from here riding with me, but he's canceled. I'd really like to share the room with someone. I don't have a Best Western card, so I'm paying $153/night from Sunday through Thursday night.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Good idea, Rick! I haven't used that planning tool yet. I will start making some ride suggestions and getting them onto this site. Streets and Trips will save things as web pages. Can I post them here?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Concerning the Rally...I've got a room with two queen-sized beds all to myself at this time. I'm looking for someone to share the room and the costs. I don't snore (according to my wife). Any interest?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Could I put them in an album here on the Forum?

BlackEyes1

Phil, baring any emergencies I am planning to make it to the rally and am looking to share a room with someone also. If nobody has yet responded to you I would like to submit my request to share a room. Giving full faith and disclosure, I've been told that I snore sometimes but I don't know how often or how badly because well.......I'm asleep :) Don't know if that scares you away or not but wanted to be upfront about it. Please let me know.

BlackEyes1

Bike
Silver NT700V
Was just re-reading the Rider magazine article on the NT for the Nth time and notices the last sentence.

"I'm sure Honda loyalists who've been waiting a long time for the NT700V to be sold in the United States are already forming an owner's club and planning a rally. If so, please send an invitation to Greg Drevenstedt, care of Rider magazine."

Might be a good way to get some ink for the NT.

Have a good time,

Chuck

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
BlackEyes1, You can share a room with me. If you snore, I've got ear plugs. PM me with a real name, address, and phone number. I'll do the same with you. I'll probably get there some time around 7-8PM on Sunday.

Chuck, I'm glad you saw Greg's request in Rider. It's probably too late for him to get it into his schedule, but I'll email him tomorrow.

I would also like to share a room. I die every night within 30 minutes after taking my Ambien, wake up at 0700, and shower at least once every day.

Bike
Silver NT700V
No probs , Phil. Wish I had seen it earlier and also that I could make the rally. Nephew getting married the last weekend in June and the next week is insane at work.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I got an automated email back from Rider today, telling me that my email had been forwarded to the person indicated. Haven't heard from Greg yet, but I'm willing to bet that I do.

I'll be surprised if he makes it, but who knows....

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Got an email from Greg this evening. He can't make it, but wished us all the best and suggested I write it up and send some pictures and said it might get printed in their "Clubs and Rallies" section.

Top Bottom