1st Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 27-Jul 1, 2011 - Hill City, SD

Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
Phil, I appreciate this opp. One question: I could only be there for 2 (or, at most, 3) of the days because of a previous commitment. Would it be worthwhile to attend for only 2 days?

taldric

I'm only going to be there from Sunday evening to Thursday morning. But I think it will be a great time to get to meet each other face to face, talk motorcycles, go ona few rides together. Even If it was just one day, at least we could all shake hands and have a beer. I think it's worth it. And I bet my trip will be The longest to get there at 1200 miles!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Phil, I appreciate this opp. One question: I could only be there for 2 (or, at most, 3) of the days because of a previous commitment. Would it be worthwhile to attend for only 2 days?
Read taldric's post above. This is not your highly organized rally. There are no events planned but we'll probably eat together some. Maybe we can move "banquet" up to an earlier night so you and he can be part of it. I thought I'd be able to get up there and line up a place where we could eat together, but that isn't going to happen until I'm there for the Rally. We'll talk, ride, talk some more, maybe even drink a beer or two. This will give any future National Rally organizers a baseline that can be easily surpassed! Come join us. At the very least, you'll help make history and get to ride a fairly long distance getting there and home.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I am headed off to WESTOC in Nelson BC. Will be leaving at O dark 30 on Thursday morning. I am taking the ST. Will try and stop in for a couple of days at NTOC on my return run. You guys will let me stop in even though I am riding the ST1300 for this trip, won't you?

The ST is all packed and ready to go.

BlackEyes1

Summer Trip 2011

In preparation for my ?big? trip I thought I would post my current approximate route in case anyone here has some suggestions on better routes, places I should stop, etc. I figure with the average age on this forum I've access to many decades of driving/riding experience. I'm still working out final dates but here's what I've got so far. Any suggestions on detours/re-routes/improvements are greatly appreciated.

6/23/11
Tucson, AZ → Show Low, AZ via SR77 & US60
Show Low, AZ → Gallup, NM via US60, US191, & I-40
Gallup, NM → Farmington, NM via US491 & US64

6/24/11 - 6/26/11
Farmington, NM → Durango, CO via SR170
Durango, CO → Montrose, CO via US550 (Plan stop for pictures and such along ?Million Dollar Highway?.)
Montrose, CO → Denver, CO via US50 & US285
Denver, CO → Fort Morgan, CO via I-70 & I-76

6/26/11
Meet Phil in Fort Morgan, CO
Fort Morgan, CO to Hill City, SD via SR71 (?)

6/26/11 ? 7/1/11
Party with NT Rally Group, see Mt. Rushmore, & other fun stuff.

7/1/11 ? 7/?/11
Hill City, SD → Yellowstone NP via US16, SR450, SR387, I-25, US16 & US14

7/2/11 ? 7/5/11
Hangout and Explore Yellowstone & Grand Teton Nps

7/6/11
Grand Teton NP → Salt Lake City, UT via US189, US26, US89, SR89, US30, SR16, & I-80

7/7/11
Salt Lake City, UT → Las Vegas, NV via I-80, US93-Alt, US93, SR318 & I-15 (A long hot day of travel :( )

7/8/11 ? 7/9/11
Las Vegas, NV → Hoover Dam via I-515 & US93 (Stop for pictures, a little relax time, etc)
Hoover Dam → Tucson, AZ via US93, SR74, I-17, Loop-101, US60, SR79 & SR77

7/10/11
One Day Rest before work on Monday.

One other thing. I'm meeting Phil in Fort Morgan and heading up towards SD. If I am passing by anyone on my trip and you'd like to join me on part of my journey, have a meal together, know of any good motels, or have a room available for a weary traveler, please let me know. :please1: Any company or camaraderie is welcome. :black1:

Like stated earlier, some of the days are still in flux + or ? a day depending on circumstances but this is the current idea. It maps to a little over 3,000 miles so hopefully I haven't bitten off too much for myself. It will definitely be an adventure to remember though.

I hope this post finds everyone having a good day.

BlackEyes1

Sounds like a great loop, BlackEyes1. Make sure you take lots O pictures. And be mindful of the summer heat.

Actually, after a couple of runs here, I think I'm set for the heat. It's the possible cold that is concerning me. I have good AZ desert gear but based on a couple of posts recently from others, I'm wondering if I need to bring some warmer coats/sweaters/etc. for the higher elevation legs of the trip in Colorado or Grand Tetons. I mean it won't be sub freezing will it? I can deal with 50's - 70's but I don't know about 32.

BlackEyes1

taldric

Thought I would post my travel plan to get to the NT Owner's Rally...

June 25
7:00 AM - Leave home (Federal Way, WA)
10:45 AM - refuel in Moses Lake, WA
2:46 PM - refuel in Saltese, MT
7:00 PM - arrive at Super 8 Hotel, Butte, MT

June 26
7:00 AM - Leave Super 8 Hotel, Butte, MT
11:00 AM - refuel in Billings, MT
2:15 PM - refuel in Buffalo, WY
6:30 PM - arrive at Best Western, Hill City, SD

Total of nearly 1200 miles in two days. Will be my longest ride yet!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I just talked to them and got a lower rate, but not as low as yours. I got something like $142/night (with tax included). Didn't see the manager's special rate.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
BlackEyes1, you talked "keeping up" with us old party animals. To which I say: "Ha!"

Kids like you will put us oldsters to bed. Your job will be to tuck me in. Partying at most of the Concours Owners Group Rallies usually consisted of two or three beers or a couple of glasses of wine. Pretty mellow because we all want to ride early the next day.

BTW, how old are you (if that's not too intrusive a question)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I am jealous of you retired people. Some of us have to keep working to support your social security checks! :)
I'm with you...I'm still two years away from retirement, and work if interfering more and more with my riding and loafing. My personnel committee just finished my annual evaluation. I almost wished they'd tell me that they thought I was losing my effectiveness and that I should plan on retiring in 2012 instead of 2013.

Friday morning, I'm leaving here at about 5:00 to catch a flight to Salt Lake City. I'll perform a wedding on top of a mountain next to Park City on Saturday afternoon, leave it as soon as I decently can, then take my rental car back to the airport, go to a motel and sleep till about 4:00, get to the airport for a 5:50 departure to Denver. I'll be back to DIA by about 7:20, and then try to get back here in time for church at 9:00.

Then, I hope that Keith Bartholomew (BlackEyes1 on our Forum) and I can get away from here to head to Hill City by sometime around 11:30. If we do that, we ought to make it to Rally Central by 7:30-8:00 PM.

See you there... and maybe we can have a contest to see which one of us is the most exhausted!

taldric

+1 on the Riding my NT photo.
I'm in as well! I want the same thing. I'll have my camera as well, so we can setup at least a couple to make sure we always get at least one good image. I'd hate to have to drive the corner more than once! ;-)

taldric

Should I pick up a special filter to handle the glare from all those banana suits?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Should I pick up a special filter to handle the glare from all those banana suits?
I'm thinking a couple ND4's stacked together should work...:D Just don't let them ride through "side by side" :bannana::bannana:, ala the old CHiP's TV intro, or no amount of filtering will work.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Your passenger could hold your $10 Walmart duffle on her lap.

Top Bottom