2013 Pre-National Rally Rally (PNRR) in Colorado

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pre-National Rally Rally (PNRR)
June 29-30, 2013
--> RSVP Here <--

Where: On the shores of Ruedi Reservoir (39.373 N, 106.813W), 15.3 miles from Basalt, CO; 1/2 mile downhill from Rocky Huber's house.

Planned Events: None

Unplanned Events: Fishing, Eating, Riding, Talking. Eating, Talking, Riding, Fishing. Whatever.

Disorganizers: Rocky Huber and Phil Tarman

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Count me in. Hope to ride the DR over the 4x4 passes on the way out. Maybe I will buy another air mattress.:wink: I guess I will have to camp out for this trip.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I guess I will have to camp out for this trip.
Rocky said he's got a couple of spare bedrooms -- maybe if you ask quick, you can score one of those. We'd hate to see you blow your reputation. :)

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Just so there are no suprises here are a few facts about the Ruedi campsites. It will be best to reserve camp spots as the really good ones usually are. This way we can get a group of them together. Sharing camp sites is a good idea too, most have room for 3 tents and plenty of parking, especially for bikes! I promise to learn how to attach links and pictures soon with this site, but with ski season starting I am pretty slammed at work. Resevations should be made in Febraury, I do not think they can be made yet this far out. The good campsite closer to the lake and Ruedi Creek is Mollie B Campground. There is no cell service up there but if you need phone or internet my house is close by. It has been a while since I have camped up there but I THINK it is 10 or maybe 15 a night. Mollie B has a flush toilet facility and fresh water. Campsites are equiped with a large piknik table and nice fire ring with a cooking grate. Hopfully we get some snow so the drought will not bring a fire ban, and I will stock pile some wood so we can have a nice fire one night. I also have a couple of colman camp stoves, a pop up sun awning, and some other camping comforts that would be difficult to haul on a MC I would be willing to loan.
Looking forward to this event! Please let me know if anyone has questions etc...

Bike
Oooppps Looks like Chuck is Army... I was mistaken, I will have one Air Force and one Army at the house! If my son comes into town we will have a Marine too!

Bike
For those interested in fishing, the Aspen Times Daily reported on 12-22 that perhaps the larges fish ever caught on the Frying Pan River was caught last week. Just below the dam a fishing guide pulled in a 21-23 pound Brown Trout. It is catch and release in that section of the river so that fish was returned to the water. Amazing to me there are fish that big in that small stream. Check Aspen Times on line to read for your self!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I can't even imagine what it would be like to catch something that size. Biggest fish I've ever caught was about 5# and it wore me out.

Bob, Trout can get big, copied this from an Arkansas article. I float fished the Little Red on a 2 day trip but didn't catch anything very big but, that's OK, just being out on the water is enough.

Arkansas tailwaters now contain a significant number of browns exceeding 30 pounds and fish in the five-to-10-pound range are common. The world record for a brown trout (40 pounds, 4 ounces) was set in May 1992 on the Little Red River, 29 miles of which had become suitable trout habitat with the completion of the Greers Ferry Dam in the early 1960s. This record stood until it was surpassed in 2009.

John

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Just so there are no suprises here are a few facts about the Ruedi campsites. It will be best to reserve camp spots as the really good ones usually are. This way we can get a group of them together. Sharing camp sites is a good idea too, most have room for 3 tents and plenty of parking,
Rocky
I don't know for sure if i can make it, but I wouldn't mind sending you a few bucks to chip in for some camping sites.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rocky, can you reserve some of the camping sites for us? How soon do reservations need to be made? How soon can they be made? Do you need money to do that?

Bike
Let me get all the info for this, my wife was walking the dogs down there a few weeks ago and there was a sign down there about changes in reservations. You can book now 180 days before you actually stay. This being said those wanting the best sites close to the water might want to start booking now. OK, the sites close to the water are great for boat owners to be able to see their boats on the water, but just to camp any site is a good site. In the next few days (ok, after the first of the year, this is the busiest time of the year when you work in a ski resort) I will post info on the map of the campground and reservation directions. Those wising to reserve sites can do so themselves but I am sorry I cannot remember the outfit that is running the campground, it does change year to year. Until I can get the info, my lovely wife thought it was Colorado Recreation dot gov. Search Ruedi Resivour (spelled wrong) and look for Molly B campground, Little Mattie campgroung, and Little Maude campground. These sites are all in pretty much the same place, but I like Molly B as the bathrooms are flush toilets and the facilitys are nice. Seeing I am the host, those wanting a hot shower, phone and internet this will be available for those who wish at my place. I will look for more info soon, but would rather not reserve sites for attendees. More info to follow....

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
For two nights, I'm not too worried about showers. When we split, I'm going to run over to Montrose to see my son and daughter-in-law (unless a bunch of people are heading for my back yard until the National Rally). Either way, I'll be near a shower.

And I'm guessing that the reservoir would be fittin' for swimmin'.

Bike
The hot springs is a good idea, I even know of a little hot springs in the Crystal River just off a pretty senic road, Colorado 133. We used to call it the hippie dip! That could be a fun ride. Bob, many thanks for posting these links, great resources for info and reserving campsites. Phil, my sons go in the water as early as late May, but thats too cold for me! They like to look tough and wake board with out wetsuits ... Going Commando! By the end of June I am thinking the water will be in the high 60s, refreshing but doable.

Bike
I addition to the website Bobagain provided there is a phone number. 877-444-6777 will conect you with someone who can set you up with reservations to the campgrounds up here. Those who are commited to come may want to reserve soon. Those who are not sure and will decide last minute can find a spot without reservations usually, and Dearhammer campsite is at the other end of the lake for those who may want a different venue. It is about 6 miles down the road and a more primitive area.
I have to share a cool story with you all. Last night after watching my beloved Packers beat the Vikings I went to bed a little early. After I went to bed my wife and the dogs were out on our deck that is above the lake and heard the strangest noises. Margi could not figure out what these surreal noises were, and explained them to me the next morning. I passed them off as coyotes, but she did not agree. This morning we got out of bed with the sun, and as we looked over the lake the noises appeared again. They sounded a lot like the underwater whale noises we have all heard on Nat Geo. WEIRD... Well, in four years of living on the lake I had never heard this, but figured out what it is. This deep end of the lake is just starting to freeze, and has large plates of thin ice floating around rubbing against each other. This movement and rubbing makes these thin sheets vibrate and cause the most un natural weird noises you ever heard. I am about 900 vertical feet above the water/ice level and here these noises clear as can be. We went to the lake with the dogs and heard it close up, very cool! May go down this afternoon and try to record these sounds, because as the lake freezes hard this phenomenon will be gone.
Happy New Year All, and looking forward to a great turnout for the PNNR this Spring.

Top Bottom