2013 Pre-National Rally Rally (PNRR) in Colorado

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Thats is how I remember it Bob, and they are pretty lapse with rule enforcement (at least used to be). Dogs off leashes are a no-no though. Sticking an extra tent somewhere should not cause a problem with the camp hosts.

Bike
I spoke to a Gold Winger buddy of mine (Not on any owner sites) and told him about the PNRR. He reminded me that Mollie B is the ONLY resevable site of the three on this side of the lake. Little Maud and Little Mattie are first come first served. These are the sites located a LITTLE farther from the lake shore with more primitive facilities. (read pit toilet). I am not positive this is the case so if anyone else reserves and I am wrong please let us all know.
Thanks!
And Bob, looks like next year you will have at least 3 more states on your map colored in!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just reserved campsite # 26 at the Mollie B campground. It allows ten campers on the site, but they say only two vehicles. Rocky, do you think that will apply to motorcycles or are they likely to be reasonable people who see a difference between our vehicles and RVs?

I won't promise anyone a place on the site. First 9 to talk to me after I get there that Friday afternoon will get a tentsite -- if #26 will hold ten tents.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I did, Bob. I'll leave Sunday and ride to Montrose to visit my son and daughter-in-law.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Guys, if its not to late I would like to come out and join the group, shake hands, and meet all you nice folks. I use a CPAP for sleep so I have to have electricity.

Does anyone have a site with electricity that they would like to split the cost on, or should I try to reserve one myself?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Guys, if its not to late I would like to come out and join the group, shake hands, and meet all you nice folks. I use a CPAP for sleep so I have to have electricity.

Does anyone have a site with electricity that they would like to split the cost on, or should I try to reserve one myself?
If nothing else, you could stay at Rocky's and run an extension cord to his back yard. I'm sure he'll reply before long. We'd sure love to have you join us!

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I just reserved campsite # 26 at the Mollie B campground. It allows ten campers on the site, but they say only two vehicles. Rocky, do you think that will apply to motorcycles or are they likely to be reasonable people who see a difference between our vehicles and RVs?

I won't promise anyone a place on the site. First 9 to talk to me after I get there that Friday afternoon will get a tentsite -- if #26 will hold ten tents.
The web site says the 1st two motorcycles count as one vehicle. After that each two bikes is five dollars. That does not sound to bad.

Bike
In all the years I have camped up there they are pretty easy going about being strict to the rules. The campground hosts are not State or National Park employees, they are conracted to run the campsite and are always really nice and laid back. If there is an extra bike somewhere, or an extra person at the camp in my experiance they look the other way (unless Phil is blasting Led Zepplin after 10 PM). And yeah, I have some tent room in my yard for overflow that I will be happy to share.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
In all the years I have camped up there they are pretty easy going about being strict to the rules. The campground hosts are not State or National Park employees, they are conracted to run the campsite and are always really nice and laid back. If there is an extra bike somewhere, or an extra person at the camp in my experiance they look the other way (unless Phil is blasting Led Zepplin after 10 PM). And yeah, I have some tent room in my yard for overflow that I will be happy to share.
Rocky, just checking to see if my reservation is still good or if I need to bring camping gear.:)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I figure I'll get there by mid-afternoon. I'll go up I-70 to Copper Mountain, then down to Leadville and over Independence Pass to Basalt.

Rocky, I'm guessing we'll all ride into Basalt to eat -- is that a good plan?

And did you see the post from U20417 who was needing electricity to run their CPAP machine?

Last edited:
Bike
Yes Chuck, you and Eldon still have reservations at the inn.
Phil, I have been in contact with U20417 and he can set up in my yard.
There is a great resturaunt called Riverside just in Basalt and it is right ON THE RIVER with a nice deck overlooking the water. OR... say the word and I can get some ribs to slow cook all day and we can meet at my house and have a little BBQ, and those wishing a refreshing beer after their travels will not have to worry about the Frying Pan Road after a cold one! We could all chip in a few bucks and let me know what you guys like and we can get a great meal going. May be more convienant as we do not have to try and dial in a set time to all meet, we can show up when we get there!
I am open to all suggestions, and love to cook so let me know!

Bike

Just to be clear, they have overflow parking if you have more than 2 cars per site, so if there are more bikes than the SITE allows they have several overflow parking areas in the capground on the same loop road as the camp sites, very close.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
We could all chip in a few bucks and let me know what you guys like and we can get a great meal going. May be more convienant as we do not have to try and dial in a set time to all meet, we can show up when we get there!
I am open to all suggestions, and love to cook so let me know!
Rocky, I am the new guy and either option sounds good to me. So I will differ to veteran member to decide where to eat.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rocky, why don't we plan on all of us kicking in and helping you cook and pay for the evening meals. If two of them seem like too much trouble, why don't we plan riding to/meeting in Basalt on Saturday evening. I'm assuming that we'll have spent some time riding on Saturday.

Bike
My lovely wife and I love to entertain (read show off our modest slice of heaven) and evening meals here we would enjoy to host, and help in the kitchen and wallet are a bonus. We will all save some $$ eating in, and being able to mingle around the house and deck would be more fun in my opinion that being seated at a big table in a restaurant. We would love to host the PNRR evening meals with some help from the gang, and use my place for a home base. I am sure the phone and some internet would help out too as there is no cell service up here and everyone can connect with loved ones. Then maybe one of you guys will will show me how easy it is to post pictures on this site!! Let me know what food, soda, libations the group would enjoy and I can stock up so the groups bikes are not loaded with supplies, and we can settle up when all arrive.
I look forward to this rally, and hope we all like it so much it becomes an annual event. I have a great selection of tools for those who may need some service too (and a service manual). But after looking at the pictures of Chuck's garage I have some work to do!!
Looking forward to hearing input from all who are coming!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I booked a hotel book at the Green Drake in Basalt for Saturday June 29. I'll at least have dinner with yall. Maybe make it there early enough to ride out and meet at the camp site. Need to be in Gunnison by early afternoon on Sunday June 30 to meet the Ms who is flying into Grand Junction and renting a car. We're hanging out with family for that week (sis/bro-in-law have a cabin-in-progress in Cimarron) and I'll be heading back to Texas on July 3.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Need to be in Gunnison by early afternoon on Sunday June 30
Greg, Have I got a deal for you! I'm going from the campground to Montrose to spend a day or two with my son and daughter-in-law. I'll lead you on the best single road in Colorado -- almost to Gunnison.

We'll go to Carbondale, Paonia, Hotchkiss, Crawford (this is where the great road begins (although it won't have been too shabby up till Crawford, either), and then to Blue Mesa Dam at US-50, west of Gunnison. It would be a 172 mile ride and about 3 1/2 hours for you to Gunnison. It'll be 184 miles and 4 hours for me.

Interested? Even if you don't want to do that, I'll still be doing it.

Top Bottom