OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I saw that rain along I-35 on radar this morning. Joe is going to get wet.........and he did.
I had my rain liners in so I didn't get wet at all but amazing how cold you get in 70 degree rain when you've been riding in 100+ degree temps the days before.

Oddly, my VStrom's FI light came on right before I got home, seems it doesn't like that kind of high speed humidity running... LOL.. once I got home and turned it off and let it rest the light went away and there was no code stored. blah blah blah.. who cares - suzuki stuff.. LOL

Glad everyone had a great time, it was a blast.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Rod D and I left this morning at 6am sharp and I rolled into my garage at 1300. Six hours moving. One hour for a late breakfast and two gas stops. Overcast and cool to cold and no rain except 5 mins of sprinkle at Cheyenne. Also had a 30 mph tail wind most of the way. 403 miles of great cool riding to Aurora, Colorado. Good to see my NT (ST) 700 and my ST 1300/1100 friends and again. Special thanks to TreeMuncher (Randy) for taking me out to get my Wee 650 dirty. Had a blast eating his dust.

Folks, Now that 3rd Nat'l NT Rally and NATSTOC are over it is time to put COSTOC on the radar.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I left Custer State Park yesterday afternoon after riding the Needles with Wendell, Rich and William. Wendell, Rich and I had packed up in the morning then headed south to do some additional checking out of the roads in and around Custer State Park. We had a long lunch in Hill City and then road the Needles Highway. William went on to ride the Iron Mountain Road and back to Spearfish, Wendell, Rich and I headed south on 385 and 71. At highway 20 in Nebraska Wendell headed east to start his return to Florida while Rich (Windsong) and I turned west. After a brief stop at Fort Robinson, now a Nebraska state park for a quick look and some iced tea we headed over and down Nebraska 29 on our way to Torrington, WY. Here we had dinner at the best restaurant in town (Deacons) and decided we would see if we could get to the Denver area. This would put me home and put Rich at an easy days ride to his in New Mexico. On the way to Cheyenne it started to sprinkle, and to get dark. Not bad, but then it turned into a real rain at night. Well, I can deal with riding in rain, and riding at night, but I hate riding in the rain at night! I just cannot see well enough, especially when oncoming cars headlights are shining into my rain splattered helmet visor. So we got a motel room in Cheyenne and were glad - very glad - to get it and get off the road. The alarm went off at 5:00am Sunday morning and we loaded up and headed to Dennys for breakfast, then on south on I25. I got home a bit after 8 am, and Rich really turned the throttle on, trying to beat the rain. It was heading south as well. With the help of a 30mph tail wind for most of the way he got to Albuquerque around 4:30pm. For the most part he stayed ahead of the rain but did hit a half hours worth or so. We had a great time at Spearfish with both NT and ST owners.
I'll put my few photos up on the picture thread, but not tonight.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim Rau (Jungle Jim) and I are in Lovell, WY, at the Horseshoe Motel. The owner just washed and folded our clothes. We had a good meal, with a strange, strange man who accosted us in the parking lot after we came out of the motel office. He's heading for Alaska on a Suzuki TU-250. He talked non-stop for an hour and a half before we finally just walked away. Jim said that there's no way to explain what it was like being with this guy. I was talking to Joanne and telling her about him and when I said that he talked non-stop, she said (as I knew she would), REALLY??? But Jim will testify that this guy is way worse than I ever thought about being.

BTW, I was talking to Joanne on Jim's cell phone because I lost mine somewhere last night. I'd hoped it might be in the stuff I packed in the tent this morning, but no joy.

Joe, I'd vote for keeping the NTs and the STs together if the ST owners don't mind. We mingled better this year and I enjoyed getting to know some of them.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Joe, I'd vote for keeping the NTs and the STs together if the ST owners don't mind. We mingled better this year and I enjoyed getting to know some of them.
Okay, I'll do that as long as others agree... I just want to make sure it's okay and works with everyone, I know they don't mind at all.

I remember seeing the bottle of fuel when George was making breakfast with it - denatured alcohol - and thought to myself if he'd ever mistaken it for water, yeow... glad you didn't end up drinking all night long.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
ah... did Phil actually ride past the ND sign? If no, well :rofl1:

Rick, sometimes ya just gotta ride and relax and the documentation of it can simply be your own memories. I'm there often myself.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Hello all..I made it back to Spokane Saturday evening. The weather on the return was outstanding both days. I hated to leave on Friday, but it was unavoidable.
A special shout out to Ken, Rich, and Wendel. Our day riding together was awesome. The road construction, lunch in Hill City, Rushmore, Iron mtn Road, and a decent dinner that night. Thanks for the day.
I enjoyed meeting everyone (Well, most of you anyway. LOL) Joe, Rick, Jim, Kevin, Jim R., Phil and the gentleman from OK City (Sorry I forgot your name. Call it CRS) you are all interesting fellows and I learned a great deal from all of you.
I enjoyed being with the ST guys and getting to know a few of them, so I say let's keep the rallies on the same weekend.
Like Rick...I only took maybe 10 pics and my Go Pro was not operable when I really needed it to be, but I will post what I have.
Thanks everyone.
Len

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It was great to meet you too Len, glad to see you made it back home.

bicyclist

I'm in Prince George, BC. On Saturday, I rode over the Bighorns, through Cody, up to Red lodge and took 28 to Columbus and stayed at one of the best Super 8s I've been to. I'd planned to ride Chief Joseph and the Beartooth, but the weather was bad up there, so I skirted to the east of the mountains. The road between Red Lodge and Columbus, Rt 28 is one of my favorites. It's flung over the terrain in a most entertaining manner and the lack of traffic allows a bit of sportiness. The Super 8 is one of my favorites, too. Clean, comfortable, with homemade cookies and they cater to motorcyclists with a wash area and cleaning supplies.

On Sunday, I rode up to Calgary, AB. Today, it was 51? when I headed out for Prince George. Because I had planned to go through Calgary, I'd followed the story of the floods and had seen pictures of the Trans Canada washed away. They've done a remarkable job of repairing it. If you didn't know the extent of the damage, you probably wouldn't even notice the repairs. It's apparent that there has been road work, but it doesn't look like anything more than routine maintenance. Helluva job.

It rained off and on from Calgary to Jasper. The temp dropped to 41? on the Icefields Parkway. I'd have been sorely disappointed if I hadn't previously travelled the road. Couldn't see much. It cleared up and was a nice ride from Jasper to PG. There's not much civilization between the two. If you don't make the only gas stop in McBride, ya might end up walking.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
After stopping a few days to visit my elderly parents in KC, I arrived home today. I was glad to meet a few of you when I dropped by the campground on Wednesday for a short visit. There were also a few chance encounters with forum members along the way. One morning had breakfast with RedBird at the Perkins in Spearfish and then met RedNigel during the ride home across Nebraska. The heat in the Sandhills was brutal but had a pleasant ride across Missouri today on the final leg of the trip.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Chris and I made it back to Spokane for Supper last night (Mon). Sat we rode to Cody by way of the Bighorn Scenic Byway (14). Sunday morning to Yellowstone on Buffalo Bill Cody Scenic Byway (14). After a leisurely breakfast at Lake Yellowstone Hotel, we rode to and stopped in West Yellowstone for NFS campground information. We took 191 north to Red Cliff NFS Campground on the Gallatin River. Monday we followed 191 to 90 and back to Spokane.

A tip of the hat to Mellow. IMHO he again set the perfect non schedule. My vote is to keep the same format. I like the ST group and the interaction.

I had a great trip. Two National parks, a National Monument park, too many mountain ranges to list, airplane museum ... best of all ... familiar faces from last year and new familiar faces for next year. I will post pics on the picture thread. Thanks to all!

Attachments

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Chris,

Tim (taldric) did a SS1000 from Seattle area to Spearfish last year. He can give good info. Coyote Chris and I ran into MANY long road construction projects even in Glacier. Even with 75 mph speed limits, the two lane roads are slower. I don't think a route thru a NP would work if you were trying to do a SS1000. Only saw one deer along 90 from West Yellowstone to Spokane, but Chris and I too stains on the highway to count.
Joe

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
(still having internet problems)
Ditto to what Frosty says....if you want to do a SS1000, stick to Interstates...we have no idea if that was deer blood, people blood or both on the interstate....if you want to do a SS1000, that is your business....but we avoided animals and tire treads by being careful and driving alert....and not at night....that is very tough to do for 1,000 miles. We did 350-400 or so a day....that was enough for safety...Frosty is a good rider...I am a successful rider....but push your luck and the undertoad will get you.....just ask the safety expert for Rider magazine....oh wait...didn't a deer get him?
Sorry for the lecturing....I love my wife, I love life, and I enjoy touring....there is so much to live for and little to die for....
There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are few old, bold pilots....
Chris,

Tim (taldric) did a SS1000 from Seattle area to Spearfish last year. He can give good info. Coyote Chris and I ran into MANY long road construction projects even in Glacier. Even with 75 mph speed limits, the two lane roads are slower. I don't think a route thru a NP would work if you were trying to do a SS1000. Only saw one deer along 90 from West Yellowstone to Spokane, but Chris and I too stains on the highway to count.
Joe

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What Frosty said. When I have some time and a better connection, I will post my pics on photobucket....right now, I leave for Oshkosh in a week....
Had a great week with Frosty and the crew at Spearfish. I like the format except for that hideously hot night before the Devil's Tower run. I am glad Frosty left out the beautiful English Lady, the Swiss Girls, and the girls from the Netherlands...! I am no good at explaining them to my wife as it is...:doh1:
Chris and I made it back to Spokane for Supper last night (Mon). Sat we rode to Cody by way of the Bighorn Scenic Byway (14). Sunday morning to Yellowstone on Buffalo Bill Cody Scenic Byway (14). After a leisurely breakfast at Lake Yellowstone Hotel, we rode to and stopped in West Yellowstone for NFS campground information. We took 191 north to Red Cliff NFS Campground on the Gallatin River. Monday we followed 191 to 90 and back to Spokane.

A tip of the hat to Mellow. IMHO he again set the perfect non schedule. My vote is to keep the same format. I like the ST group and the interaction.

I had a great trip. Two National parks, a National Monument park, too many mountain ranges to list, airplane museum ... best of all ... familiar faces from last year and new familiar faces for next year. I will post pics on the picture thread. Thanks to all!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A few pics....a nice NT owner lets Chineese tourists take pics of them on his bike at Devil's Tower
An Irish guy (William)
Two old guys at Lake Yellowstone

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, when I actually planned the SS1000, I'd have come to the same conclusion...to take I-90. If I'd thought more before typing, I'd never have mentioned it. That route the two of you took, is beautiful. It'd be a shame to miss it by riding through without stopping, even though I planned to take it back. I may do a SS1000 before then anyway.

I did a SS1000 in June 2012 on my Burgman 400. It was basically an out and back from Seattle to Montana. I was surprised by the way it went. On the way back, I had been worried about falling asleep as I crossed Eastern Washington. In a car, it is boring. On my Burgman 400, that didn't happen. I was just amazed at the beauty of the scene as I traveled through Eastern Washington. It was like a several hour long prayer. I loved it.

I'd like to get that license plate frame on the NT to match the one on the Burgman 400. There's only one way to do it. And as much as I love riding a scenic back road with lots of twists and turns...an endurance ride has its own draw.

Chris
Glad you got there and back safe and sound. When I worked for the State Patrol, it was common knowledge that the area around Ritzville, which was in my area of operations, was famous for people falling asleep at the wheel.....
It takes me one nap to get to Seattle and two back! If you see an old motorcyclist sleeping on a picknick table, its probably me....!!!! Others can stay awake longer....:wink:
Sorry if I lecture anyone. When I retired from the patrol, I would go in and volunteer during the long winter months for a few hours a week. I would file away evidence in closed case folders, like pics of people laying by or in their cars
after a fatal wreck....its so sad...so many lives wasted for usually preventable reasons....

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks for checking in Wendell, glad to see everyone is making it back home one by one, it was great meeting you.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chris,
I plan to do an SS1000 on I-90 on the way to Spearfish next year. Will have to time it so that I spend as little time as possible riding at night. Deer, small animals and alligators (Tire pieces from trucks) are a real hazard. I do think it is doable in mostly daylight.

Top Bottom