3rd Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 10-13, 2013 - Spearfish, SD

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
OK, here's a teaser. I'm sitting in Spearfish at McDonalds. I'm running out of battery on the computer, so I won't do anything to the Blog until I get some charge in this thing. I'm here with BobAgain, Jim Moore, Rick (the Desert Cat). Jim, Rick, and I rode to North Dakota yesterday. Beautiful, legendary ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Some pics....

Attachments

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Thanks Mellow! Looks like a good time. Who had the big banner made for NT-Owners.org? That's NICE!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I had that done last year. It's been another great event so there's a always next year as it will be here again.

bicyclist

I'm here with BobAgain, Jim Moore, Rick (the Desert Cat).
Don't mind Phil, he's a little addled. He was sitting in McDonalds drinking his fourth coffee with Rick, Jim and me, not Bob.

It was 103? yesterday, down to a balmy 80 something today.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks for the pictures. Hopefully I'll make it next year. At least I have all the stuff I'll need.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ha! 103F is nothing! It was 107 as Rick, Jim Moore and I were coming back from ND. But yesterday, it was 10-degrees cooler in Rapid City than it had been on Thursday when Jungle Jim dropped off his bike for an 8K service and I picked him up. It got down into the 60s overnight and may rain this afternoon.

I might as well post it here first. Last night we were sitting around the table and Joe (Frosty) had some Jim Beam sitting there. I poured a shot and added some water and ice and thought that people who drink Jim Beam are crazy. It was the worst tasting bourbon I'd ever had. But I manfully choked it down.

This morning I got up and was ready for coffee. So I poured some of the same water into my cup and set it Wendell's stove. It was boiling almost instantly. Joe had given me a Starbuck's instant coffee and I poured it in. After a few minutes, I took a sip and spewed it out. It was awful! My first thought was that the "water" had been vodka. Then Jim Moore asked if it might be gin. Then he smelled it and said, "That's stove fuel!" One of the ST guys was just getting ready to leave and he piped up with, "That's my stove fuel!" He felt terrible. Then I asked what stove fuel will do to you and learned that it will make you go blind.

So now, I'll be worried for the whole Epic Ride that I'm about to go blind!

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Phil... you're killing me man! LOL!
:rofl1:

We're having a guys' poker night tonight, so we made a vodka-infused watermelon...should go over well. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Great event, let me know if yall still want it combined w/st event. Sometimes I feel that overpowers it all due to the numbers. Don't be shy.
I made it 775 miles today to Great Salt Plains SP in OK. Saw 110 again but it's only 100 now with a breeze so not bad really.

It was great seeing those that could make it.

Attachments

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I made it back to Dallas today about 5:30. 650 miles on Fri and 500 today.
I have to send a grateful shout out to Windsinthehills, one of our Forum members. He was one of the riders who stopped to help me when I ran out of gas 8 miles from Thedford. NE. with no phone service to call anyone or even look at a map to see if I could hoof it.
I forget his real name but he is from Poplar Bluffs, MO. He was very kind and friendly. Once he and his partner knew my problem they rode off without hesitation, and in less than 20 minutes they were back with a quart of gas for the bike and a pint of water for me

"you meet the nicest people on an NT"

They wouldn't accept payment for their kindness, they simply asked that I pay it forward when I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Got home today around 10:30... just 330-ish miles of solid rain.. LOL.. but it was cool.

Super event, I always look forward to this one.

Top Bottom