3rd Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 10-13, 2013 - Spearfish, SD

Its my wife's fault. She is a vampire....LOL. And its her birthday! Oh NO! That means I have to sleep with a 60 year old woman tonight!
Chris hanging on to his internet by his fingernails.....hurry repairman!
Chris, have you ever noticed how often we post next to each other late at night?

I had an 8K service a couple of weeks ago. I'm planning on putting a new set of PR3s on between the PNRR and the National to be ready for the Epic Ride.

I've mentioned, I think, that my friend Ken had been to Alaska, wearing out his tires in the process of getting to Anchorage. So, naturally, he bought a new motorcycle, a 2010 KTM Adventure 990, for $2600 less than invoice plus they threw in the $1600 Hepco and Becker luggage.

Ken is my mechanical consultant and I needed him today. Yesterday, I came out of the hospital after what I hope will be my last hospital visit for a bit and the bike wouldn't start. It turned over but wouldn't fire. I had just called Ken about swinging by his place to take a gander at the KTM. I called him back to tell him that I was stuck (a whole block from his house and he said he'd grab his jumper cables and be right there. After I hung up, I tried one more time and the bike fired up and ran OK the rest of the day.

This morning I'd had several errands to run and on the last one (which was a church-related chore -- getting tags and titles for our church's Scout troop's trailers), I came out and the bike wouldn't start. I finally found someone who could come to the court-house and try to jump me. But no matter how long we sat, voltage never got above 11.8 and the bike never fired. It would only turn over about 10-12 seconds before the solenoid started clicking.

I called Sun Honda and ran my theory that I had a battery issue past one of the service writers. He thought that sounded reasonable. They only had one battery in stock, so I put it on hold and drove to Denver to get it. When they brought it out, the polarity of the connectors was wrong and they said it was the battery the parts list called for. So I went up to service and got my mechanic to come out. He agreed with me about the orientation of the +/- poles on the battery and went down to parts to check it out. When he came up he pulled the battery out of the box and laid it on its side. That made the polarity correct. I had forgotten that it was a gel battery and could be oriented in different ways. I felt pretty stupid but the service manage said, "Not as stupid as you would have felt if you'd driven 130 miles and the battery didn't fit.

I told my mechanic what was going on and he said, "Man, I hope your fuel pump hasn't gone south."

I worried about that all the way home. I went down to the courthouse parking lot pulled the old battery and started trying to put the new one in. I couldn't get the positive connector bolt started and finally called Ken. He came and we fiddled for an hour before we got that done. The bike runs
fine, but I (more properly Ken) have wires to sort out. The Denalis aren't getting any power to the switch and the cruise control control pad stays lit even when the bike is turned off.

Ken's going to come over tomorrow and we'll work through the rat's nest of wiring I've got.

I'm so relieved that the fuel pump wasn't the issue. I was afraid the PNRR was out and worried about getting to Spearfish. I could just see sitting around two or three weeks waiting on a fuel
pump to get here from Italy or somewhere.

Last edited:
When they brought it out, the polarity of the connectors was wrong and they said it was the battery the parts list called for. So I went up to service and got my mechanic to come out. He agreed with me about the orientation of the +/- poles on the battery and went down to parts to check it out. When he came up he pulled the battery out of the box and laid it on its side. That made the polarity correct.

Oh, good, I'm not the only dummy.:doh1: I did the same thing and we wound up scratching our heads for a few minutes until we figured it out. The kicker is that the battery probably didn't need to be replaced. It was winter and the bike turned over slowly, so I checked it with my garage meter. It read low, so I decided to replace it figuring that the year the thing sat before I bought it probably didn't do the battery any good. When I stuck the new one in, I checked it with the meter and it read low, though not as bad. I was peeved, but decided to check it with my good basement meter and it measured fine. Seems that my garage meter is NFG.

By the way, part of my pre-ride service was to check the tightness of the battery connections (and hose clamps, etc.)

.... When they brought it out, the polarity of the connectors was wrong and they said it was the battery the parts list called for. So I went up to service and got my mechanic to come out. He agreed with me about the orientation of the +/- poles on the battery and went down to parts to check it out. When he came up he pulled the battery out of the box and laid it on its side. That made the polarity correct. ...

In 2011 picked up my new 2010 on the west side of the state and road it back to Spokane. Salesman said that they had installed a new battery. When I took the seat off at home it looked like wrong size battery since it was taller than the housing but narrower (worried about seat interference). No solution on line since it looked like polarity of other batteries were wrong. Honda technician scratched his head, went into the shop, returned and turned the battery on its side. Perfect fit. "You can do that?????", said the old guy.:doh1:

I was the "old guy" yesterday. Gel batteries are amazing. Remember how easy it was to spill acid out of one of the regular old wet-cell batteries?

Remember how easy it was to spill acid out of one of the regular old wet-cell batteries?

Yep, I made some fancy designer jeans that way....a couple of times....:rolleyes1: My other favorite was seeing acid etched center stands from poorly designed vent / overflow hose routing....

My '86 Intruder carried the battery at the lowest point under the center of the bike. It couldn't leak onto anything
Of course, I had to roll the bike onto a couple of 2x4s to get it out when it needed changing

Friend Ken's new KTM has the battery below the radiator in what looks a bit like an NT undercowl.

There's a character who goes by Cannonshot over on the ADV forum. He likes to do research on an area and then go out and ride it before posting very interesting and detailed ride reports. He did one on the Black Hills area that may be of interest to those attending the NT rally. The URL is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465632

Has anyone ridden hwy 16A that runs south and 87 that runs east to west below the Mt Rushmore area?
I want to ride down by Mt Rushmore and 16A/87 looks like a very interesting road to make a loop out of the day...Maybe swing by the Crazyhorse memorial

Last edited:
Yes, You have to ride 16A. If you don't then you don't get the Spearfish Merit Badge. That is one of the prerequisite for going to SpearFish. The best way to determine if a road is a good motorcycle road, is to pick the squiggleist line on the map and GO RIDE

Yes, You have to ride 16A. If you don't then you don't get the Spearfish Merit Badge. That is one of the prerequisite for going to SpearFish. The best way to determine if a road is a good motorcycle road, is to pick the squiggleist line on the map and GO RIDE

I have my heart set on making that run...I hope someone will ride with me!
And 16A looks like the squiggliest one I have seen yet

Not to worry. You won't be alone (although we don't ride in big groups, you won't have any problem getting 3 or 4 to go with you). I'm going to do a dumb kind of ride one of the days. I don't have North Dakota checked on my "states ridden in map" so I'm going to "dash" up there and back. It's not in a place I ever have any real reason to go and Spearfish is about as close as I'm likely to get to it for the next couple of years.

See ya' soon!

Travel plans

I'm planning my ride to Spearfish. I'm thinking of leaving on July 8 or 9 with no particular route in mind. Anyone from up this way headed that way?

Last year I rode (somewhat) straight to Spearfish and went home by way of Montana, but I'm open to suggestions. I could take a wandering way out and then ride straight home.

Jim,

I'm committed to a couple Dylan shows, one in Duluth July 9th and in St Paul the following night July 10th, otherwise it would;ve been fun to ride with and meet the gang in Spearfish. I flirted with blasting out there July 11th and back the 13th (have to work on the 14th) but just too much, and would have to blow off a good buddy;s bachelor party as well. Next time....

OK - thanks for the reply.

I saw a red NT at Bike Night at Sir Benedicts in Duluth a couple weeks ago. But your NT isn't red. Any idea who it was? They just rode by without stopping.

Not to worry. You won't be alone (although we don't ride in big groups, you won't have any problem getting 3 or 4 to go with you). I'm going to do a dumb kind of ride one of the days. I don't have North Dakota checked on my "states ridden in map" so I'm going to "dash" up there and back. It's not in a place I ever have any real reason to go and Spearfish is about as close as I'm likely to get to it for the next couple of years.

See ya' soon!

Funny you mention this Phil. Taldric and I almost did the exact thing. I think he didn't go because I wasn't enthusiastic about it and was nice enough to hang with me that day. If he shows up I am sure he would go with you. I would definitly consider it as well.

Back
Top Bottom