3rd Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 10-13, 2013 - Spearfish, SD

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, could the guy between you and Rick in the bottom picture be CSMRider, the Air Force guy from Cheyenne and Torrington. I'm still blank on his name. He was there, but camped in a pop-up trailer on the other side of the circle from us and I think may have left the day before most of us did.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Boy, I am drawing a blank...but then I have CRS (cant remember shoot) desease....that's why I think we all need nametags....or a group pic at the pizza feed where we can write down an put in everyone's first name for reference next year...
Chris, could the guy between you and Rick in the bottom picture be CSMRider, the Air Force guy from Cheyenne and Torrington. I'm still blank on his name. He was there, but camped in a pop-up trailer on the other side of the circle from us and I think may have left the day before most of us did.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You might be going to Spearfish if.....
OK, I will start...
You might be going to Spearfish if your living room looks like someone blew up the camping dept of an outdoor store....

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Well, guys, will have to take a rain check on Spearfish. We have had constant gully washers and T-Storms daily with more predicted. Oneida, NY is flooded and people are getting to their houses by boat. I had to make several detours because the roads were like rivers. Seems that the farther West I got the worse it got. I did make it to Syracuse NY to my sister's an exhausted drowned rat. The last time I saw rain like that was in Vietnam during the Monsoon season.

Now that I have all my equipment, I'll be ready next year. Right now I would have to do 500 miles plus a day to make it with rain predicted the next five days. I think I'll play it safe. Am still not totally up to par endurancewise.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Alex,
I am sorry that I will not get to meet you, but I agree with your assessment. Discomfort, fatigue, weather and traffic all conspire to compromise safety. Please let us know if you will be heading this way on any other trips. I plan to see you next year.

kenstone

Sailariel:
Sorry to here that, as I am amazed at how many miles people here rack up.

Where I live, any road trip other than heading north, is superslab straight and mostly flat, with the only good thing being it only rains a few days a year.
Throw in the high winds and heat and I'll opt for plan B.
I have found having a trailer and something to tow it with for a plan B has it's advantages.

That and most "trips" are with my son, who has limited vacation time, and we cannot wait a week for the rain to pass.
I try not to ride in the rain and park it if caught, get a room, or camp until it passes, if need be.

I guess I could be considered a wimp and my bikes trailer queens, but my riding is mostly putting around looking at stuff I want to see, riding roads that are interesting, not on a death march trying to get someplace on a schedule.
But that's just me, I am not a high mileage road warrior, and admire those who are.
I most likely will be trailering to Spearfish, even though it's only 800+ miles, and look forward to meeting all the good people who will be there.
Ken
Edited to add:
Oh, yeh, it's been over 100 degrees here for a week, with new fires started every night via dry lightening!
I never ridden thru smoke, except on a bicycle in florida...not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Sorry to hear that, Alex. But the best decision is often the "no-go" decision. I hope it dries out enough that I can get there to see you in late August or early September.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Alex - With so many unique individuals planning to attend Spearfish, the loss of even one is a shame. Sorry we won't have the opportunity to meet, shake hands, and swap war stories.
My plans have changed too after a trial camping run last week, and I will not be camping. Too much junk to get all of it on board, so I will be motelling this year after all.
Best wishes for your trip next year!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sorry to miss you Alex. I'm sure you could make it, but it is supposed to be a fun trip. If it ain't fun - don't do it. Your description of the rain rung my bell. If it is raining as hard as a Vietnam monsoon, that's more than anyone should ride in. Stay healthy for the next trip.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
7/5/2013
Getting started later than I wanted, but looking at KSU at 0630...475 miles to Tucumcari and points beyond. See everyone in Spearfish!
PS
See you Phil in Briggsdale!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It's a nice cool start compared to what we've been seeing so great timing. See you in just a few days.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just as a reminder, if you are taking back roads to the rally, be sure to check with the states you are going through.
Montana has a number of 7-9 mile sections of construction that are marked "motorcycles consider another route"...
http://roadreport.mdt.mt.gov/map/

I too am sorry to not seeing Alex....

bicyclist

Safe in tucumcari but left pannier latch malfunctioned and broke upon arrival
I'm in Montrose, CO, at the Western Motel until Mon morning. If you're coming thru here, I might be able to help.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Bike is checked out
Pre-load is adjusted
GPS has all of my various destinations programmed in and Bluetooth sync'd to the Cardo G-4
Go Pro Hero is mounted and charged
Tank is full and gear is loaded
Gear is loaded and strapped down

See you all Wednesday. Safe riding.
Len

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Weezer (Wee 650) is serviced and packed. Being that SpearFish is only 400 miles from my place and I am going to Bell Motel it, I am traveling light. Only need the top box with my clothes for four days. Will be there Thursday with some of my ST buddies. Looking forward to riding some of the dirt roads and double track trails around the area. See you all there. Ride safe.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I started heading North-East today. Today was an easy ride from Eureka CA to Lakeview OR As some of you know I left my house June 27th. :). I have spent quite a few days in the saddle and covered 2900 miles so far. More direct routes from home are less than 900 miles but do not include Ruedi, Moab, Yosemite, and riding up the California coast on highway 1.

I am ahead of schedule a bit and will kill some time at Yellowstone and make it to Spearfish on the 10th. See everyone there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Sounds like you're having a great ride, Kevin! See you Wednesday afternoon!

Top Bottom