6th Nat'l NT Rally - July 6-9, 2016 - Spearfish, SD

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hey Phil.You got a car? Drive up. We are just going to sit in the camp site and socialize anyway. We have all ridden all the good roads before and I hear they are re-paving Spearfish Canyon. So drive up.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
OMG Phil! this sucks! You know me and you can imagine where you would be visiting me if that was mine!! some jack leg mech and service manager would be wearing imprintsof finaldrie gear on their head at a minumin!

A 19 hour ride home and maybe through spearfish and a quick airplane ride might be sble to solve the provlem and let
Dudley retire and be a parts donorI am not sure I would be buying NOTHER Honda IF MOTHER Honda WILL NOT TAKE SERIOUS ACTION AGAINST THE SDUMBO DEALERSHIPS. oN THE OTHER HAND YOUR SUN Honda HAS BEEN VERY GOOD TO YOU ITH SERVICE ETC.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Kevin, Sun Honda is where I bought my bike and they've done a good job of all the service they've provided and given me outstanding warranty service during the five years of my extended warranty service.

But the tires were installed by Wild West Harley/Honda in Greeley. I was leaving on a trip and Sun couldn't get me in for a tire change until four or five days after I needed to leave. Wild West got me in the next day after the tires came. But I don't think they'll do any more work for me. It's been 8,600 miles and 10 months since they did the work. I have no confidence that they'd do anything about making it good.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, if I had any other issues with my bike, and if had $6-7K available right now, I'd be buying a ticket to Seattle. But I don't. The bike still runs great and I haven't really had any issues with it except for two dealerships (one in Gainesville, FL, and one in Greeley, CO) that didn't bother to lube the splines.

I've got some other rides planned this summer and I can afford them if I save the money I'd spend driving to Spearfish. So, sorry, everyone. I'll miss you more than you'll miss me.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sorry to hear that we will miss our "Main Man Phil" at Spearfish this year. The drop out rate for the rally is skyrocketing this year. But it will be nice to meet some new faces too.

Phil, I'd be furious with Wild West Harley/Honda about their omission. I think it is strange that there would be that much damage in just 8K miles. Were the splines actually dry? That moly paste lasts a long time. It would be worth giving them a call and see if you could get them to admit that they didn't know about lubing the splines. Then I'd contact Honda and let them know what their dealer didn't do.

Maybe the rest of us on here should take a lesson and give service shops WRITTEN instructions when getting a rear tire mounted. Then if they didn't add the lube we would at least have a louder argument about repair costs.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I think it is strange that there would be that much damage in just 8K miles. Were the splines actually dry? That moly paste lasts a long time.
I agree. I've had other shaft drive bikes and none of them required lubing at every tire change. I've also never seen all the moly missing except when it was intentionally cleaned off, a nasty job :rolleyes1:, prior to a re-lube on my BMW at 30k miles! Something else may be going on here...I'd make sure they check the driveshaft alignment very closely...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
We are just a few weeks out now so as a reminder, if you are camping, to:

Please call (605-642-2239) or email (chriscampground@gmail.com)
to let them know how many are coming please provide
# of people in your group
# of tents
Special needs such as electricity
vehicle i.e. bike, RV, bike w/trailer etc.
Mention the ST/NT Rally

If you're camping please be sure to call or email the campground with information above.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am trying to get my head around what happened to Phil. It would appear to me that 10 months and 8000 miles ago someone of course should have lubed the splines but even if they didnt, that someone should have inspected the splines. Even if they were in good shape and had a minimum of lube, they shouldnt have been torn up that soon. So, what kind of shape were the splines in 10 months ago? Once a system like that gets worn, further wear can occur very quickly. I just put on new tires by having a dealer do the actual tire mounting and me taking the wheels on and off....my splines look good at 20,000 miles as well they should.....now I gotta wonder about others here with high milage and what their splines now look like? Well lubed splines and non-agressive driving should mean long life. Phil, I think Chris is right.....its a mute point now but I would have looked for another used low miles NT. What is the repair going to cost you? What else is gonna go...maybe something that could even hurt you?
Time to say Goodbye?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Well, it looks like I am out this year. I was prepping for the trip and doing stuff around the house and noticed a couple bulges in the roof. The roof is under warranty so need to call them when the open after the 4th. My A/C unit is acting up too. When I first noticed the roof issue I was just going to deal with the house stuff afterwards, but after sleeping on it I have decided that I had better stay here and take care of the house first. I won't bore you with all the details but there have been many little things trying to get in the way of the trip this year, so the roof was just the final straw so to speak.

Hope everyone has a safe enjoyable trip.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Wow Phil, sorry to hear about your final drive problem. There is one on eBay right now, see eBay item number:311581408095 they want $299 plus $45 shipping. Mikes in Ohio is the place. Just fyi. My in-laws should arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to spending time with them, though I was planning to go to Spearfish until they asked if they could come visit.

Perhaps this drive unit would cost you less overall?

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phil, a few more: eBay item number:371098258680 and eBay item number:161718985757 and eBay item number:301673076883 and Bay item number:152113059275

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
final drive problem. There is one on eBay right now, see eBay item number:311581408095
Good find Ken. Used parts from NTs are not as readily available as some other (more common) bikes. Parting out a bike is a real pain. Keeping track of all the parts, advertising, packaging and shipping, and storing them all take tiime. But I'm glad some folks do it.

We will miss you at Spearfish this year. Hope you have a good visit with your in-laws.

OH, and Kevin, we will miss you too. Too bad about your house maintainence issues. Riding a motorcycle is way more fun.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Kevin,
Sorry that we will not see you this year. Take care.
Packed for morning departure.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, you may be right. Except for the fact that AFAIK there's nothing wrong with the bike except for the final drive. Brakes, clutch, engine, transmission all seem good. Forks are good, shock has less than 10,000 miles on it. I couldn't have found another lower-mileage NT for the $1500 that the repair's going to cost. I think I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask if they'll install a used part. Problem is that I think they've already ordered the final drive. We're also going to talk about what could have made the splines go away that quickly.

Next time I'll do some looking on EBay. I hadn't thought of that.

A friend who had a BMW R1150S had a final drive failure 3 weeks after his 6-month warranty on the used bike ran out. BMW was asking for $2200 to replace it and he found a used final drive (after searching for about 6 months -- turns out that there were four or five different final drives used on that year of R1150 bike) and got it for $275. It's still working fine for him.

Bike
2011 NT
Was looking forward to meeting you Phil. Maybe next year. Got everything lined up and ready to go. Had to line up a cat sitter. Raining here this morning but supposed to be dry tomorrow. Other wise the rest of the week is dry and not to hot.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Sorry you won't be able to make it Phil, Maybe Sun will give you a loaner bike?:shrug2: Going to miss your campfire commentaries. The FeeJeR is all pack, gassed, and ready to head out in the morning. Going to be staying at the Bell Motel. See you all tomorrow evening.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Camped at Red field SD tonight. Only 300 miles to go tomorrow so I may be the first one in camp - again. That will give me all afternoon to organize campfire conversation supplies. IV

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mellow, a friend of mine, Larry Hull, who lives just east of Sturgis and rides an NC700X rode over today to try to make contact with folks at the Rally and the owner of Chris's Campground told him he didn't know anything about a motorcycle group coming to Chris's this week. I told Larry that I knew you guys were coming and that most of you would be there tomorrow. I also realized that I don't know your last name.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Mellow, a friend of mine, Larry Hull, who lives just east of Sturgis and rides an NC700X rode over today to try to make contact with folks at the Rally and the owner of Chris's Campground told him he didn't know anything about a motorcycle group coming to Chris's this week. I told Larry that I knew you guys were coming and that most of you would be there tomorrow. I also realized that I don't know your last name.
Joe Norris. AKA Mellow

Top Bottom