9th Nat'l NT Rally - June 19-22, 2019 - Spearfish, SD

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow. Weather for Thursday is looking perfect! Cant wait to see you guys. Make sure Phil doesnt run out of stories before I get there. :)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Beautiful day of riding- - until I got to South Dakota then it turned into scud dodging and I ran out of options just east of the Missouri.

I should be to camp around noon Thursday

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was thinking the same thing and ended up sitting in my room at Bell’s tonight. Was looking at the projected weather and it looked like starting noonish Tuesday I would run into storms the second half of my ride getting here. So I left Vegas at 9 PM Monday figuring I would stop in Rawlings WY Tuesday and hole up overnight until Wednesday morning. Made good time to Rawlings and no rain when I got there so decided Casper sounded good. No rain in Casper so went on to Gillette. Got wet doing that but by the time I got there I figured “What’s another 90 miles”. So got the room for tonight too and arrived around 4 PM. 1025 miles. Hey, I had to see if I could do it on my new Russell seat I got last week. 😉
Congratulations, Rick! I'm in Rm 126 at Bell's. Hope you guys call soon about supper!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just a though. Kevin and Mellow know about such things but there is an app called "slack" where a group of folks with fones can join a group and everything they post on the app goes to all members. So if someone posts," Gonna meet at Perkins at 8am" everyone at Bells and Chris' gets the message. Great for herding cats.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Good pix, Andy! Thanks for taking them!

Today, Randy Webb (Buckwheat on the Forum) and I rode back roads to Sturgis and spent about an hour in the Motorcycle Museum there. It was fairly impressive. Lots of Harley's (of course), but there were Indians, Hendersons, Simplexes, Nortons, Vincents, Hondas, Triumphs, and A Cushman motor scooter just like the one my dad bought when we lived on Graham AFB in Marianna, FL. IIRC, it had a 4 1/2 hp Briggs & Stratton. There was a pedal to kick start it, another on the right side for the (rear wheel?) brake. It had a centrifugal clutch that sometimes would get pretty stinky when I was starting and stopping a lot on my paper route on the base. I have seen lots of Cushman scooters, but had never seen one like the one we had until today. Randy and I rode the St Onge road and it was a pretty ride.

Today it has only rained a few drops, but it's been too cool for comfort all week. I'm fine on the bike when I've got the Warm'n'Safe heated jacket on under my 'Stitch, but just sitting around is on the chilly side.

We had a the pizza party tonight and want to thank the benefactor who bought the pizza!!

Between standing for an hour at the museum and going up and down a long flight of stairs and then standing for 45 minutes or so before leaving the campground to come back to Bell's, my knees feel like I've taken a beating today. Oh, well...

Another thing that happened today was that I sold my REI Half-Dome 4 tent and my Big Agnes sleeping bag and mattress system to Jim Moore. My camping days are over and Joanne will be happy to get a couple of things we don't use out of the house!

Tomorrow, I'm going to hang around and then leave Sunday morning and ride to Newcastle, WY, to go to church with the congregation I served as an interim pastor for four months in '16. Riding on home to Greeley sounds like it could be another afternoon of dodging thunderstorms. But at least it will be a cool rain....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Made it home fine. Pulled out of the Bell at 0500 hours and had the Spearfish Canyon all to my self and the deer, that keep trying to impend my progress home. Right at 400 miles 7.25 hours on the road including .5 hours for one gas stop and breakfast. Glad I came was great seeing folks that I don't get to see very often. Missed seeing you, Frosty. But I understand. You and your family have my best wishes.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
490 Miles today and into MN. Rain the last 100 miles or so. 300 more miles tomorrow.

I now know how Watertown got its name. I may have beat the rain if I hadn’t stayed for breakfast with the crew this AM but the high quality BS was worth it.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Thanks to Artemedes, CoyoteChris, JMoore, and ChuckKLRST for their assistance in diagnosing the snatchy, jerky throttle on my CB500X.

And especially Chuck Henderson for advising to take all the slack out of the throttle cable. It WORKED and I have a new bike again that I can enjoy riding! Gracias, mi amigo!!

Great to have knowledgeable and concerned friends who offered BETTER help than 2 Honda dealerships who couldn’t figure it out!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It was great to see so many friends and make new ones. I'm leaving in the morning, stopping for church in Newcastle (where I was an interim pastor for 4 months in '16) and then riding home to Greeley. It kinda' sounds like I have a chance of missing the rain in Colorado by hanging around in Newcastle till close to noon.

Frosty, we missed you!

Jim Rau (junglejim), Coyote Chris, Chuck Henderson figuring things out.

Jim Moore and Jim Rau

Mellow giving away the swag

It was a good rally! Hope to see more of you next year!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Even though I didn't ride much after arriving at camp, I still enjoyed seeing everyone and it was nice to just hang around camp.

I really like the seat Jim M. gave me. I used it the entire way home. 14.5 hours.

I made it home safe and sound. First time riding the Super Tenere at night for more than just a few miles. Lights were really pretty good. I could see well and nobody flashed their brights at me.

I was checking the weather at each stop and knew that the chance of thunderstorms increased as I got closer to home. I had my rain suit on and was ready. Dodged most of it through SD and NE, but the last couple of hours were rain with some neat looking chain lightning.

Off to bed.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I am sorry that was unable to make it this year. I was very happy to see that the original usual suspects were there and am sorry that I missed all.
The change that I did notice from photos was that people were wearing coats. That is quite a departure from previous years.
Hope that everyone arrives home safely.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Got home just a bit ago today.. had to punch through some Oklahoma storms which was not fun.. the tail wind yesterday into OK was nice and I was getting 50+ mpg at a brisk pace... this morning that was 33mpg with a strong headwind.

Great event as usual... Great to see new faces to put to names as well as returning faces. Will try to push this one week later next year... it was nice to beat the heat, maybe a week later and we'll dodge some of the rain as well.

Thanks to everyone that showed up and helped out and thanks to Chris' Campground for providing a great place for this event.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
At Cody. Weather for Beartooth 2marrow not looking good so will probably just ride through Yellowstone and aim bike home.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am sorry that was unable to make it this year. I was very happy to see that the original usual suspects were there and am sorry that I missed all.
The change that I did notice from photos was that people were wearing coats. That is quite a departure from previous years.
Hope that everyone arrives home safely.
You were greatly missed
Cool for sure but I liked that. Next year the rally is later so I can shoot Quigley and make rally. Mellow is really a great guy. :)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It was great to see so many friends and make new ones. I'm leaving in the morning, stopping for church in Newcastle (where I was an interim pastor for 4 months in '16) and then riding home to Greeley. It kinda' sounds like I have a chance of missing the rain in Colorado by hanging around in Newcastle till close to noon.

Frosty, we missed you!

Jim Rau (junglejim), Coyote Chris, Chuck Henderson figuring things out.

Jim Moore and Jim Rau

Mellow giving away the swag

It was a good rally! Hope to see more of you next year!
Thanks for pics! NT is getting taller every year. May need a tricyle soon.

Attachments

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Made it home fine. Pulled out of the Bell at 0500 hours and had the Spearfish Canyon all to my self and the deer, that keep trying to impend my progress home. Right at 400 miles 7.25 hours on the road including .5 hours for one gas stop and breakfast. Glad I came was great seeing folks that I don't get to see very often. Missed seeing you, Frosty. But I understand. You and your family have my best wishes.

WHERE IS MY PHOTO CREDIT???!!!

Top Bottom