9th Nat'l NT Rally - June 19-22, 2019 - Spearfish, SD

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Made it home today (Sunday) PM. I loaded up the bike at 5:00 AM in hopes of beating the rain home 300 miles away. But it was foggy and I crawled along at 30 - 40 mph at first. Then the fog lifted and it started raining. When the rain changed from inconvenient to dangerous I stopped for breakfast about 9:00 MA. Then, still raining but lighter I continued until it became too heavy again and stopped. I repeated that about 6 times. I got kicked out of shelter at a car wash and a canopy at a medical facility entrance (that was closed). The 300 mile 5-hour ride (according to Google) took me 9 hours but I made it OK.

Not to be outdone by Chuck's great photos - here is my homecoming photo.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Made it home today (Sunday) PM. I loaded up the bike at 5:00 AM in hopes of beating the rain home 300 miles away. But it was foggy and I crawled along at 30 - 40 mph at first. Then the fog lifted and it started raining. When the rain changed from inconvenient to dangerous I stopped for breakfast about 9:00 MA. Then, still raining but lighter I continued until it became too heavy again and stopped. I repeated that about 6 times. I got kicked out of shelter at a car wash and a canopy at a medical facility entrance (that was closed). The 300 mile 5-hour ride (according to Google) took me 9 hours but I made it OK.

Not to be outdone by Chuck's great photos - here is my homecoming photo.
Glad you got home ok!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Mellow, I should have left that tea in the garbage can. Spiked lemonaide is much better.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim and Chris and Mellow, I'm sorry you guys had such crummy weather. It was nice riding to Newcastle this morning even if it was cool. I wore my Warm'n'Safe heated jacket all week and rode with it plugged in and the heat just cracked a little bit most of the time. It's a strange summer everywhere I've been.

I enjoyed seeing friends in church at Newcastle. I had parked around the corner from the church because I didn't want to be on the hill that's in front of the church. I walked to the bike and just as I got there, it started pouring rain. Fortunately, there was a business with a covered entryway where I could get into my 'Stitch. It rained until I was about 1/2 mile south of town. It was windy all the way home, but that wind gradually veered (a clockwise direction change; when the wind "backs," its direction changes counter-clockwise) so that I had a strong tailwind, which is always nice. I only had to stop for gas once and still have a couple of gallons in the tank. I managed to miss rain, but had wet roads at Chugwater and in Cheyenne. It had rained on and off all day in Greeley, but had stopped about two hours before I got home.

Thanks again for everyone who was at the rally. It was a good time!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sorry I missed the trip. Got number one son moved to Cleveland and got home late last nite. From what I have read on the forum, it sounds like everyone bugged out early to avoid the rain. Hope everyone had a safe, fun trip.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I must be messed up. I am seeing two threads for spearfish.... double vision?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks to Artemedes, CoyoteChris, JMoore, and ChuckKLRST for their assistance in diagnosing the snatchy, jerky throttle on my CB500X.

And especially Chuck Henderson for advising to take all the slack out of the throttle cable. It WORKED and I have a new bike again that I can enjoy riding! Gracias, mi amigo!!

Great to have knowledgeable and concerned friends who offered BETTER help than 2 Honda dealerships who couldn’t figure it out!
Great to see you, Yoda! Come back!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It was great to see so many friends and make new ones. I'm leaving in the morning, stopping for church in Newcastle (where I was an interim pastor for 4 months in '16) and then riding home to Greeley. It kinda' sounds like I have a chance of missing the rain in Colorado by hanging around in Newcastle till close to noon.

Frosty, we missed you!

Jim Rau (junglejim), Coyote Chris, Chuck Henderson figuring things out.

Jim Moore and Jim Rau

Mellow giving away the swag

It was a good rally! Hope to see more of you next year!
Good pics! Thanks.

Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
From the "Better Late Than Never" posting option....

I haven't logged into the forum since I left Bell's at sunrise last Sunday. I looked at weather forecasts and decided Colorado was a no-go along with Yellowstone and Beartooth forecasting rain and possible snow. So I headed straight home to Las Vegas via Gillette, Casper, Rawlins, then I-80 west to Salt Lake City and I-15 south to Vegas. Was chilly until Casper but then warmed up. Some rain was forecast after Casper but even though there were several times I could see it pouring 10 - 20 miles across the plains from me, I was never in it. Got to Provo UT and it was clear and sunny and already in the 80's. So I kept coming. Got home just after sundown but still light outside. Another 1026 miles. I've discovered an SS1K on my Spyder is a LOT easier than on my NT, even though I have to stop about every 160 - 170 miles on the Interstate with the Spyder 'cos it sucks gas like crazy at 75 MPH and higher.

Had a great time at the rally despite feeling like I was freezing due to the 60-degree temp difference I'm used to this time of year (it was 46-degrees when I left Bell's Sunday morning and 107 in Vegas when I pulled into my garage Sunday night). Glad everybody had a safe trip home despite all the crazy weather encountered along the ways.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
From the "Better Late Than Never" posting option....

I haven't logged into the forum since I left Bell's at sunrise last Sunday. I looked at weather forecasts and decided Colorado was a no-go along with Yellowstone and Beartooth forecasting rain and possible snow. So I headed straight home to Las Vegas via Gillette, Casper, Rawlins, then I-80 west to Salt Lake City and I-15 south to Vegas. Was chilly until Casper but then warmed up. Some rain was forecast after Casper but even though there were several times I could see it pouring 10 - 20 miles across the plains from me, I was never in it. Got to Provo UT and it was clear and sunny and already in the 80's. So I kept coming. Got home just after sundown but still light outside. Another 1026 miles. I've discovered an SS1K on my Spyder is a LOT easier than on my NT, even though I have to stop about every 160 - 170 miles on the Interstate with the Spyder 'cos it sucks gas like crazy at 75 MPH and higher.

Had a great time at the rally despite feeling like I was freezing due to the 60-degree temp difference I'm used to this time of year (it was 46-degrees when I left Bell's Sunday morning and 107 in Vegas when I pulled into my garage Sunday night). Glad everybody had a safe trip home despite all the crazy weather encountered along the ways.

IMG_1303.JPG
Wish you would have come with me over the Big Horns (yes, I know you dont camp). Weather was fine. Yellowstone had some clouds but I had a good time there also.....I seem to luck out on the weather....I missed the bad weather by a day but yes, I canceled the Beartooth as the weather up there wasnt too good. Pics of Yelloowstone and Bighorns.

Attachments

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have mentioned previously that our speed limits are strictly enforced here in Victoria Australia, so it is extremely difficult to cover long distances in a day unless you want to ride before sunup and after sundown. 1000 miles (1600km) in a day is possible but takes a LONG time.
I read today that our State Government is proposing to reduce the speed limits even further. The Outer Freeway limit may be reduced from 110kph to 100kph. Middle Freeways (outer suburbs) are 100kph and will remain the same. Inner Freeways are already at 80kph. Country roads with a single lane each way is proposed to be reduced from 100kph to 80kph.
In a nutshell, it is going to take even longer to get anywhere.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Boy, that would be frustrating! The 100kph isn't too bad, but I'd hate to cross Australia at 80kph.

Top Bottom