Aerostich Roadcrafter is now available in women's sizes

elizilla

There are no "long" or "short" sizes - just regular. And they don't have very many sizes. But it's a positive step and maybe the alterations will get me there. I just sent them an email.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It's about time. I know a few women who wear their products as is, but they'd prefer womens cuts. Good luck with your alterations. The generally do pretty well on them. But a friend of mine just bought a riding suit there (he is tall and skinny) and he had to make some consessions to get a good fit. They couldn't/wouldn't alter the one he wanted.

I also know Aeorstich is making some big changes in the last year or so (modernization and remodeling). I think it has something to do with being more competitive in the market place and showing a better bottom line for the company. They had me make some conference tables for them, probably because they didn't want to pay the big bucks for high-end stuff. (I always bid too low) From what I've seen at Aerostich there aren't a lot of frills there.

Because I only live 45 miles from Duluth I've spent a lot of $$$ in that store. They have pretty good stuff, but it isn't the cheapest out there.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I bought my 'stich in 2008 (while at the VBR). I would love to have another one made in a woman's size, but I just can't justify spending the $$ on one right now.

OP
OP

elizilla

I bought a 'stich in 1999. Wore it out, but when it came time to replace it I went for the custom leathers. I miss the all-weather qualities of the 'stich, and I miss the ease of donning/doffing. But I do not miss being severely hampered by the fit. The 'stich was so hampering that it kept me off sportbikes - I couldn't bend my body to reach the bars, while wearing it, because it was too tight from knee to hips. And I don't miss the noise and buffeting from having so much excess material around my shoulders and upper arms, flapping in the wind.

If they can make me a one piece that doesn't have those problems, I'll blow my budget and buy it in a heartbeat. Right now my main concern is that they don't have a "long" version for women. Assuming they will still lengthen arms and legs on the women's suit like they do on the men's suit, it might be workable. They don't have a torso lengthening alteration but I only need an inch there - maybe the back ellipse will be enough. If not, maybe I will buy just the jacket.

Raycad

Isn't the Roadcrafter a bit "pass?"? Last 18 years, I've had two red one-piece and I liked them in spite of not being totally waterproof; after a couple of drenchings, I carried a rainsuit for heavy rain forecasts.

This spring, I graduated to a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants. I'm very pleased with them, comfortable and supposedly totally waterproof. I was totally dry all summer and despite a few showers during a 3500-mile trip to Arkansas (had faith, didn't pack a rainsuit!). And I like tremendously the two-piece; I can go to a restaurant with only the pants on, which don't look too bad by themselves.

And FirstGear has women's sizes too, but, unfortunately, no short or tall variations, although those are available for men. Apparently, all women are supposed to be the same height? But maybe the regular sizes should be tried on first....

Ray

OP
OP

elizilla

Isn't the Roadcrafter a bit "pass?"? Last 18 years, I've had two red one-piece and I liked them in spite of not being totally waterproof; after a couple of drenchings, I carried a rainsuit for heavy rain forecasts.

This spring, I graduated to a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants. I'm very pleased with them, comfortable and supposedly totally waterproof. I was totally dry all summer and despite a few showers during a 3500-mile trip to Arkansas (had faith, didn't pack a rainsuit!). And I like tremendously the two-piece; I can go to a restaurant with only the pants on, which don't look too bad by themselves.

And FirstGear has women's sizes too, but, unfortunately, no short or tall variations, although those are available for men. Apparently, all women are supposed to be the same height? But maybe the regular sizes should be tried on first....

Ray
Do you think I am simply assuming that the regular gear doesn't fit, without even trying? Believe me I shop hard. :) Three or four times a year I visit Iron Pony, where they have ALL the commodity gear, and I try on just about everything. Once in a very great while, something does fit. This year I found a Scorpion mesh jacket in a women's size with long enough sleeves, and bought it in spite of the terrible color and high price, because I know I can't be picky about non-essential things like color or price. I have a pair of Olympia overpants in a women's regular size, that fit. And I have an Olympia AST jacket in a men's medium - it's, well, it's OK. Tight at the hips even with the zippered hip gissets open, but not unworkably tight -I can't wear the liner, but that's true with every jacket liner ever - throwing away the liners is the secret trick to making a lot of riding gear fit. Olympia sent me some fabric so I can expand those hip gussets sometime, and if I ever get around to finishing that, I might be able to use the liner too.

I've tried on the Kili jackets and liked the Olympia better.

Years ago I bought a Roadcrafter and wore it out in spite of the fit annoyances. It is certainly the most convenient piece of riding gear I've ever owned, in spite of the leaks, and the leaks would be much less if not for the fit problems. I'm willing to give it another shot. We'll see how close the standard size suit is to fitting. I'm willing to spend the cost of shipping it back and forth just to find that out.

I like my two piece custom leathers - I do the same thing you do, take off the jacket and wear the pants while I eat lunch. And since they're custom, I don't have any fit problems whatsoever. They are 100% non-hampering, which makes them different from every type of textile gear I have ever owned.

I'm always going to have trouble with this stuff, though. I'm a minority (tall) of a minority (women) of a minority (picky about safety features) of a minority (rides in foul weather) of riders. Way out on the end of the curve, many times over. There aren't enough like me for any company to serve us as anything but an afterthought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just wore my two-piece Roadgear outfit, Xtreme Jacket and Xcaliber pants, on my "Dust in the Wind Tour." I wasn't rained on, but it would have kept me completely dry (based on another ride to Wichita and back in pouring rain). It's comfortable, and with the liners installed in the pants and jacket, it's kept me warm down to 10F with the addition of my heated jacket.

But, if the temperature's going to be above 30F, I'll choose my 'Stitch every time. Granted, I can leave the pants on with the 2-piece, but I can get into and out of the 'Stitch in about the same amount of time I can get into just the jacket from Roadgear. I've never had the dreaded crotch leak with my 'Stitch. The only time I've gotten wet wearing it I had the hip vent, the back vent, and the underarm vent open in a very strong rain with a 90-degree crosswind. When we stopped after about 50 miles, I was only wet near those vents, although my cotton t-shirt, shorts, and underwear wicked the rain all the way around.

The 'Stitch is the most comfortable and handiest riding wear I've owned. I didn't wear it to Kansas only because the zipper slide on the right leg broke and I didn't have time for it to get to Duluth and back before the trip.

It goes in the mail to them Friday.

Passe'? I hardly think so.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Believe me I shop hard.
You might check with Teiz about their Revolution, which is designed for women and made to your measurements. http://store.teizms.com/revolution There are a variety of colors, and based on my experience, their quality is equal to that of the Roadcrafter, and the customer service at Teiz is vastly superior to what I've experienced from Aerostich. And, they will send you a standard size to examine and try on before you order.

I'm not knocking the Roadcrafter; after all, for many people its cachet, history, and tradition make it the only choice. But for someone who shops for design, materials, and cost, I think it would be a mistake to ignore a small company established specifically to modernize the "traditional" suit and sell it at a cost that provides an excellent option for the customer.

This past summer I wore mine for a bit over 8000 miles, on a trip from New Orleans to Seattle and back, by way of most of the states west of the Mississippi. Temperatures ranged from a humid 104 when I left home, to 38 in Rocky Mountain State Park, and back up to 114 south of Las Vegas. I encountered strong wind almost everywhere in the great plains, including reported 65-70 mph gusts on I-40 in West Texas. I rode through thunderstorms in New Mexico, snow storms in Colorado, and heavy fog on Hwy 101 in California. At all times I was able to adjust the extensive venting system to remain "comfortable." When I need a new suit, which I don't expect will be any time soon, Teiz will be the first brand I consider. I have no connection with Teiz, but if they ever go public, I would certainly purchase stock. I have no problem recommending the company, their customer service, or their merchandise.

By the way, they are changing their warehouse location, and have some excellent prices for suits they don't want to move to the new location.

YMMV
Ken

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I never knew that protective gear could be in or out of style....????
Well.... I wouldn't want to be wearing what passed for "protective gear" in the 50's, 60's, 70's, or even what I wore in the 80's, so I would say it can go "out of style". Check out the protective gear below, that was high tech protection and style in the 60's...:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wecnwise/8082591035/http://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wecnwise/8082586158/http://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
LOL, Warren. If the helmet is approved, which I'm betting it couldn't possibly be, the strap would be a killer. :)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hi tech of the 50's to present, take a look at Langlitz Leathers of Portland Oregon. Then and now custom built to fit you and very efficient protection evn with todays Armour whichthey don't normally us, although If you insist they may be convinced to put it in for you, or atleastbuildin the pockes for it where you want them. If you feel that Aerostich is exspensive don't bother getting a Langlitz price sheet, BUTT they build it to fit you and gareentee satifaction with it. Most of us on this forum will not live long enough to wear out a set of Langlitz.

I am still using my Teize suit, but still am thinking about a Stich and may take the trip to Duluth next year after Spearfish. If that doesn't work out at Duluth I just might get a new tailored fit Langlitz suit, Yes If severe rainis encountered for a long day ride I may need to use my rain gerar, but a well treated langlits goat skin will shed a lot of water before it will get to you. As for not having it worn out by the time I have to quit riding or etc, in my case I have a son that rides and can wear most of my gear so i know my stuff will have a good home to go to when I can no longer use it.

Another thing I personaly like about Langlitz; they will build in a special pocke t/ carrying spot for a specific item for self protection if you choose, you may even take tha item with you when you get measure as they are very friendly and understanding tha a good percentage of us like tha feature.

Eldon

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Eldon. I am considering getting a Teiz Lombard suit. Is there a reason you are still considering a Stitch ?

OP
OP

elizilla

I actually gave Eldon the recommendation to check out Teiz, and I have considered getting one myself. The full custom is attractive to me, but the women's suits are almost as expensive as the 'stich and I am not crazy about having separate liners. I might still get one.

Also, custom leathers are a very viable option. I have a set from Z Leathers that is my current go-to riding outfit. However you do have to have a rain suit. Also, I wore it on my trip this past weekend and it limits my ability to layer underneath, because it fits so perfectly. Between the time I ordered it and the time I received it, back in 2007, I lost ten pounds, so when it arrived it had room for more layers underneath. I have since re-found those ten pounds and the suit fits as intended. As a result, last weekend I found myself wishing my electric jacket was as perfect fitting as these leathers. The Z suit is not my first foray into custom leathers. I have an older custom suit from Vanson that fit me when I was 60 lbs heavier than I am now. I suppose I could load up on insulation and wear it for winter, but it would probably still be way too big. :)

Another option is Motoport - they will make custom size gear. They're in the same price ballpark as the rest, though. There are no cheap options for freaks of nature such as myself.

The women's size 'stich arrived today and I tried it on. They recommended a size 12. Apart from the expected too-short arms and legs, it's far, far, far closer than any other 'stich I have tried on. (I did own one, years ago, as well as trying on various suits belonging to other friends, so I have some experience of the various sizes they have historically made.)

I think I will need the back ellipse, the forward rotation of the sleeves, and the lengthened arms and legs. But I want to put it on again and sit on the bikes some more to think about it before I commit to a specific plan. And I need to decide whether I want to invest $265 in custom alterations, on top of a suit that already costs $900. It's still cheaper than custom leathers, but it's still a chunk o' change.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Katherine, I'm glad to hear that the women's 'Stitch at least has a chance of fitting. You've got to wonder how much business Aerostitch has lost over the years by not making one that normal women could wear comfortably.

OP
OP

elizilla

Well, at 5'11" I'm not a normal woman, so it's not surprising they never fit me right. But starting from a normal women's size, may finally bring me within the range of their available alterations.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
NOT just lost from womens sizes Phil, I was planning to go to Duluth last year and I tookKathrines good advise and gave Teize a shot. As you have seen it fits me very well, althoughI do have some issues and am stil shoping, , If Andy and company can come up with a good fit measurement at Duluth next summer i may let them try, if they can't fit me properly it wil be off to Langlitz where I know it will fit, and if it doesn't they will make it right even if they have to build a whole new one. Yes the Langlitz is a little more than twice the price figures Katherine lists for Stich, BUT It is right here in my back yard 30 miles away.

Top Bottom