Aerostich Roadcrafter is now available in women's sizes

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You've got to wonder how much business Aerostitch has lost over the years by not making one that normal women could wear comfortably.
Or doing custom fit suits... Now competitors, like Teiz, have sprung up to fill that niche and will start eroding in to their "off the rack" customer sales....

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

You are mistaken, we arn't fat, we are just middleaged pleasntly plump from too much fine wine and good eating, not to mention maybe working too many ours setting on our backsides:)

OP
OP

elizilla

Aerostich called me today. They have decided they cannot do forward rotated arms in a women's suit. I guess that they, like every other gear manufacturer on the planet, prefer to assume that women are all passengers and don't have to reach the handlebars. Sigh.

No, I said, it's not good enough to just delete that alteration from my order. I wouldn't have ordered it if I didn't need it.

I'm letting them send me a size 14 suit to try on, but I may end up just getting my money back. Grumble.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am not sure about the forward rotated arm part but Teiz makes custom suits for women. The Revolution Suit is getting close to Roadcrafter standards.

Last edited:
OP
OP

elizilla

Yes, I am aware of the Teiz suits and have seen them in person. But I have a couple reasons to prefer the Roadcrafter if I can get one:

1. I like how the zipper on the Roadcrafter starts at the neck and goes down. The Teiz starts at the ankle and zips up, which is awkward.
2. I have an intense dislike of removable liners for rain or cold. If the suit fits right with a liner, it's too big without. So which fit do you optimize for? And if it starts raining I don't want to take my suit off on the side of the road (and deal with its awkward zippers!) to install a special extra rain liner. And I don't want to have to carry that liner. If I'm going to muck with liners, I might as well just wear my leathers (which fit perfectly!) and put a rain suit over them.
3. Those cheeseburger hip pockets look stupid. I'd overlook this if not for the first two problems, since it's just an aesthetic complaint. It's not like any of these suits are sexy. :) But adding stupid-looking to the previous two complaints doesn't do the Teiz any favors.
4. The women's Teiz costs as much as an Aerostich and if I'm going to spend that much I prefer the higher quality USA-made item.

Men get a lot more choices at Teiz, including many less expensive suits without the cheeseburger pockets. If I were a guy I might go for one of them. But for now, eh, I'm not sure the women's Teiz offers anything I don't have in the gear I already own.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Katherine

I recently bought a Teiz Lombard V5 as a winter commuter suit. I was not sure if I would like a riding suit so I decided to invest $400 rather than $1,000 for a Roadcrafter. I agree with your comments about the zip in liners especially the waterproof liner. I will be just using the suit as a shell over my work clothes. When it gets below 30 I may have to put on a fleese top but I am hoping I dont have to zip in the liners. They make the suit bulky and more difficult to out on. The Lombard does not have cheeseburger :) hip pockets and in fact does not have any hip pockets. They do need to add pockets in the lower part of the suit but since I only plan on using it for commuting I really don't need many pockets. I have not worn it enough to give it a through review but I do like that it comes in Hi Viz which some of the other $400 suits do not and it has very wide reflective material on the legs, arms and shoulders. Since I ride to and from work in the dark this feature is very desireable. The floor length zipper is also someting most of the other less costly suits do not have although as you point out it zips in reverse of the Roadcrafter.
Good luck in your search for the riding gear that meets your needs. I have a closet full of gloves, pants and jackets and I am still looking for the set up that makes me happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

elizilla

The size 14 Roadcrafter arrived today. The shoulder problem is worse than it was in the size 12 suit. The forward rotated sleeves would have solved this, but it is not to be. :( I guess I will just save my money for the day when someone, somewhere, builds the right suit in the right size.

Bike
Hi Katherine,

That is a bummer, I had hoped for a much better report than this. I believe you completly,BUT I can't believe thier bullheaded stupidity.

I still have been considering a stich, but now I don't now, I am seriously reconsidering even giving them a shot at me.

Perhaps a trip to Portland Or and paying a visit to Langlitz is in my best interest, The one thing I do know, is if I do that the suit will fit perfectlywith top of the line workmanship along with all of the specialty additions I want built into it; and I can trade my old set in on the new ones.

Eldon

Last edited:

Nicole

Has anyone asked teiz to change the lay out of their zippers?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Yes they have. There is a running discussion on the advrider.com forum with Teiz. They seem to use this forum for voice of the customer feedback. If I remember they were not receptive to changing the zipper. I don't find the bottom up zipper to be much of a problem.

Last edited:

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
abdominally ... uh ... well-endowed
I'm an old, fat guy but I don't find the zipper to be an issue. Whether you zip from the bottom or from the top, at some point you have to bend over far enough to reach the leg hem.

When I asked about it, I was told they didn't want to use a double zipper, so if you want to be able to unzip the neck/top it has to zip from the bottom. However, Teiz seems willing to modify their designs based on customerrequests/comments. Upgrades have been introduced at an unusually rapid pace. I bought one of the first version 4 Lombards last May, and they recently upgraded to version 5. My experience is that although I asked for several custom changes to my suit, they were very willing to work with me. Overall, the customer service was beyond my expectations.

Advrider is only one of the forums that have an ongoing discussion about Teiz. They have 217 pages of discussions, complaints, and customer service experiences. Especially given the often "earthy" and negative tone on Advrider, I'm impressed by the level of positive enthusiasm for Teiz products.

That said, I've read several complaints about the price of the female style, relative to the cost for the men's suit.

Ken

Last edited:
OP
OP

elizilla

I really shouldn't gripe about the price of the women's Teiz. Most manufacturers only make their low end riding gear in women's sizes, and the high end stuff only comes in men's. Teiz chose to approach it from the other direction, which is kinda refreshing. For someone like me, who already has a lot of kinda-sorta-adequate gear, if I'm going to buy anything else I want all the features, not just the dumbed-down shrink-and-pink stuff.

OP
OP

elizilla

I talked to Aerostich yesterday and they think that they will soon be offering the forward rotated sleeves on the woman's suits. They say we should talk again in the spring.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My good news is that I got an email from Aerostitch that they've finally completed repairs on my bananna suit and it's on its way back to me. Yay!! I've missed it soooo much!

OP
OP

elizilla

The new Roadcrafter R3 comes in women's long sizes. I am about five pounds heavier today, than I was when I tried the women's 12 regular back in 2012, but I'm still wearing the same jeans, so I went ahead and ordered the 12 Long. It arrived in November. It was a little tight in the thighs. The arms and legs were slightly short. But most importantly it was tight across the back of the shoulders. If I were trying on random mass market riding gear, and found a suit that fit that well I'd have bought it on the spot, but for what we pay at Aerostich I am pickier. So I sent it back and asked for a 14 Long instead. The 14 Long arrived yesterday. It fits well enough that I am seriously considering just keeping it as is and not getting any custom alterations. The only spot that binds, is that spot on the upper arms that makes me wish for forward rotated sleeves - and that spot doesn't bind on the bike; I only notice it when I'm trying to reach the ankles so I can zip them. The back ellipse they offer, would almost certainly solve this, but it might just solve itself as the suit breaks in and softens. I'm going to keep it for at least a week, and try it on each day, before I decide for sure. But it seems promising.

The elbow armor is set up so it can be shifted around to a wide range of positions. The way it came, it was too high on the arm and this made the arms feel weirdly misshapen. But I was able to move the elbow armor and take care of that. Now the arms feel OK and they are pretty close to the right length. If I were altering this pattern I might make them a quarter inch longer, but as they are they are close enough that no one but me would even think about it. (After a lifetime of finding too-short sleeves on everything, I am unusually focused on that spot!)

Would you ever have thought we'd see the day when a stock size Roadcrafter, with no mods at all, would fit me this well? Color me amazed!

We have about six inches of snow on the ground right now. I take the Ural out in the snow now and then, but I stay close to home and avoid the wet when it's this cold. It'll be a couple months before I will have a reason to report on the waterproofing. But when I do, I'll try to post a review for the R3.

Bike
Katherine,

I am quite cetain tha you will be pleased with the water proof testing. Last june I rode to russel on my crf 250 L to get the seat upgraded, On my way home I got into a frog chocking rain that lasted over 3 hours before I got to a place to stop for a break. my color top was slightly damp, my gloves were soaked and my boots dampened. All of the areas the stich covered was completely dry. This was a completely open bike stock except for a small windshield and a luggage rack and heated grips.I had been out in some rain previously and since as well aand I have no leakage problems to complain about. It just simply works.

Eldon

Top Bottom