OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
seagrass, that is NOT normal usage! all the other dipstick checks level did not go down in 8,000 mile oil changes(full syn) (can go 8,000 mile intervals). it is normal to use some now over 100K

Wow,,,thought you had over powered me in mileage!!!!
I was actually just wondering how close I was getting to your mileage on my NT but I've been riding with some of the folks on ADVrider who wave a little bit different and like to ride roads and trails I don't think the NT is suited for lately.

P.S. I'm on the red CRF250l in the back.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
seagrass, that is NOT normal usage! all the other dipstick checks level did not go down in 8,000 mile oil changes(full syn) (can go 8,000 mile intervals). it is normal to use some now over 100K
I think you may have misunderstood my post.

I was trying to say that it is "normal" for any internal combustion engine to use oil, especially over a distance of 8,000 miles. If you ask nearly any mechanic they will agree that oil use is "normal", the fact that the NT700V does not use oil is just a bonus in my opinion.

If my NT700V that has traveled only 10,000 miles was using a pint of oil every 8,000 miles I would not be even a little bit concerned.

I do note your comment "It is normal to use some now over 100K" and I acknowledge that you are probably not concerned about this.

Seagrass

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I was actually just wondering how close I was getting to your mileage on my NT but I've been riding with some of the folks on ADVrider who wave a little bit different and like to ride roads and trails I don't think the NT is suited for lately.

P.S. I'm on the red CRF250l in the back.
Do you guys on the little bikes use that huge fuel tank on that GS to get the rest of you out of the back country :)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Congratulations on the 100.000!! this is definatly noteworthy and has taken a lot of perserverance to ride daily in just about everything!

Warren, the little bikes like the CRF 250 can have a after-market tank added, currently a 3.1 is available which will give you 180 to 210 miles depending on throttle control.

Eldon

Do you guys on the little bikes use that huge fuel tank on that GS to get the rest of you out of the back country :)
That photo was taken on a big adventure bike friendly ride so we didn't use the 1200GS or the KTM 640 in the front with I think like a 6 gallon plus tank to fill up but that was the plan if one of the bikes ran out of gas.
I have been doing some single track rides with some of the dualsporters where we filled up at every available gas station.
Edit: I'm in the back waiting to see if the DRZ is able to get across the fallen tree.
P.S. here's a video of that single track road just skip to 2:00 minutes.

https://youtu.be/fKiiLEXFecM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
a couple of maintenance things........found a crack in left side lid about 119,000. just a crack in plastic post, so I put epoxy around it. then I found one in the right lid, have yet to fix that one.
had my first "check engine light" error code 19, the ckp. I might replace that along with the clutch. first experienced this "symptom" maybe around 60,000 miles. just filled with gas, crank, crank, crank, nothing.....seemed like kill switch was off. then last week in mountain trip took 10 min of trying different things to get it to work. then when back home, did it again with the error code, aha, now I know what it is! so my clutch can slip / make some noise when starting out after sitting whether warm or cold. now have 123,728 miles.
THIS A WARNING.......MELLOW.......I WILL BE REQUESTING THAT EXLUSIVE 125K STICKER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS!!!!! ONLY 1 MORE STICKER ON THE SITE,,,,BETTER UP STICKERS TO 200K, BUD

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
a couple of maintenance things........found a crack in left side lid about 119,000. just a crack in plastic post, so I put epoxy around it. then I found one in the right lid, have yet to fix that one.
had my first "check engine light" error code 19, the ckp. I might replace that along with the clutch. first experienced this "symptom" maybe around 60,000 miles. just filled with gas, crank, crank, crank, nothing.....seemed like kill switch was off. then last week in mountain trip took 10 min of trying different things to get it to work. then when back home, did it again with the error code, aha, now I know what it is! so my clutch can slip / make some noise when starting out after sitting whether warm or cold. now have 123,728 miles.
THIS A WARNING.......MELLOW.......I WILL BE REQUESTING THAT EXLUSIVE 125K STICKER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS!!!!! ONLY 1 MORE STICKER ON THE SITE,,,,BETTER UP STICKERS TO 200K, BUD
Typical Honda rubbish, makes you wonder why anyone buys them, I would expect to get at least 200,000 miles before you need to replace a clutch let alone a CPK :wink:

Think I will sell mine now to avoid any problems (it has done about 7,500 miles) :rofl1:

Seagrass

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
wow...you just earned 3 and 7/8's thumbs up.....can't get much better than that.. (I always leave a little wiggle room when awarding "Thumbs" just to give the next guy something to shoot for)
100k on a bike is indeed an accomplishment for both man and machine.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I replaced the CPK on my bike about a year ago after experiencing No-Start situations twice while on a multi-day trip. I'd crank, and crank, and crank to no avail then the engine would come to life. After I got home, I checked the error codes and it showed #19 so I replaced the CPK sensor and it has worked fine since.

With the right side engine cover removed it's easy to get to the CPK sensor and also the clutch.

Clutch cover removed.jpg

I removed the muffler and had to loosen the nuts for the rear pipe (at the cylinder head) if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I think my 2011 NT700V has finally passed the mileage of your 2010 NT700V.
Current miles.

& Current kilometers.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Congratulations to your both! I don't have a prayer of catching you if you keep riding. But I'm still in line for a podium finish. :)

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
ya you got me by about 1,000 miles, and there you go again showing off KM

Top Bottom